BBQ Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I got a pair of fundraiser bbq plates today.We were suppose to get 2 plates and an extra pound of BBQ.When we got there at the scheduled time we were told that the all of the extra BBQ was gone and they subbed 2 chicken quarters.OK.Not a fan and not equivalent to a pound of Boston Butt.But I still have some BBQ.

A few hours later I open my takeout tray.WTH?I have grilled chicken on my plate.1 Dry grilled chicken quarter.No sauce.No bbq in sight.

repeat this after me

"GRILLED CHICKEN IS NOT FRAGGIN BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN."

It was a fundraiser. If you wanted good quality food you should have went to a quality restaurant. You went to raise funds so that is what you did. I don't understand what it is you're ranting about.

Most Fundraisers I get in to I just pay up, Volunteer my time and expect nothing in return.

You can change your experience by cooking yourself for the next fundraiser.

Last edited:
The point is you go you pay you expect what's promised not a half [censored] version on a promise. I get it. Not a huge deal but stupidity is frustrating.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
The point is you go you pay you expect what's promised not a half [censored] version on a promise. I get it. Not a huge deal but stupidity is frustrating.

Next time, Volunteer and Fix it yourself.

man this is a tough crowd. If I paid for some BBQ then I would also be a bit mad if I got some yardbird. I get excited about my food, and if I knew I was about to eat something that I really liked and then found out it was something that was just ok, well then I would not be happy.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

No! He spent his money on a fundraiser. It wasn't about what you get in return.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
It was a fundraiser. If you wanted good quality food you should have went to a quality restaurant. You went to raise funds so that is what you did. I don't understand what it is you're ranting about.

It is not hard to understand.
I understand fundraiser food is usually not the best.So I expect mediocre food.But when I get a barbeque pork plate I expect barbeque pork.When I get a chicken plate I expect chicken.
Grilled chicken is not barbeque any more than cooking a hamburger or hot dog on a grill is barbeque... it is grilling.Not hard to understand,unless you are an Aussie who refers to a grill as a barbie.

So once again: "GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN IS NOT BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN"

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Originally Posted By: bvance554

It is not hard to understand.
I understand fundraiser food is usually not the best.So I expect mediocre food.But when I get a barbeque pork plate I expect barbeque pork.When I get a chicken plate I expect chicken.
Grilled chicken is not barbeque any more than cooking a hamburger or hot dog on a grill is barbeque... it is grilling.Not hard to understand,unless you are an Aussie who refers to a grill as a barbie.

So once again: "GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN IS NOT BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN"

Well maybe if you go over to the people that had the fundraiser that you were part of and explain it as : GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN IS NOT BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN They probably will understand and make a bigger effort to take care of you next time.

Why didn't you open the tray and look at what you are getting ???

When I pick up a pizza, I open the box to make sure I'm getting what I paid for and ordered.

If you want to help a cause just hand them some money. Then go to a restaurant to celebrate. I'm not a big fan of a ragtag group of amateurs in field condition without proper equipment preparing my food.

Originally Posted By: urrlord

repeat this after me

"GRILLED CHICKEN IS NOT FRAGGIN BARBEQUE.IT IS GRILLED FRAGGIN CHICKEN."

I agree, around here chicken in any form is not barbecue. Unless its a pork shoulder or a boston butt, its not barbecue. Here in the south , barbecue means pork shoulders or butts cooked. Not any other meat is "barbecue. You could call it barbecued chicken, but not barbecue.

Workmates went to a charity trivia night a few weeks ago, and one of the questions was what was the element symbolised by "K".

Everyone got it wrong, as the "correct" answer was "Krypton".

There was uproar, as the quizmaster was wrong...obviously.

So he invoked Rule 1...he was right.

More uproar

Rule 2 was that it was a trivia night for charity, and a donation in which you get something (food, raffle ticket, trivia night) wasn't even a tax deduction, so you are all a bunch of crybabies...the quizmaster was donating his time as well in generating the questions as well as conducting the night

Guess you could always sue them

Lots to say. Please refer to the specific number when you rail back at me.

1) It is too bad the hosts weren't brave enough to say "We're out of Bar-B-Que but we have chicken".

2) It is bewildering to see adults who host these events act so inept sometimes.
INCLUDED IRONY: They also will stand on their hind legs and tell you how smart they are-like so many other people.

3) The taxes argument mentioned above isn't applicable because NO FACTS were given.
I suppose it's good to hate taxes and government right out of the box.

4) I've seen high school car washes where the Mommies and kiddies laid the drying towels on the ground where they picked up stones and severely scratched the cars.
You gotta expect amateurism at these things. Protect yourself and act like the superior being your anger implies you are.
You're so smart, how could they sting you?

5) You are a superior, knowledgeable person, aren't you? You didn't go in with just bargain food on your mind, did you"

6) I walked into a Greek Orthodox church's (you know, the one on Saratoga Ave.) food fest and noticed that they offered only 3 things.
3 perfectly made, premium Greek dishes. I broke the bank taking some home.

As Julius Caesar said, "I saw, I sampled, I bought more" Kira

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why didn't you open the tray and look at what you are getting ???

When I pick up a pizza, I open the box to make sure I'm getting what I paid for and ordered.

The wife went into the place and picked up the trays.I did not.I expected a bbq plate to contain bbq so I did not look.The grilled chicken and sides were actually pretty good.But when you are set on bbq it is just not the same.Maybe part of it is cultural/regional .The fundraiser was at the local Mormon church,maybe bbq means something different to them than around these parts.Maybe it was marketing,around here you will sell more bbq plates than chicken plates as evidenced by the fact they sold out of the pork.

As for the folks who keep saying "you should have cooked/volunteered yourself".Well that has nothing to do with this subject.This subject is product A vs product B being subbed as product A.

To put it in BITOG terms:If you buy a box labelled motorcraft oil filter and open the box and find a fram oil filter....well that is not what you expected is it?Some people would be happy with that and some would not be.

It sounds like it was oversold or poorly organized. My church does a fundraiser BBQ and we contract with a BBQ company to supply the meat and potato. The church packages it and handles the people/money. The first year I helped I paid for my ticket but it was oversold and my $20 (two dinners) was a donation.

To me, BBQ = "cooked on a flame outside". I suppose others might have a tighter definition.

I went to a clam festival here and naturally bought a slice of pizza from a charity vendor. They had cheese for $2.50 and roni for $2.75. I was feeling hungry so sprung for the pepperoni. Sure enough there was one slice of pepperoni, front and center, the size of a half dollar.

We laughed it off.

And this, folks, is how I get 23k posts on BITOG.
wink.gif

OHHHH the humanity.....you went to a fundraiser and didn't get what you wanted. Sad when you feel the need to rant because you didn't get your precious BBQ that you had hoped to get going to a FUNDRAISER. And even if they had your precious boston but, or whatever you so desired....im sure you would be ranting on how not well prepared it was.

A lot of people in this world who would do some pretty nasty things to get that NOT BBQ CHICKEN, that was cooked on a bbq. Seriously, hope your rant made you feel so much better about not getting what you wanted at a fundraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back