What are your secrets to vehicle longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone
Basically I have a bit of a passion with keeping cars going for as long as possible. Despite being 18 when I bought my car, I chose it on it's mechanics and low mileage rather than how fast it is, what it looks like, what mods I can do etc. like most people my age!
A lot of people are on this site to gain information on what's best to keep their vehicles running in top condition for as long as they can.
What do you do as regular maintenance to keep your car going?

I got my car nearly 2 years ago (basics are in my signature) with only 115,000kms on it. It looked like it hadn't been overly looked after, in fact there was a spot of bat turd that had been there so long it had completely removed a spot of the clear coat on the hood!
Everything on it was (and still is) factory original including the rear brake pads and diff oil. These are extremely tough engines even though the lifters love to rattle a bit!
The car now has 175,000kms on it and has not let me down once and isn't showing any signs of doing.

I used to change the oil and filter every 10,000kms but I'm lowering it to 7,500. (Recommended is 15,000)
I plan on changing trans fluid, filter and gasket every 30,000kms or so
The diff oil is still factory fill! But I plan on doing this with my trans every 30,000
I have changed my spark plugs at about 135,000kms, will do these every 50,000
I've just replaced the coil pack and leads, basically because they were original and old and had a slight miss under load
I just changed my coolant, thermostat and gaskets and plan on doing this every 2 years
I applied some fish oil as a measure to prevent rust but it hasn't got much rust yet anyway
I also wash and give it a good wax with nu finish regularly and the paint has come up literally like new. I've given the interior a good valet as well and it has also come up like new.
Only thing is my shock absorbers are completely shot (from taking a big sedan off road) and my engine mounts are dead causing the car to shake at idle when in drive.

Other than that I haven't done anything to it and not once has it let me down despite copping a good flogging every now and then and off the beaten track, well into 4x4 territory.
It has turned out to be an excellent car for $3000 and I want to keep it as long as I can!

I'm interested in everyone's personal tips on how to achieve this
Thanks
Jacob

Personally, I think the biggest things are the little things.

Check oil and coolant every week, and tyres every second. Rotate the tyres every 10,000km.

That gives you a chance to see anything new before it becomes big.

10,000km OCIs will be fine, just use something decent (Repco synthetic is probably more than decent enough).

If you are playing in the dirt, don't run synthetics in the diff etc, pick a dino (SCA chief or something like that), and change it more regularly (2 years and 35,000km, on Mobil SHC ID, and my Caprice still had a lot of fuzz on the magnet...I'm going dino, and more often now).

Yep, check all those regularly as I've heard too many horror stories of people driving without realising they're losing coolant or oil!
Yeah never had a problem with 10,000 OCIs but I'm hoping lowering it a bit will clean it up some
Personally I don't really want to use synthetics, basically like you said I'm going Dino/semi and changing more often
smile.gif

+1 on the fluid level checks. Every week, I do mine Sunday morning, early, it's a good time, quiet around here. Make it a habit. Check the oil level & power steering fluid, eyeball the coolant level & brake reservoir. I always eyeball the tires too and check pressure if anything looks suspicious.

If rust is a problem where you are, I'd add that to the list. Once a year get under the car and look for rust. If you see anything starting treat it. I will admit I'm a little lax on this and regret it when I find rust has gotten a toehold on the vehicle. Voice of experience.

One thing I admittedly pay little attention to is the brake and power steering fluid. The level always stays the same but obviously it degrades regardless.
Is it a big job to change them both?

Oil maintenance is fairly easy and usually not overlooked by a seasoned shade tree mechanic. I honestly think the most important system on a car aside from oil is the cooling system. Always always always make sure it's topped off, the thermostat isn't sticking, the concentration is correct, fans are working etc. I think many cars get killed too early not from a lack of oil maintenance, but a lack of cooling system maintenance.

