New Wix 57055 for Subaru 2.5 FB motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been anxiously awaiting an aftermarket alternative to the OEM Subaru/Honeywell blue filters for the 2013+ Legacy/Outback 2.5 FB motors. I had originally laid up a stash of the Tokyo-Roki black filters, but my supply is now gone.

Fram lists the XG7317 as the replacement in the Ultra line, but its bypass valve setting doesn't match Subaru's, so I've been a little hesitant to go with it even though the Ultra looks like a great filter.

Now Wix is FINALLY listing a 57055 as the replacement filter for the 2.5 FB motor. I assume this is a new product, as I haven't seen it until today.

My question is has anyone located, laid their hands on, or installed one of the 57055's yet?

Wix 57055

Last edited:
Because Subie engines put out syco oil flow. It's been discussed in many long threads, and there are many theories. One of my theories is that the OEM filter is set that high because of the design of the filter in conjunction with the high flow volume of the Subie oil pumps.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The NAPA Gold 7055 should be the same thing. It doesn't show the bypass spec on NAPA's website. Check with your local NAPA dealer and see if they have more info.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Filter-Gold-/_/R-FIL7055_0412832397

Yeah I saw NAPA had the filter in their system too, but it lists as not available for my store. I found that Wix had only started producing these on 9/2/13, so I figure it will be a few weeks before they filter down the product pipeline.

I still can't understand why they spec the 57830 for the Forester that has the 2.5 FB motor. I wonder what the difference is between the two other than the can size. Subaru OEM has a short/fat filter (15208AA130) and a long skinny filter (15208AA160) that have reportedly been used interchanably by dealers. The 57830 appears to be a Wix version of the 15208AA130 filter. There is a 1 psi difference in bypass?

Wix 57830

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer

I still can't understand why they spec the 57830 for the Forester that has the 2.5 FB motor. I wonder what the difference is between the two other than the can size. Subaru OEM has a short/fat filter (15208AA130) and a long skinny filter (15208AA160) that have reportedly been used interchanably by dealers. The 57830 appears to be a Wix version of the 15208AA130 filter. There is a 1 psi difference in bypass?

Wix 57830

I noticed the Beta Ratio spec looks pretty bad.

Beta Ratio: 2/20/75 = 26/>50/>50

So what WIX is saying is shown below, with is pretty useless really:

50% efficient @ 26 microns
95% efficient @ >50 microns
98.7% efficient @ >50 microns

If the Subaru does have extra high oil flow, why not go with a filter that has twice(or more) as much filter medium in a larger filter for better flow with a lower PSID ? Specially for one out of warranty.

Cut open those wix before using them. If they are like some of the subie spec'd ones I've cut open in the past they have much too little media for my preference.

The oil filter for the Honda S2000 has a high by-pass and the S2000 flows a lot of oil at 9,000 rpm and I believe it's larger than the stock Subaru oil filter. Or if you have room for a even larger filter take a look at a Baldwin B202 and see if it will fit.

I was able to purchase six of these Wix 57055 from Rock Auto and Napa has them in the Napa Gold 7055.

I installed the 57055 on the Forester yesterday. It looks like a quality filter. It has the higher bypass PSI. I REALLY like that it has a silicone ADBV. I want to stay away from nitrile whenever possible. The OEM Tokyo Roki and Honeywell both have nitrile ADBV's. I will use the Wix for now.

I wish Fram would make an Ultra or Tough Guard with the correct bypass rating. The Fram xx7317 has the wrong rating for Subaru FRAM!

I run the XG7317. I'm not concerned about the bypass rating.

I would rather have double the media and lower bypass spec, then half the media and high bypass spec.

Originally Posted By: webfors

I would rather have double the media and lower bypass spec, then half the media and high bypass spec.

If you are concerned with the filter going into bypass or not, that is up to you. But, if Subaru sets the bypass PSI higher because the pump is pushing oil at a higher pressure, you will most likely be in bypass until the engine is up to temp.

Subaru sets the spec for a reason. I will use filters with the correct specs.

Are you saying Wix is inferior? I do think that Fram Ultra and Tough Guard are good filters. I have the XG7317 on the Civic right now.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

If you are concerned with the filter going into bypass or not, that is up to you. But, if Subaru sets the bypass PSI higher because the pump is pushing oil at a higher pressure, you will most likely be in bypass until the engine is up to temp.

Are you saying Wix is inferior? I do think that Fram Ultra and Tough Guard are good filters. I have the XG7317 on the Civic right now.

Wix make good filters. What I'm saying is historically the subie spec'd wix have almost no media due to the top end bypass. I'm not a fan of filters with little media.

Cut that one open when your OCI is done so we can have a look!
grin.gif

Please post a link to data that shows the delta p across a subaru oil filter and how it is in bypass on startup. This is a long debated point on the internet that people never back up with actual data. Meanwhile millions of subarus run everyday on oil filters without the high bypass psi. Bypass psi depends on the filter media so a blanket statement that all filters will require the high bypass psi ignores the basic facts of how a oil filter functions. The filter manufacture knows perfectly well the flow requirements and if they spec a filter for a subaru (such as the Fram Ultra) it will work just fine.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Please post a link to data that shows the delta p across a subaru oil filter and how it is in bypass on startup. This is a long debated point on the internet that people never back up with actual data. Meanwhile millions of subarus run everyday on oil filters without the high bypass psi. Bypass psi depends on the filter media so a blanket statement that all filters will require the high bypass psi ignores the basic facts of how a oil filter functions. The filter manufacture knows perfectly well the flow requirements and if they spec a filter for a subaru (such as the Fram Ultra) it will work just fine.

