Didnt pack bearings properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I recently did a brake job on a Chevy astro and replaced the wheel bearings while i was at it.

After the fact I found there is a 'proper' way to pack bearings, by sliding the bigger opening across your hand with a glob of grease in your palm.

I didn't use this technique.. I just spent a lot of time working grease into both sides of the bearing as well as down in the roller. I verified they were packed full because when I pushed more grease into either side.. it would puff out of the opposing side slightly..

Do I have anything to worry about since I didn't follow the 'proper' procedure? I could understand doing it if the bearings had old grease in them to force it out, but since these were new, old grease was not an issue.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

You're fine. The whole point of what you're calling the 'proper' way is that it gets the grease in there and is a lot faster than what you did. So long as you got it filled up the end result is the same.

Reading this, I chuckle with an old memory of going to the corner gas station with my dad to get an oil change/filter and fairly often watching the guys doing the hand repack technique of the front wheel bearings. I now have some of the same type/vintage cars 50 years later. I do fairly frequent oil changes, but very rarely repack wheel bearings anymore-and can't remember a bearing failure. Dan Mpls. Mn.

The easiest way is with the Lisle 65250. You just sandwich the bearing between those two cones and hook your grease gun up to the zirk fitting on top. Pump it full of grease. It works VERY well.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=383&division=1&category=7

65250c_21F20A28ACE9C.jpg

We packed bearings on F4J fighters the same way, go figure,,well that was 1967. U know , the dark ages to many in here. Now where is that 1966 GTO I never got?

I still pack wheel bearings by hand. My father taught me how to do it.

He also told me NOT to spin them with the compressed air after cleaning them in the solvent tank.

Had to do it at least once.
whistle.gif

OP, did you remove the old grease in the hub and replace it with new?

My opinion is that if you have a shop and/or do this job a lot, get a bearing packer tool. Personally, it doesn't bother me to have a palm full of grease every now and then. FWIW I like the new typr of bearings that you don't have to mess with.

The sealed hubs are fine until they need to be replaced. New hubs are 'spensive. I re-pack bearings by hand. I don't do it often enough to justify another wall hanger. I have a grease needle I use one sealed

The palm slapping method was taught to me by my BIL and best friend, Rick. He learned it from his dad.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The sealed hubs are fine until they need to be replaced. New hubs are 'spensive. I re-pack bearings by hand. I don't do it often enough to justify another wall hanger. I have a grease needle I use one sealed

The palm slapping method was taught to me by my BIL and best friend, Rick. He learned it from his dad.

I learned the palm slapping method in HS Auto Shop in the mid 70's. Honestly for me the wall hanger is worth it for the once every three years or so that I use it. It saves time, grease, and does a great job in short order.

Palm Slapper here. Don't do it enough to warrant the tool and hassle with cleaning it up. I don't waste much grease either.

Did you replace the outer races, or re-use the old ones?

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Palm Slapper here. Don't do it enough to warrant the tool and hassle with cleaning it up. I don't waste much grease either.

Did you replace the outer races, or re-use the old ones?

Everything new, New races already in the new disk brake, New seals and washers too.

I've always done them by hand. Takes a couple minutes and lets me know if I still have a good one.

Many years ago, a real old timer (certainly long dead now) shared one helpful tip: don't over pack them. All you need is a decent film on the races. I've seen entire hubs packed to overflowing with grease, most of which just makes a big mess for the next job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back