Scion FRS or Subaru BRZ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one would you coose and why ?

My son plans on buying one but I think the Scion is less money.
Besides the front and rear bumpers, these cars should be the same thing.

I've read the suspension is tuned differently, BRZ harder I think. Also I think they have different gadget packages which may account for some pricing differences. I imagine subaru and toyota have different warranties as well?

They're basically the same car with slightly different interior and exterior, so it really comes down to personal preference.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Which one would you coose and why ?

My son plans on buying one but I think the Scion is less money.
Besides the front and rear bumpers, these cars should be the same thing.

Of the two, I'd choose the BRZ as its suspension is more tuned for performance. The Scion is softer. But really, I'd just get a full-blood Subaru if I were in the market for an auto-X monster. The lack of a turbo on the FRS/BRZ kinda kills the appeal for me. They've got great finesse and handling, but need more brute power at times.

Iv been thinking hard about this teaser.
The cars has some real irritating teething issues.
Me Id go with the Toyo, as scion has a $1000 off at my dealer now and the car can be got much cheaper at Scion around here . and I DONT LIKE the metallic interior treatment in the subie - though I like the side vents
smile.gif

IIRC, Early comparos had the Toyota handing better - it may just be a matter of tyre and toe in ( set up)

I cant get consistenly OK premium up here so that's a deal killer -
Id look at the Focus ST too but again, that stale premium issue.

RWD in a light package is a real draw. The new Miata is suppose to be back to light an lithe with the redesign - U may wanna wait!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The lack of a turbo on the FRS/BRZ kinda kills the appeal for me. They've got great finesse and handling, but need more brute power at times.

That's what I've read as well. Weren't they planning to introduce turbo engines to the FRS/BRZ lineup?

Is the suspension in the BRZ really stiffer?

I guess since I'd be likely to swap out the suspension in either one I'd go with the one that had the list of features I wanted. I guess I'd rather have a car with a Subaru badge than a Scion badge though.

The FR-S does have softer front springs, but stiffer rear springs. It's set up more for oversteer, whereas the BRZ is set up to have higher limits and to be more neutral.

The BRZ has more features as standard. If you like those features, you might want to get the BRZ just because IIRC it'll be cheaper than adding those options to an FR-S.

It should come down to the test drive. Try both and see if you like one better. If you like them both the same, then IMO go with the BRZ just because its handling seems better set-up for normal-person street driving.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The lack of a turbo on the FRS/BRZ kinda kills the appeal for me. They've got great finesse and handling, but need more brute power at times.

That's what I've read as well. Weren't they planning to introduce turbo engines to the FRS/BRZ lineup?

The lack of a turbo is actually one of my favorite things about the FR-S/BRZ. :]

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Is the suspension in the BRZ really stiffer?

I've seen it reported a few times, but other sources are less clear. Maybe its just an ASSumption on the part of the writers given the overall image of the two brands (Scion- low-end affordable vehicles, Subaru- autocross heritage). A co-worker's wife has an FRS and they both love the balance and handling, although he was seriously disappointed in the power (but consider the frame of reference: his personal toy is a modified Mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo AWD).

Which one does HE like better??? Which one can HE negotiate cheaper? Which has better dealer networks around him? Subaru is prevalent in some places but maybe not everywhere...

BRZ all the way!! Don't listen to the lack of power argument. Everyone that I know raves about the BRZ. Heck it even came in 4th out of 12 in the Motor Trent Best Driver's Car shootout in 2012 (and was the least expensive by far) beating out likes of the Camaro and Mustang easily.

Last edited:
also plain old availablity... more of these cars are allocated to Toyota/Scion, than to Subaru.
"In the United States, Scion were allocated 10,000 units for the 2013 model year,while Subaru was limited to only 6,000 units."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_BRZ

I'm hoping used models come down in price over the next 3-4 years. My Nephew is 12 now, and i think one of these would be an awesome first car, with the goal of him being a better driver. (Only 2 seats, he can only take one hooligan along instead of a van full. RWD, Manual,but not hyper powered. He'd actually have to learn how to control a car)

Last edited:
I looked at both seriously last summer when I was in the market. The BRZ has a few more options available over the FR-S. I had chosen the BRZ between the two.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I'm hoping used models come down in price over the next 3-4 years. My Nephew is 12 now, and i think one of these would be an awesome first car, with the goal of him being a better driver. (Only 2 seats, he can only take one hooligan along instead of a van full. RWD, Manual,but not hyper powered. He'd actually have to learn how to control a car)

I heartily endorse everything you say, with the minor caveat that the FR-S/BRZ has back seats. They're small, but not Porsche 911 small!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back