Hot weather tires me out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever hot weather hits,I start feeling slower,sleepy,no energy. I'll feel better when I'm in a/c for a while.I know it's "the heat",but what exactly happens and what can i do to lessen these symptoms? I see other people around me work like nothing. I work outdoors.I do drink a lot of water to see if it helps,but not really.Thanks.

Diet makes a difference, a few bananas might help. It takes time to acclimate to heat. If you are overweight it will slow you down bigtime.

Eat some sardines. Probably two cans a day. Pure protein, no carbs and not expensive. Look at food as fuel.

How much do you weigh and height? Also do 25 pushups, situps and squats plus at least a 30 minute walk per day.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Eat some sardines. Probably two cans a day. Pure protein, no carbs and not expensive. Look at food as fuel.

How much do you weigh and height? Also do 25 pushups, situps and squats plus at least a 30 minute walk per day.

Sardines...... How I have not heard of peps eating them since my grandpa did back in the 70's. Loved them myself....... Thank you for the reminder there silver
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Skid
Sounds like a heart problem.
Serious??? I don't excersize and when i do physical work,i getwinded.I'm 5'6" and 180.I do have a small belly but no handles at all.

how much water do you drink? caffene? im 5ft8in and 200 lbs i drink atleast a gallon of kangen water every day. i worked all day in the heat,put my shorts on about 2pm. now im hoping on my quad for a little putt.

I'm always lethargic when its humid out. Lungs don't appear to work 100% for me on the hot days.

Eat healthy, drink recommended amount of water.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Skid
Sounds like a heart problem.
Serious??? I don't excersize and when i do physical work,i getwinded.I'm 5'6" and 180.I do have a small belly but no handles at all.

Seriously? You're basically out of shape. Lose some weight and go to the gym, once you're in better shape, everyday things seem easier. I use to run a 10k race that I thought was pretty hard, but then I ended up training for a marathon and then did the race a couple weeks after the marathon and I thought it was easy, didn't know why I thought it was hard before.

When I working outside, I drank plenty of water. Break a sweat get soaking wet, you will feel better than dreading to sweat. It is a metabolic boost. Heh heh, that was before breast cancer. Now I sweat to the point of frenzy and I'm useless until I cool down. It is a side effect of the meds I have to take.I cover up and soak my hat, bandanna and shirt. I work a liitle. then go take a rest about every hour. I used to work 9 hrs a day in the summer.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The only time the heat ever really got to me was when I was in the tropics last year in late May before the rainy season really starts.

OMFG it was like being inside a sauna. All the locals were wondering why us northerners were just shot.

I'm a fat guy, and I prefer the heat to the cold. We were working today in 95-100 deg heat, although the humidity is low. Lots of good advice above, but I see plenty of fat guys (including framers, who do some pretty heavy work sometimes) that do fine in the heat.

What is your height and weight? I used to be pushing 260 lbs at 5'10. Now I'm 194 lbs and feel like a different person. Which is motivation to not only keep it off but keep losing lbs. I still indulge but cut back on other things or cut them out entirely.

ok how old are you? probably the biggest factor here given the myriad of different advice.

if you are 25 and get winded doing work thats not good...

if you are 65 and get winded may be normal but could also be some cholesterol and clogged arteries creeping up on you

I havent been all that energetic the last 3 days either. but more because we are not used to 100 degree weather. If you feel fine working with the usual weather we have in socal, I wouldnt worry too much.

Why do you think they take siestas in Mexico? The body does not work well in hot and humid conditions.

They like cold crisp weather for marathons.

Just like a car you have to be able to expel the heat.

Monday it got stupid hot up here, and my first thought was "ok, I'm ready for winter now." No acclimation, it's too much for the system. Could just be that your body needs to adjust a bit.

I don't care much for the heat either. Being an office worker I'm used to being sedentary and at a pretty stable temp/humidity. It's always a bit of a shock to the system to go home where it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back