Rust prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
Hope this is the right place to post this haha
I was just wondering what everyone uses to prevent rust. Since I think the aim of most people here is to maximise the longevity of their vehicles, rust is my main concern.

After 14 years my car is in pretty good shape, but I have found some rust throughout.
This includes under the door seals, behind one taillight, surface rust in the boot and a lot of rusty stone chips underneath. Nothing major or too advanced.
I have covered most of the car in fish oil, underneath, engine bay, boot and I also spray a bit of WD-40 here and there every so often.
One thing I've found with the fish oil is that it seems to soak up water, it's dried on a clear yellow colour but turns cloudy when it gets wet so I'm not sure it will be effective.

No salt is used on the roads round here but I am close to the sea so it occurs naturally anyway and we get some very rainy spells at times

Has anyone had experience with a couplertec or similar electronic 'rust preventing' device?

Jacob

I'd be worried with an oil that is able to hold some water. Over here we have a lot of options, from lanolin-based stuff to waxes to creeping oils. IMO the creeping oils are the best, as the lanolin stuff washes off, the waxes can create wet pockets underneath... The challenge with the oils is mess.

All of the different products have their places. For example, inside a door panel, the lanolin or wax might be fine (oems often use waxes inside doors and closed areas as it is). Other places maybe not. Application is another challenge.

Some oils are more hydrophilic than others. You really should use a barrier coating such as Fluid Film or Texaco Rustproof Compound (if they still make it). They are very hydrophobic.

The problem with coastal corrosion is that it has a different pattern than with deicing salt corrosion. On the coast, corrosion is much heavier on the top side of the vehicle, which is difficult to protect.

Stay away from the electronic devices. They are nonsense.

Do any women ride in your car that is sprayed with fish oil?

For a used vehicle look at Carwell or Fluid Film or Krown. Those are the widely used ones for used vehicles. For new vehicles there might be other products.

Okay thanks guys, I've seen the lanolin stuff and was wanting to try it but it's one of the most expensive ($13 a can as opposed to $3.30 for fish oil)
I also saw some spray grease which comes out like WD-40 and sets to a grease which might be a good option too

I see a lot of older cars with rust around the windows thanks to the salty air

And yes they do haha my girlfriend hated the smell of the fish oil when I first did it but she's one to talk!

So many mixed reviews and opinions regarding the electronic systems! I heard from a guy who installed a couplertec one and the existing rust turned gray and stopped completely, nearly everyone else says they're [censored] haha

IIRC They put fish oil in Desitin, cream for baby diaper changes. That stuff is sticky-- need Gojo to get it off skin, practically. Too bad it absorbs water-- I've looked at it and wondered about its automotive uses.

In Canada and Northern States salt is used on the roads in winter.
Myself, I get my cars sprayed by Krown. It's one of the biggest names
in Canada along with Rust Check. They have expanded into the US now.

Yeah road salt is a killer, I used to see a lot of cars with no arches or sills back in the UK, had to get the sills done on my car and rust proofed with bitumin type stuff. Not sure how to get hold of something similar over here but I will keep looking

I tried Fluid Film (it's a lanolin based product) last fall and it seemed to hold up well over the winter, I've added it to my arsenal of stuff to use. It's a bit messy, but under the car I'm more concerned that it works. The easy part I like, just scrape off the loose rust and spray this stuff on, it's in an aerosol can.

Also, watch out for dirt and organic material building up in nooks and crannies. Years ago, I had an International Harvester Scout. The front fenders were rotting out on the top. I noticed other Scouts that had the same problem. Upon investigation, I found a small ledge inside the fender at the top. Road dirt would build up on the ledge, absorb and hold moisture, causing rust.

More recently, I noticed the bottom of one of the doors of my Cruiser had some rust starting. Now the doors are pretty well sealed, but we have a lot of trees and they drop a lot of debris. Over the 14 years I've owned the car, organic debris from the trees built up in the bottom of the door. Not much, but enough to hold moisture and cause rust.

Cars these days are pretty well sealed. The fender liners are mostly plastic, that doesn't rust. But there are still the occasional nooks and crannies that can hold dirt. Search them out and keep them clean.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
That looks like the stuff mate! Could I just spray over the top of the dirty fish oil?

I suspect that would be OK. The can says it can be applied to a damp surface. Obviously you'd want a bone dry surface, but you don't always have that luxury.

As someone mentioned, coastal salt is likely to be a different pattern than road salt. I'd try "Salt Away" in a sprayer for your coastal salt. Its really just a detergent designed to facilitate the flushing away of salt from the surface. Salt is inert and can't readily be 'neutralized' in the chemical sense. I've used it a few times. There's no way to tell for sure how it works, but it seems to rinse away very quickly when you switch from the solution to rinse, which I suppose is the whole idea.

Salt Away is a popular product with boat owners and I expect you can find it at your local marine supply shop. There are competitors, but the people who use this stuff say Salt Away is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back