Power Steering Fluid vrs. Hydraulic AW ISO 68

Status
Not open for further replies.
URGENT!!!

I have a customer that insists on using Hydraulic AW ISO 68 as his Power Steering fluid in a Toyota Corolla 2000.

If somebody has a comparison, damages and problemas that could happen on doing this please.

Thanks to all of you

Power steering systems are hydraulic systems, so it's not crazy that someone would want to use another fluid. From what I remember Toyotas aren't picky about what fluid you use as far as genuine power steering fluid vs Dexron atf, so hydraulic fluid should be fine. The viscosity of the ISO 68 is 8.5 cSt @ 100ºC.

When you are using transmission fluid (i.e. Dexron) in your power steering system, all you're really doing is using transmission fluid as hydraulic oil. Probably be no problem.

The ISO 68 is 8.5 cSt @ 100ºC like I said before and the Toyota manual calls for dexron 2 or 3. Dexron 3 has a maximum viscosity of 7.5 cSt @ 100ºC, so the ISO is marginally thicker than necessary but should be fine.

Some power steering systems are picky, like Acura/Honda but not Toyotas.

I would keep Dex II/III in there. The friction modifiers are specific for it. It might cause chatter in the steering with an unknown fluid.

Ultimately it is his car, if he asks you to do it, it is on him for issues.

Last edited:
Hello, Did you ask him why?

1) Got the AW ISO 68 for free or had it lying around
2) Was told to use it by a friend
3) Just a general 'know-it-aller'
Kira

Originally Posted By: ARHND
He used it just because he wanted to prove that nothing happened.

Thanks

An event happening in the short term or long term????

If it was my shop I would not guarantee any work for him.

Originally Posted By: ARHND
Guys is the viscosity of Power Steering 7.5 cSt? or whatg is it?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

An ISO 68 hydraulic oil would be slightly thicker at 8.5 cSt to 9.6 cSt verses a DexronIII-like ATF at 7.5 cSt.

While an application specific PSF, ATF, and the ISO AW 68 are all hydraulic oils, each uses a different PI (additive) package and mix of base oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back