Ford rolls last 4.6 off the assembly line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm guessing it went into an econoline?

It would have to be. A very good engine, one of ford's best ever.

It's a shame they killed off all of their workhorse vehicles - Ranger, Crown Vic, Econoline. Vehicles that, while not "Trendy" or based on the Focus/Taurus , had development costs paid for and sold themselves.

It's a shame they killed off all of their workhorse vehicles - Ranger, Crown Vic, Econoline. Vehicles that, while not "Trendy" or based on the Focus/Taurus , had development costs paid for and sold themselves.

Very true, So long old friend.

Indeed. The vehicles you named served their purpose. To replace the namesakes more R&D would need to be done to produce a vehicle with today's emissions, safety, CAFE, and reliability standards. I am certain Ford made the decision the best suits Ford's viability for the future.

Well said and so very true.

Obviously they know what they are doing at Ford and it must be working... can't say the same for Government motors or the Chrysler guys in recent years...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I'm guessing it went into an econoline?

It would have to be. A very good engine, one of ford's best ever.

If that plant is like the ford engine plant here, that last motor probably won't go into a vehicle.

Here, the last engine off the line gets autographed by all the folks on that line, and it is "loaned" to the county museum.

One of these days I'll get to the museum, and snap/post pics of their "last engine" collection.

01.gif

The 4.6 motor is an awsome piece,period! We've got one now pushing the 300,000 mile mark,valve overs never been touched.
wink.gif

Ive had 2 4.6 liter engines, both in F150 pickup trucks. No engine related issues whatsoever. Actually a couple of the best vehicles I have owned. I only worried once about having the smaller "underpowered" engine in a full size pickup, then I started reading about the problems folks were having with the 5.4 liter.

The California Highway Patrol is now keeping Crown Vic's much longer than before because they're still evaluating replacements. Evidently they make good patrol cars.

Although reliable, the 2v 4.6 just wasn't that good at anything. Terrible gas mileage, hp wasnt that great and really lacked the torque of the 5.4. I just hope they continue to build the 4v 5.0 because that is a great engine they have on their hands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Although reliable, the 2v 4.6 just wasn't that good at anything. Terrible gas mileage, hp wasnt that great and really lacked the torque of the 5.4. I just hope they continue to build the 4v 5.0 because that is a great engine they have on their hands.

It could be "Woke-up"
wink.gif
lol

Will Ford still make new 4.6 engines for sale as replacement parts? There are some trucks out there that have a worn out 4.6, and are worth repowering.

Well it's the same with GM getting rid of probably my favorite engine, the good old 3.8.

I personally would have preferred if GM kept the 3.8. Maybe give it VVT, AFM, maybe give it another valve per cylinder? I'd imagine we could easily be up near 285-300HP (turbo or S/C) or 240-250 (N/A). I'd also like to see it mated to a 6-speed automatic. Nice amount of torque... they did it with the GN's and with today's technology, why not.

But hey I'm probably nuts. The 3.5 is decent and I guess the 3.6 DOHC isn't bad. Oh well, I'm just a big 3.8 fan.

5.0 is a mod motor...5.4 is same basic thing as 4.6...its the 04 and later 5.4 3v versions that have some issues with the variable cam timing solenoids/phasers and stuck/broke spark plugs....4.6 went 3v in like 09...most all the early ones had spark plug blowing out problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back