Small timing chain cover oil seep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I have a very small oil seep through the timing chain cover on my Mazda 3. I believe the cover has an RTV sealer applied at the factory and not the gasket (correct me if I'm wrong).
In any case, reading a thread by Ndx of a similar problem, I started to wonder if cleaning the area and applying some black or grey RTV to the cover and engine block joint where the seep is located would work.
The seep is very small and I think that some RTV "worked in" a bit with the finger might seal the small gap.

What do you think?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The seep is very small and I think that some RTV "worked in" a bit with the finger might seal the small gap.

I've done that before and it usually works well. Dry the area very well and, if possible, don't drive the car for a day or two after you apply it so it cures as well as it possibly can.

Never had a car that didn't seep a bit here and there.
I sleep well at night.

It ain't a show car and no drips on the ground or on anything that would be adversely affected by a bit of oil.

Gee, I recall the old M1 tri-synthetic REAL synthetic oil would climb right out of a tightly capped opened partial bottle and leave a puddle under the bottle.

Can't keep a good oil in its place.

Is the seep down on the rear of the engine just a little bit above the AC belt? My wife's 3 has a bit of oil building up there too, very slowly. I'm deciding not to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back