Oversized Oil Filter -- 1999 Firebird 3800 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the over-sized filters will work on a 3800 Series II found in a 1999 Firebird? The car is new to me and I'm about to change the oil on it. I noticed the filter location is right towards the bottom of the engine and I don't know if the extra inch or so will cause any issues of debris hitting it or bottoming out on anything. I found a bunch of M1-201 filters (same size as the Fram PH3980/AC Delco PF52) which I know have the same threads and bypass specs as the Fram PH3387A or the AC Delco PF47 that is recommended for this engine, but I just wanted to double-check. I've used the over-size filter on the 2003 Malibu I maintain, but the filter is higher up and out of the way of any potential debris hitting it. Worst case scenario, I'll just use them on the Malibu but I'd rather use them on the Firebird since they're fairly expensive filters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Derek

I used the PF52 on a 3800 Firebird I had and never had any issues with it. That is a popular oversize filter for many of the PF47 applications as long as it isn't hanging down lower than the correct size. In your case it should not affect anything since it faces forward and not down.

Ah okay thanks! I pick up the car tomorrow so I wasn't able to double check the location. I just noticed it was towards the bottom of the block.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Ah okay thanks! I pick up the car tomorrow so I wasn't able to double check the location. I just noticed it was towards the bottom of the block.

I use the size/application from the '93 S-10 w/ 4.3L V6 which is longer and fits better than the PF52 for my '80 Firebird FORMULA 301 V8.

I changed the oil today and noticed that the longer filter comes very close to the sway bar (about 1" away). Is it going to be an issue?

20140511_132802_resized_zps12b87259.jpg

^^^ Plenty of room. The sway bar doesn't move around so you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back