Last edited:
Don't abuse it. Drive easy, especially when it is cold. Anticipate and time traffic lights so you avoid full stops. This most pertains to gas mileage, but if you car is operating efficiently, logic dictates that you are going easy on the machinery.

I am amused at people who race up to a red traffic light. Being an XOM shareholder, I am also pleased to see it. I figure they're helping with my quarterly dividends.

You might be wasting money changing things out too early like thermostat, 2 years? gaskets 2 years? By replacing a gasket that is not leaking, you might do more harm then good. Follow manufacturer's recommendations they should work in my opinion, where most people mess up is not maintenaning their cars at all, I was one of them about 2.5 years ago. Fluids dependson the quality you can get in Australia, if it is anything close to the US market follow manufacturer's recommendations expect motor oil, I would do 2-3 uoa to pick a comfort spot for your Dino OCI .

Keep your money in your pocket by not overly maintenaning your vehicle unless you love doing all that work and want to do it for the peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oil maintenance is fairly easy and usually not overlooked by a seasoned shade tree mechanic. I honestly think the most important system on a car aside from oil is the cooling system. Always always always make sure it's topped off, the thermostat isn't sticking, the concentration is correct, fans are working etc. I think many cars get killed too early not from a lack of oil maintenance, but a lack of cooling system maintenance.

I am in complete agreement as to the importance of a properly operating cooling system.

While you may be correct in your experience I find it interesting to note that our entire fleet is rarely if ever serviced as far as cooling system issues. They simply do not happen anymore. I rarely even touch the systems until well beyond 200k miles. This is for probably about a decade or so IIRC.

Our fleet vans have heat exchangers grafted into the heating circuit that almost doubles the coolant volume so that may explain their longevity somehow. But our Silverados are all electric fans and bone stockers so what explains their apparent lack of issues?

Maybe it's the high temps around here?

I would certainly agree if your vehicle has a fan or Tstat issue you need to pay attention, I just don't own any here with those problems or even the potential for them...

Last edited:
It seems every vehicle I look at for a friend or acquaintance has an empty overflow tank and the level in the radiator is low.

On my Dad's Olds 88, I'm in the loop of using Stant thermostats and they usually start sticking open or hanging open after about 4 years and I replace them immediately so the engine gets to operating temp in cold weather. Maybe it's our climate that has temperature extremes from well below 0 to well above 100 that is so hard on cooling systems. maybe I'm just anal about it!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I am in complete agreement as to the importance of a properly operating cooling system.

While you may be correct in your experience I find it interesting to note that our entire fleet is rarely if ever serviced as far as cooling system issues. They simply do not happen anymore. I rarely even touch the systems until well beyond 200k miles. This is for probably about a decade or so IIRC.

Our fleet vans have heat exchangers grafted into the heating circuit that almost doubles the coolant volume so that may explain their longevity somehow. But our Silverados are all electric fans and bone stockers so what explains their apparent lack of issues?

Maybe it's the high temps around here?

I would certainly agree if your vehicle has a fan or Tstat issue you need to pay attention, I just don't own any here with those problems or even the potential for them...

I Totally agree, until recently all the Toyotas and Hondas in our family with more than 180,000 miles that were never serviced before had prestine looking coolant coming out when I serviced them...
The two celicas I rebuilt(oil burning issue), even the head gasket that was replaced "seemed" to be in good condition, I am no expert in the how the condition of the head gasket should look like, but at least that's what it seemed like to me.

People fret way to much over maintenance. Most cars that I've driven into the ground were shot because the bodies rusted. A couple of cars had 300,000 miles and ran fine. If I lived down south, I could have gone 500,000 with just basic maintenance, and repair.

It sounds like you've got it nailed.
Take care of the vehicle and be proactive about maintenance and it should last for a long time.
Having selected a vehicle known for general reliability and durability is also a factor, although even the most troublesome car can be run for a long time as long as the owner is willing and able to keep wrenching it.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Don't abuse it. Drive easy, especially when it is cold. Anticipate and time traffic lights so you avoid full stops. This most pertains to gas mileage, but if you car is operating efficiently, logic dictates that you are going easy on the machinery.

