E92 BMW M3 Castrol 10w60 5500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why they think the car is new. I guess because the mileage is low?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's a good oil filter on there, what model is it?

Glad to see a 10w60 that doesn't show high wear metals.

I use the Mahle OX254D3 on the car. I am also very happy to see low wear on the engine. The sample is from about 6 months ago but I just never got around to sending it in. Current fill is Motul 300V 0w40 so I'm curious to see the next report. It will take me some time to put some miles on it though since its a weekend car.

Looks good. I'd run it past 5500. Keep us posted on how the 300V goes -- I like the new 0w40.

Your lead numbers are very low so you probably have the newer 702/703 bearings.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Looks good. I'd run it past 5500. Keep us posted on how the 300V goes -- I like the new 0w40.

Your lead numbers are very low so you probably have the newer 702/703 bearings.

I will do another report with the 300v and post it up.

Why do they say viscosity is in the 10w60 range, when it's barely hanging on to the low end of the 50 range?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Why do they say viscosity is in the 10w60 range, when it's barely hanging on to the low end of the 50 range?

I've often wondered that exact same thing! Especially if you check out a variety of Motorcycle UOA's you'll often find variations of the SUS Vis of a 40 grade oil. Here's an example of four UOA's off the first page: 69-76, 65-78, 67-80, 64-76; what's the purpose of having deviating levels if the measurements are meant to remain within a given spectrum (and their range being out of sync with standardized levels)? Are they taking into account fuel dilution and altering the specs based off that or from another variable?

Last edited:
Yeah,the 10W60 does look to be a "thin" 50 weight. I've seen 20W50's that have a 100C range between 18-20.

That oil is so thick, you must be doing immeasurable harm to the engine every time you start it cold! It has to be immeasurable because Blackstone sure can't find it. I'm sure you'd do much better with some super moly TGMO 0W-20 in your NY arctic climate.

Last edited:
With the TGMO at least you would be getting good gas mileage while the bearings siezed around the crankshaft. : )

I'm sure it's been discussed here before but you have to wonder if M1 in 0W-40 or 15W-50 would work just as well at TWS for 1/3 of the price.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
That oil is so thick, you must be doing immeasurable harm to the engine every time you start it cold! It has to be immeasurable because Blackstone sure can't find it. I'm sure you'd do much better with some super moly TGMO 0W-20 in your NY arctic climate.

I guess this supposed to be some sort of a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back