Disc brakes question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience over the years, I have had no disc warpage when using a torque wrench on my wheel nuts. Since the wheel is not connected/bolted by the studs and wheel nuts to the discs why should incorrect tightening make a difference? Thanks.

Last edited:
When you consider that run out is measured in the thousandth of an inch, it doesn't take much over-tightening of one or two lug nuts to achieve that and have the rotor twist and bend.

Besides that, torquing to mfgr. specs will ensure that your wheels stay on the car.

On some cars (like mine) the brake disk sort of "free-floats" on the hub when the wheel is unbolted. If the disk is skewed, then some ham-fisted monkey with his impact wrench set on "annihilate" reefs the lug nuts down, especially if he doesn't follow the correct sequence, it can put uneven stress on the disk.

I've seen some guys put the lugs down snug and then hold the trigger until they won't move any more. I had to put a 3-foot piece of pipe on a tire iron to get them loose so I could re-torque them correctly because they were going NOWHERE with my X-wrench.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've seen some guys put the lugs down snug and then hold the trigger until they won't move any more.

I do that almost every day, but that gun isn't tightening past 40 ft. lbs. or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back