I am amused at people who race up to a red traffic light. Being an XOM shareholder, I am also pleased to see it. (emphasis mine) I figure they're helping with my quarterly dividends.

Ha, ha, ha (you stinker) ha, ha
grin.gif

You'd like my wife...

All good points for vehicle longevity.

It seems every vehicle I look at for a friend or acquaintance has an empty overflow tank and the level in the radiator is low.

On my Dad's Olds 88, I'm in the loop of using Stant thermostats and they usually start sticking open or hanging open after about 4 years and I replace them immediately so the engine gets to operating temp in cold weather. Maybe it's our climate that has temperature extremes from well below 0 to well above 100 that is so hard on cooling systems. maybe I'm just anal about it!

Nothing wrong with keeping a close eye on it. I am one of the very few who almost always raises the hood before I start it, checking levels and general eyeballing can show you something before it stops you.

Aftermarket Tstats are a huge [censored] shoot, I have had them last for many years and others fail the next day. I generally boil them FIRST and verify their operation, so we all have our little issues, eh?

Install a set of gauges which don't lie. My VW and Toyota do not like to indicate properly; I use a Scanguage to get real water temp. That will indicate better actual problems.

Otherwise, I avoid first year models, anything performance related, anything apt to be beat on. I usually buy new too.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I am amused at people who race up to a red traffic light. Being an XOM shareholder, I am also pleased to see it. I figure they're helping with my quarterly dividends.

+1 Although I don't own any XOM except in my mutual funds, I do have some COP. Also, keep the tires pumped up 2-4 lbs over "suggested". Check tire pressure and oil level monthly, more often if needed - eyeball tires at least a few times a week before driving. (best way to spot that slow leak)

Buy a vehicle that has been in production for several years.
Do some homework and determine the weakest links in the vehicle (all cars have them.)
Tailor your maintenance to compensate for these deficiencies.

Holy Cow! After reading this thread it appears you got the cooling system covered. I'll be abbreviated.
1) Many coolants have 5 year formulae. If it's clean, go for the 5. Old fashioned green "2 year coolant?" = 2 years (obviously).
2) I'd jump on replacing the damaged engine mounts you mentioned.
3) The shocks are merely maintenance items. Stiffening the suspension will smooth out rough roads but also invite speeding on them.
4) Seek out and replace all "4mm" vacuum hoses and inspect any wee rubber elbows of the same type.
4a) People in the US are mute regarding coolant hoses. You're pushing 10 years-change them. Buy quality hoses.
5) When doing battery service remember to remove trays etc. and wash with baking soda and water LIBERALLY to neutralize acid.
6) Use dielectric grease on any and all bulb contacts. Helps lower resistance and eliminated corrosion for PENNIES.
7) I gotta agree with the "out with the old" philosophy you're employing with your fluids. Dino is better/cheaper for frequent replacement.
7a) NOTE TO YOUR OFF-ROADING FRIENDS: Double check before blindly switching to synthetic gear lubes. Many applications call for dino.
8) If clean after maintenance, you may extend the 30,000 transmission fluid/filter regimen you mentioned.
9) Give the power steering and brake fluids a renew too!
10) Take the time to thoroughly clean and treat your weatherstrips. It's a very rewarding job. Lube hinges and locks while you're at it.
10a) The instant a window (driver's usually) runs funny, pop the door panels off and FIX, INSPECT AND LUBE ALL OF THEM.
Don't be a swine who drives about with a malfunctioning window.

Sign of my old age and your youth: "...good floggings and going well into 4WD territory" ARE NOT on the automotive longevity recipe.

Evidence of my boundless nastiness: The more you take this 4 door sedan into 4WD territory, the more kangaroo brained you are.

I love the job you did on your steelies. How many holes in that pattern? 19 or 21? Cheers, Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back