Gonna do diffs and ATF fluid 2012 Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated, I am going to do my first diff(s) and transmission fluid change on my 2012 Forester. I've watched a few tutorials on youtube, (how did I ever figure out stuff before youtube?) Seems pretty straightforward, no real worries there, I think...

Any other tips and hints? Oh, and I went with Pennzoil 56077 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (GL-5), but am NOT sure what ATF fluid yet, need recommendations. I am thinking http://www.amazon.com/Sopus-Products-Lub...+fluid+pennzoil
I kinda like to use Pennzoil stuff for everything, even my competition rifles like the Ultra, LOL.
Oh, and no CVT or anything, I have the 4 speed auto.
Thanks, let me know
Mike B

Last edited:
The only experience I have with the 4EAT was in my old '97 Legacy GT that purchased with 175k miles on it. It was a little finicky when I bought it, but not too bad. After maybe 5k miles I decided that Amsoil's ATF would be a better choice. It was mostl ikely a coincidence and due solely to age, but the transmission seemed to grow more and more finicky as time went on, with shifts becoming harsher (1-2) and laggy (2-3), beginning soon after the fluid swap. I dropped the pan and replaced the rock catcher at the same time.

After reading so many great reviews online of Max Life, I decided last year to try a drain-and-fill of it on our 2008 Civic. The 1-2 shift began flaring a little and the 2-3 began lagging soon after. Again, winter came on and was harsh this year, so this too may have been coincidence.

However, while I didn't try a new fluid in the Subaru, I did just perform another drain-and-fill on the Civic yesterday, using Honda OEM DW-1 ATF. I haven't driven it long enough, but the above-mentioned issues seemed to have lessened by a good margin. I plan to do another drain-and-fill next week, if I have time to dilute out as much of the Max Life as I can.

So, while my experience is VERY limited, it has made me decide that OEM ATF is the way to go, at least in my application. I have no idea what my options will be when it comes time to replace my CVT fluid.

OEM ATF,

for gear oil that pennzoil seems overpriced and up near motul(on sale), and redline prices

Tip: With differentials, it is strongly recommended to make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. They sometimes rust in place, unlike the drain plug that is always soaked in oil and is easier to remove.

Subaru changed friction materials in the 4eat in 2008, which is when they got away from the Dexron spec'd ATF. Subaru's ATF-HP is best in that transmission. The owners manual says you can top off with dexron in an emergency, but shifting will be affected. Also, you will need a T70 torx for the front diff, kind of an odd size.
If you don't have a pump to fill the rear diff, there is a plug you can remove under the spare to run a piece of tubing down to fill it.
Good luck !

Originally Posted By: Skeet6
As stated, I am going to do my first diff(s) and transmission fluid change on my 2012 Forester. I've watched a few tutorials on youtube, (how did I ever figure out stuff before youtube?) Seems pretty straightforward, no real worries there, I think...

Any other tips and hints? Oh, and I went with Pennzoil 56077 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (GL-5), but am NOT sure what ATF fluid yet, need recommendations. I am thinking http://www.amazon.com/Sopus-Products-Lub...+fluid+pennzoil
I kinda like to use Pennzoil stuff for everything, even my competition rifles like the Ultra, LOL.
Oh, and no CVT or anything, I have the 4 speed auto.
Thanks, let me know
Mike B

whats wrong with ATF-HP/PS Fluid - Genuine Subaru Factory Fill Automatic Transmission Fluid a
SOA868V9240
*MSRP: $6.65 (EA)
Online Price: $5.60

Evem on Amazon the OEM is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-SUBARU-ATF...=OEM+Subaru+ATF

Thats very good price compared to some OEM Trans fluids.

Cant go wrong with OEM Trans fluid.

Also there seems to be certifed OEM and professional Grade OEM that sonly 5$ a QT
http://www.amazon.com/SUBARU-AUTOMATIC-T...=OEM+Subaru+ATF

I guess if you do not want OEM, and if VALVOLINE MAXX LIFE fits your specs then by all means.. Its a real popular ATF here.

Or The Pennzoil you posted looks good but a high price

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
OEM ATF. I guess it takes the Subaru HP-ATF. I personally wouldnt use anything else.

Yea thats what I said.. the OEM is only 5$ a Quart at dealer and online..

There is 2 types OEM Certifed and OEM professional Grade Certified..

Not sure the difference.. but the OEM Professional grade is a lil cheaper

Perhaps 1 drop and drain wont hurt... but I like for most of my ATF to be OEM.

OEM it is, I surely will get the OEM stuff, I want to do the right thing with the tranny... no worries, thanks all so much.
The Pennzoil gear oil diff lube should be good though, right?
Mike B

I believe you're fine with the Penzoil. Regular changes are a good thing. Thery aren't too hard with the Subaru's having drain plugs - no need to drop the pan. I hit the drainplugs with penetrating oil to help them out. Be careful torquing the rear diff plugs if they have the pipe thread plugs - some folks have cracked the covers.

Sometimes NAPA or Carquest will sell an Eneos or Idemitsu fluid, two companies that supply many Japanese car companies. There might be one that is a perfect replacement for Subaru ATF, and may also have OEM certification. Unfortunately, you would need to go to your NAPA or Carquest store to find it.

Some Subarus have a spin on filter for the transmission. Check Subaru websites or a Haynes manual to know where your filter is located. I'm not sure when the filter was eliminated, and I don't know what the filter costs.

The filter was dropped in 2008. Nice to have, but the 4eat is pretty tough. I regularly towed with my old outback, and had no troubles in the 15 years I had it.

Check your owners manual, I believe it will say to use the Subaru ATF HP in the transmission, and the only alternative ATF fluid you can use is Idemisu ATF HP.

Do an internet search, a lot of people have run into issues after doing a drain and fill with other ATF fluids. So make sure you use either the Subaru ATF HP fluid or the Idemisu ATF HP fluid.

As for the differentials, I don't see the Pennzoil gear oil much. Most places I go to just have the Valvoline and Mobil 1 75w-90, along with their store brand.

Also, you might need a T-70 Torx to open the fill plug on the front differential.

OK! Cue the little Staples button... "THAT WAS EASY". I didn't do the tranny yet, as I haven't gotten to the dealer for the ATF HP, but the front and rear diffs are done, and it was a piece of cake.

Thanks all for the help!
Mike B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back