PUP vs P4 vs PUE vs PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
pennzoil.... omg stop confusing me.

so this is the way i see it as of now. please correct me if im wrong.

1 - Ultra Platinum - Best "group" of pennzoil oil made no euro
2 - ultra/ultra euro (better than P4 but being phased out?)
3 - P4 & P4e (pen plat w pureplus) second best currently made oil

so as it stands... once the current stock of ultra euro is gone.. then we have to "downgrade" to get a euro spec oil? is there not going to be a euro variant in the ultra platinum line?

if that the case, why cant i just keep buying ultra euro which is a proven leader?

and pennzoil.. really.. with the names.. jeez.

They're STILL trying to recover from the fact that "Ultra" and "Platinum" were too similar to be clearly differentiated the product hierarchy- namely that Ultra couldn't be proven to be "enough better" than Platinum to warrant the price difference, and Platinum never got away from the "is it REALLY synthetic or a blend?" stigma (not warranted, but there anyway). And so far they're just making it worse. :p

you got that right..

i think im just gonna stick with using whatever they recommend for the new darts that come out... i have enough oil for a couple more changes (provided my current leak doesnt get any worse lol)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
so as it stands... once the current stock of ultra euro is gone.. then we have to "downgrade" to get a euro spec oil? is there not going to be a euro variant in the ultra platinum line?

if that the case, why cant i just keep buying ultra euro which is a proven leader?

Disregard marketing labels and focus on PDS and the individual Euro mfg specs that it carries. If the newly named product still carries the same stringent mfg specs, then I would consider it equally good. Chances are, it'll be the same oil inside the bottle, just with a different marketing label.

i called the help line, and some really uninformed guy seemed to think there is a ultra platinum euro coming down the pipe.. he said they just changed the name of the ultra euro a bit... -_- ill just run out what ive got and worry about it then. lol

i called the help line, and some really uninformed guy seemed to think there is a ultra platinum euro coming down the pipe..

Before it was just the consumers that were confused.

Now if their help line is also confused, then SOPUS must have really gone nuts with all these marketing moves. Ugh...

i called the help line, and some really uninformed guy seemed to think there is a ultra platinum euro coming down the pipe.. he said they just changed the name of the ultra euro a bit... -_- ill just run out what ive got and worry about it then. lol

There is already an Ultra Euro, the 5w-40, has been for quite some time. The help line guy might be thinking of the recent news that BMW dealerships will be switching to Platinum Euro-spec 5w-30 in a few months instead of Castrol. .... And speaking of Castrol & Pennzoil, I used to think Castrol had the confusing marketing hype/labels, now Pennzoil competes there...

no the guy was talking about a different product.. he said there is and always will be an ultra euro that they are just changing the label a bit. i dont know for sure, but thats what he said.. im wondering if he is confused with pennzoils company line that p4e replaces pue

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
They're STILL trying to recover from the fact that "Ultra" and "Platinum" were too similar to be clearly differentiated the product hierarchy- namely that Ultra couldn't be proven to be "enough better" than Platinum to warrant the price difference, and Platinum never got away from the "is it REALLY synthetic or a blend?" stigma (not warranted, but there anyway). And so far they're just making it worse. :p

Exactly, which is why I will not recommend this brand to my friends.
Since they changed Ultra (low NOACK) to the new Ultra 3D Super Premium Pure Plus Minus Divide Euro F9, I just continue to say Mobil 1, Schaeffer's Supreme and or RedLine to my friends, neighbors and who else ask offline.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Disregard marketing labels and focus on PDS and the individual Euro mfg specs that it carries. If the newly named product still carries the same stringent mfg specs, then I would consider it equally good.

Exactly. Even we BITOGers don't fuss that M1 0w-40 isn't called M1 EP 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back