which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
truth is, whoever still advises OPE engine users to use monovisc non-detergent motor oil should have their brains checked out by a shrink, or from other BITOG members.

SAE30 non-detergent oil is used (in my case) primarily in comet pressure washer pumps. you use non-detergent oil in your OPE you are guaranteed with piston rings gumming up and stuck.

Q.

I have a hard time believing that you were told that the engine would "blow up".

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I was going to get the oil 15w40 and tech from advance auto parts store told me is not good to used 15w40 in the tractor and telling me that engine will blow up so he told to get straight oil like sae 30 non detergent.

is this true?

Just buy some SAE30 detergent oil, store brand, Pennzoil Quaker State, Valvoline, doesn't matter. Your engine will use about 1.5 quarts, so buy 2 quarts. Change every 50 hours.

Avoid non-detergent oil at all cost. It is not made for internal combustion engines. The high school drop out cashier that gave you bad advice doesn't know better.

You can use a multi-weight conventional oil like 5W30 or 10W30, but expect it to consume oil at a faster pace than SAE30 or synthetic oil. Synthetic multi-weight oil doesn't seem to get consumed like conventional oil does.

I run PP 10w30 in my B&S engine and have put 150+ hours on it without needing to add any oil, using a 50 hour oil change interval. I think Pennzoil yello bottle 10w30 would also be an excellent choice. Ed

@Rohan

There's nothing confusing about oil for OPE engines: just (a) treat it (OPE engines) like any other automobile engines when it comes to shopping for oil, just get a grade or 2 higher for heat and (b) change the oil frequently (25hrs or so).

Just get API SM/SN (ILSAC GF5 or 4)10W30, 10W40 or whatever you fancy (syn, semi-syn, no syn, poor syn, Gp3, 4,5 whatever) and use it.

It's really not gonna matter much so long as you use higher viscosity multiviscosity detergent automobile grade oil. Same kind of reciprocating engine design just like cars, same treatment at the end of the day.

Q.

Originally Posted By: knerml
It sounds like you have a Troy Bilt Pony tractor with a B&S 13.5 HP motor.

New models use 5W30 synthetic or 30W conventional.

Look up the motor's model number and pull the manual from the B&S web site for accurate info.

This is the correct way. Why take random guesses?

Briggs recommends syn 5W30 at all temps, SAE30 used above 40 degrees F, dino 5W30 used below 40 degrees F, and dino 10W30 below 100 degrees F, cautioning that using dino 10W30 above 80 degrees causes excessive oil consumption.

Name brand 10w30, 15w40, SAE 30: I doubt your air cooled engine will feel the difference. .

I personally would use 15w40, but whatever's cheapest is my next best suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back