When good spindles go bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asand1
Removing the inner seals and installing a zerk would make them last a LOT longer.

Yep. Even many of them with zerks from the OEM still have sealed bearings in the spindle. I never could figure out why. Like you say, unless you pull the spindle apart and somehow remove a seal w/out trashing the bearing, that grease is doing nothing but filling a void I'd think.

You did good BD! That rider looks darn good for going on 13yrs old. Might wanna keep that deck blown-off with a leaf blower though. She looks pretty bad up top.

Last edited:
I saw the same thing with the spindles on a Husqvarna rider that a neighbor owned. Typical consumer grade stuff.

I'm on John Deere #3 and #4 (been buying Deere since 1987... when I was 16), and have yet to replace a deck spindle on any of them.

Deere #3 has 1200 hours on it, and Deere #4 has 2500 hours on it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: asand1
Removing the inner seals and installing a zerk would make them last a LOT longer.

You did good BD! That rider looks darn good for going on 13yrs old. Might wanna keep that deck blown-off with a leaf blower though. She looks pretty bad up top.

Thanks, JT. I'm just trying to keep this thing cobbled together for 2-3 years until the missus and I can escape the ratrace and semi-retire to our Vermont cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back