Cadillac ATS Engine Air Filter Interval Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2013 Cadillac ATS has close to 17K miles on it. At the end of May, I'll have had it a year. The vehicle was manufactured in October 2012. The owner's manual calls for engine air filter replacement every 45K miles. Would you wait that long or do it once a year which is about half that interval? I haven't yet opened up the airbox to see how dirty the filter is.

I'd go 45k on it. Maybe I'd change it sooner if I went on an African safari and got stuck behind a dirt truck for a few hours.

The consensus on BITOG seems to be that manufacturers intervals are fine. Most of us probably change air filters too often. That said, consider your own operating conditions. Out here in the dry Texas desert, dust levels are chronic and extremely high. (Ever see a dark brown afternoon sky? The dust bowl still lives) I change every 20,000.

Wait until 45k miles if you have fairly normal operating conditions. If the 2.0T in there is like the 1.4T in my car, there's a giant air filter in there.

If your area is not too dusty then at the minimum 45k miles. Check the filter condition at 40k miles, if it isn't too clogged up then tap lightly on a firm surface and reinstall and use it for another 15-20k miles.

Remember that the filter is at the most efficient near the end of its life.

Annually is my routine, cheap insurance
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc
The owner's manual calls for engine air filter replacement every 45K miles.

Man there's no way in heck I'd wait that long to change the air filter. That's ridiculous.

Spend $50,000 for a car and never change the air filter.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc
My 2013 Cadillac ATS has close to 17K miles on it. At the end of May, I'll have had it a year. The vehicle was manufactured in October 2012. The owner's manual calls for engine air filter replacement every 45K miles. Would you wait that long or do it once a year which is about half that interval? I haven't yet opened up the airbox to see how dirty the filter is.

Just opening the sealed box is iffy for spreading the sand around. Definitely remove and inspect it at 1/2 the interval, just to get a feel for how dirty it is. Tap it or blow it off a bit. But changing it too often is a no no as we all know here.

My car in my sig is practically a road vac with a very low air inlet that gets more dirt than our fleet trucks which have the inlet way up high. Then you factor in the conditions you drive in...

It really depends on how the intake is set up, I don't know how GM runs it.

On the trucks even on dusty job sites you can pretty much go 100k on a filter because the intake is up high and in the fender.

On my Mercedes with ram air it shop vacs the road and is full of leaves after 20k.

I would say that 45k is probably more than fine.

Last edited:
The pollen around here starting this time of year is SOOOO thick and heavy that I would be fearful of going that long on a filter.
There are times when my glossy black car turns matte BRIGHT green in ONE DAY during the peak pollen season!!
eek.gif

Add to that the equally thick salt dust in the winter and one is taking chances, or at least I would be with my 'bottom breathing', cold air inducted, ride.
wink.gif

I would not go 45k miles either. I tend to go 2 years on my cars. One other reason to change the filter is that the gasket or other filter component could weaken from heat and debris, allowing a slight amount of dirt into the engine. Sure, probably a rare case, but I do always find the gaskets look somewhat worn/weakened compared to a new filter.

I agree that air filters can go a long time, and my two year interval is probably too often. Nevertheless, I think it is a decent balance. I don't go too many miles in the two years either, but I'd probably cap my miles at 25k on a filter.

I would love to test drive or rent an ATS. They seem like fantastic cars! Enjoy it.

Last edited:
I don't change any air filters until my restriction gauge tells me to. Sometimes it is 3,000 miles, sometimes 20,000. All depends on dust and smoke, roads driven, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back