Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the length. Please read through. I need help.

My wife's car is a 2010 Honda Civic LX with a 1.8L engine. We bought it brand new with about 50 miles on it, and it is our daily and most driven car. In the 4-5 years we've had the car, we've put around 76,000 miles on it. While on warranty, I always took it for maintenance and what not. But since then, I've been doing the work on the car since I work at a dealership and can do the maintenance for much cheaper. The car has always had the synthetic blend oil that is recommended by the manufacturer, but lately, since the car's miles are getting up there, I've been humoring the idea of starting to use Full Synthetic oil. My dad is an Amsoil Salesman and can get me a great deal on their 100% Full Synthetic oil that is rated for 25,000 miles in between oil changes. I have done my research on Amsoil and other full synthetic brands, and with the great reviews, and cheaper way to get Amsoil, I have really been trying to convince my wife that switching would be a good idea since it would help clean out the engine, along with keeping it clean and running strong for as long as it can. Which being a Honda, can be what seems like forever.
If anyone has any experience with using any Full Synthetic or knows anyone who uses, used, Full Synthetic oils in your's or their Hondas, please fill me in on how the car ran after using the oil. My wife is a very detail and proof oriented person, and I have reached my limits on what I know and could find on these oils.

Please help me out!!

"My wife's car" pretty well sums it up. Let her use whatever she see's fit. If your wife is detail and proof oriented, she will make a solid decision. Some battle's aren't worth fighting.

Chevy1500 - Honestly, if you are using a synthetic blend at a decent interval, such as what the manufacturer recommends, there is no reason you cannot keep doing what you are doing now. Plus, you know the entire history of the car, so it is most likely near spotless if you truly kept up on the maintenance with a good oil.

Amsoil has some fine products, but they are expensive, and I don't think you need it at all. I think it makes more sense for cities and whatnot that switch their fleet to not hassle regular oil changes and push it out to the long drain intervals.

Are you buying the oil now or getting it free? You could always buy a $25 bottle of Mobil 1 at that store with a W in its name if you want to switch to a synthetic. I know you are suggesting Amsoil is more of a true synthetic, but in real performance, Mobil 1 is superb and again, it's hard to beat $25 for 5 quarts. The top Amsoil product (Signature Series) has more PAO (Group IV oil) which you are probably referring to as true synthetic, but most of us in these forums accept that you get more performance than you need from all synthetic labeled products today. PAO is no longer the vital thing, but the entire formulation as a whole, and they keep improving the formulations over time. Therefore, a $25 jug of Mobil 1 is an extraordinary value. If you prefer Pennzoil (Shell), you can instead pick up a jug of their synthetic, tremendous product too.

What is the synthetic blend you are using now? You have the option obviously to stick with that too. I'd either stick with that or get those cheap jugs of Mobil 1 or Pennzoil synthetic. Actually I probably would get the jug of Mobil 1 because I'm a fan, but realistically if you stick with the synthetic blend and do recommended service intervals, you are treating your engine very nicely indeed!!

Last edited:
My 2006 Civic Si 2.0 called for a 10K mile oil change interval with 5w20. [Synthetic was not required.] Filter changed every other oil change. I always used Mobil 1 or O'Reilly synthetic 5w20 anyway, from 120k up to 220k no problems. Car used a lot of oil when i got it and used a bit more towards the end. If I had to do it over again, I'd just use something cheaper like Pennzoil conventional.

On a car like a civic, the only way Amsoil is worth it is if it costs, for example, just twice the price of a regular oil [or less] and you can then double [or more] the oil change interval. So to answer your question it just depends on how cheap you can get Amsoil and how much longer you will be extending the oil changes.

welcome2.gif

Fellow Hoosier.

Back to the topic at hand. Amsoil is a very fine blender. Amongst the best in the world IMO.
This being said I do not recommend just jumping to 25K OCI's without the proper testing is just asking for any number of potential problems for your engine. Do what is most cost and labor effective for your situation but verify for yourself it is a sustainable option and sleep easy at night.

HM12460...

Exactly. I figured I'd give it a try with my "connections" on better oil. But I agree, the "my wife's car" part does pretty much sum it up. lol

Last edited:
AYRTON

Right now, since I work at a Ford controlled garage, I have been using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil. It really has been doing really good, and the car has been running flawlessly with the oil. I was just wondering what I could find out with these other oils from you guys. Thank you for the info. It really is very useful.

Last edited:
With 76k miles in less than 5 years, I'm guessing that the car is used daily in a long commute.

Here are some of AMSoil's fine print on their Signature Series oil from their website:
SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

•Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
•Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
•In all non-gasoline-fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.
*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak or consume excessive amounts of oil, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak antifreeze and have properly working emissions control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive idling, vehicles with more than 100,000 miles without prior continuous use of AMSOIL motor oil, daily short-trip driving less than 10 miles (16 km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.

Since your car has less than 100k miles and is apparently not a short-tripper, you can probably take advantage of the 25,000 mile change interval. It could be cost-effective to make the switch and save you some maintenance time.

But what you're doing now is good, too. Synthetic blend changed according to the Maintenance Minder is all that Honda asks. Have you been noticing any changes in how the engine is performing which are prompting you to make a change?

If you can get Amsoil from your Dad for reasonable price I would go 1 year oil change at about 17k miles for your driving habit. Some years you may accumulate a little less miles, some other years a little more miles, Amsoil Signature Series can handle the extra miles easily. To make wife happy do an UOA when MM went down to 10-15% without changing the oil.

Yearly oil change is easy to remember, pick a date either early Fall or early Summer.

The cars my wife has driven have always gotten whatever oil I've decided to put in them, since she trusts me and acknowledges that I probably know more about it than she does, and she's fond of saying that I'll be the one who has to fix it.
We have never used any third party for routine maintenance on any car we've ever owned.
I'm much cheaper since my labor is free.
After all of the above semi-rant, Amsoil is undoubtedly better than anything the Honda store would put in this Civic, so if you can get it at a favorable price, use it.
Explain to your wife that it's a premium oil, a real step above the swill blend the dealer uses.

Originally Posted By: Chevy1500
AYRTON

Right now, since I work at a Ford controlled garage, I have been using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil. It really has been doing really good, and the car has been running flawlessly with the oil. I was just wondering what I could find out with these other oils from you guys. Thank you for the info. It really is very useful.

Chevy1500

Motorcraft Blend is respected around here. I wouldn't change a thing if you get that at a good price.

With a 25,000 mile OCI, you might as well just leave the oil in there and top it off once in awhile.

And start looking for a good putty knife.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
With a 25,000 mile OCI, you might as well just leave the oil in there and top it off once in awhile.

And start looking for a good putty knife.

That made me laugh out loud.

Awesome.

Ive been using Amsoil 5W30 OE on my 88-91 Hondas for a few years now. I get 10,000 km per oil change and the oil holds up amazing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back