Peak Global vs Zerex Asian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know if either is suitable for my 04 Subaru Forester XT. I will be using either with the Subaru Coolant Conditioner (which Subaru mandates when changing Coolant) since I am rather afraid of head gasket leaks and the car is becoming rather leaky overall.

http://www.fcpimport.com/products/subaru-oem-coolant-system-conditioner-soa635071

Here is a post indicating the requirements which I need to abide by:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=835751&postcount=8

apparently needs to be.....non-silicate, non-phosphate and non-amine type.

Both are a pain to get and can sometimes be expensive when you need it most.

Again I'd like to use Peak Global or Zerex Asian.

Is either ok? Do you have a preference for either? Is there another candidate that I can buy locally at Advance Auto or Autozone perhaps? I wish that I could use their store brand stuff to expand my options, but I think that they are all Dexcool clones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm, based on your legacy link if authoritative, it would seem that Peak Global Lifetime and Subie oem are very similar. No silicate and no P fit the PGL extended life OAT profile, and it has no 2eha. It is available at select NAPA stores, in full strength . The 50/50 PGL premix can also be found at Walgreens and many KMarts. Full strength is preferable and more cost effective mixed with distilled water. I'm currently using it in a Tacoma.

Otoh, ZAF is Asian P-HOAT, as that indicates, it contains Phosphates. Unlike PGL though it is only available in a premix. Also available at NAPA.

Looks like PGL is the way to go here. And yes the majority of store brand AF's labeled all makes models universal are Dexclones containing 2eha.

Thank you all very so much. I love coming here. Very few trolls when you ask a question.

I'll seek the Peak lol!

Here are my genuine Subaru choices. I am rather anti dealership though due to some of the experiences that I have had with 2 local dealerships. I avoid the dealer at all costs unless I am pressed against the wall.

Here are my genuine Subaru options...there are 2 of them.

http://www.fcpimport.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&keywords=subaru+antifreeze&%2Fsearch=%2Fsearch

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Just wondering, what does a gallon of Subaru AF go for? Does it come as full strength or as a premix, both?

It is $25 a gallon for premix. Just called my dealer. I spent a good part of my day looking for Peak Coastal and I could not find anything that was not premix. It was still cheaper than the Subaru stuff though.

Yes, full strength PGL can be difficult to find. The best way I found is to online search different Napa stores using Part number PEA 00407. About ~$14.50 in this area.

Besides Napa, the premix can be found at some Kmart's and Walgreens. I'm guessing for about half the cost of dealer quote for oem. Still a bit surprised to learn Subaru calls for no P in the AF. Makes it sound very similar to PGL.

I run Subaru coolant so far in both my cars. The full strength stuff was about 16 a gallon last time I bought it, that was over a year ago. Additive is good for NA 2.5l engines. There is some debate over wether or not it should go in to turbo engines. I don't run it in the LGT.

I've used peak global in a few cars. I'm running in the Boxster right now. At some point I'll switch the LGT over. I have another gallon on hand, so will be while. My forester uses the newer stuff, and will get its first change soon.

If your preference is not to buy from the dealer, than run Peak Global lifetime with confidence.

Your car spec'd the 'long life coolant'. Which is available in full strength, looks like about $22 per gallon now:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-coolant-and-conditioner.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Just wondering, what does a gallon of Subaru AF go for? Does it come as full strength or as a premix, both?

It is $25 a gallon for premix. Just called my dealer. I spent a good part of my day looking for Peak Coastal and I could not find anything that was not premix. It was still cheaper than the Subaru stuff though.

Serious? Dude, you need to find a different Subaru dealership for parts. I bought a gallon of Subaru Super Coolant premix last year, and while I can't recall the exact price, it was somewhere around $14 or $15. Not terribly more than what a gallon of Zerex of Prestone would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back