Here's real Flow vs PSID data on a medium sized PureOne. This one has ~100 sq-in of media area. As you can see, even if this filter was on a Subaru, it would take more oil flow than even the Subaru engine could put out at red line to make a filter like this PureOne to go into bypass if the bypass valve was set to 12~16 PSI. There was only ~5 PSID at 12 GPM of hot oil flow.

PureOne Flow vs PSID Data from Purolator

And I agree that the bypass valve setting on an oil filter is also dependent on the flow characteristics of the filter. Maybe the Subaru OEM filters are pretty flow restrictive, and the reason they have a high bypass setting is so that the high flow oil pump doesn't put them into bypass too often.

THE FOLLOWING IS QUOTED BY SUPERBUSA

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Gary Allan said:
Quote:
Looking at the oil pumps output volume - 49.7 qts/min = 12.4 GPM - that's A LOT of oil flow. And that's at 43 psi discharge pressure, which means it can put out that much flow before it's pressure relief valve opens at 85 psi.

hmmm..cold flow and 45lb of differential? That would be only possible if less than half of the output (at whatever output the oil pump was producing) reached the engine @ 85lb. Which cannot occur if the pump is not in relief. We'll, for the moment, assume that the media could withstand 45lb PSID and had no bypass.

Call Bernelli.

Not quite what I meant. This is kind of long and drawn out to get the whole point across ... so hang in there.

Let’s look at those oil pump specs again:

Quote:
Pump Type: Trochoid type
Performance (oil temp 80 C which is 176 F)
5000rpm: Discharge pressure 43psi; Discharge rate 49.7 US quarts or more per minute
Relief Valve working pressure: 85psi

Imagine that the engine is running at a constant 5000 RPM, and the oil temp is 176 deg F. The oil pump will be putting out 49.7 qts/min (12.4 gpm) at an output pressure of 43 psi. Remember that the engine in this example is always running at 5000 RPM and never changes.

Now imagine that the oil is slowly cooled down … making the oil viscosity correspondingly thicker (higher density). The oil pump will keep putting out 12.4 gpm, but as the oil temp starts to decrease the pump’s output pressure will start to increase in order to keep the 12.4 gpm flowing.

Now imagine that the oil temperature is at yet a some cooler temperature – let’s assume the oil temperature is 100 deg F. The pump output pressure is now 84.9 psi … just at the verge of the pump to start pressure relieving. At this point, the pump is still putting out 12.4 gpm since the pump is still not in relief mode.

So, at this point, if the oil filter develops a PSID greater than its bypass setting, then it will also start to bypass. If the filter's bypass pressure was set to low for this engine, it's entirely possible that it could go into bypass with relatively warm oil since the pump's output is so high volume - much higher than most normal cars IMO.

Now imagine the oil temperature is starting to cool down once again from the 100 deg F point, with the engine still running at 5000 RPM. As the oil becomes cooler and cooler, more and more of the 12.4 gpm output gets spit back into the engine’s sump by the pump's relief vavle, and less flow goes to the filter/engine circuit. But, keep in mind that the viscosity is continually becoming greater as the oil temperature decreases.

Here’s the key … even though the flow rate going through the filter/engine circuit is becoming less and less as the oil cools down, the PSID is also coming down some due to less volume flow, but the PSID is not coming down very fast due to increase in oil viscosity factor … they cancel each other out to some degree.

So … lets assume that when the oil is cold (say 34 deg F) like shown in the chart below, that the oil pump is sending 4 gpm to the filter/engine oil circuit. Also assume that the filter being used has the same flow vs PSID performance curve as the black line (Fram Doubleguard) and has a bypass valve setting of 23 psi for the Subaru.

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

Well, you can see that in this case, there is a PSID of 23 psi across the filter, so it would be right at the verge of going into bypass mode.

Now assume you put another filter on the Subaru that had a bypass setting of 10 psi. In this case, the filter would have went into bypass at 10 PSID. Looking at the flow graph, this means that ~2.3 gpm will be going through the filter element, and the other 1.7 gpm will be bypassing the filter element to achieve the 4 gpm going to the system.

Obviously Subaru has specified a filter bypass valve setting higher than most engine manufactures because the oil pump is pretty high volume. Any oil pump that puts out 12.4 gpm at 5000 engine RPM at 43 psi discharge pressure also means the oiling system on those engines are not very restrictive, and Subaru wants to feed lots of oil volume to their engines for some reason.

Personally, I would not run any filter that doesn’t have the 23 psi bypass valve on this car … otherwise there could a lot more bypass action while the oil is cold and in the warm-up transition.

Bernoulli not required, and is out riding his Benelli, and unavailable at this time.
19.gif
grin.gif

QUOTE BY SUPERBUSA.

If I'm reading this right the assumption is that the engine is running at 5000rpm in all scenarios. Anyone that revs their engine at 5k rpm when cold is nuts. You won't see higher than 3k in my engine until it's fully warmed up. In which case bypass is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back