GM Dexos 0W-20 6,219 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA for my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with the new 5.3 Ecotec3 V8. OLM was at 19% and in service from January 2014 to April 2014. Mostly highway driven (around 85%). Engine is on its 2nd OCI when this sample was taken (first change at 6,900 miles and 9% OLM). I get complementary oil changes from the dealer for 2 years/24,000 miles. Oil used is GM #19259487 (Dexos 0w20) which should be the same as ACDelco 10-9116. Filter was ACDelco PF63.

Main reason I wanted to run a UOA was to check for fuel dilution. This is a DI engine with AFM. I haven't been able to find any UOA's for this new engine. Glad to see there was no fuel and flash point is still high. I would suspect wear metals will trend downwards as engine breaks in.

14_SIERRA_SAMPLE_1.jpg

My dealer uses the AC Delco semi syn 0w20 dexos on the freebie oil changes...is that the same oil you were referring to?

I just had my first change...i'll post up the UOA when it comes in on it to see how the wear metals compare.

Do these engines throw copper (at least the older variants of the 5.3)?

You may see high Cu as a matter of course.

Originally Posted By: Jocephus
My dealer uses the AC Delco semi syn 0w20 dexos on the freebie oil changes...is that the same oil you were referring to?

I just had my first change...i'll post up the UOA when it comes in on it to see how the wear metals compare.

The 0W-20 oil (GM #19259487) is available from GM parts distributors for $4.21 so I would assume that it is a blend and not full synthetic. Regardless, nice solid UOA.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Does the 5.3 now use 0w20?

Yes...a dexos 0w20 at that in the new 2014's

My dealer doesn't even stock it (small town dealer that doesn't have the sales volume yet) He only orders it when you set up your appointment.

Last edited:
So what kind of mileage are you getting.
We are looking at these 2014s right now for company trucks and mileage is my primary concern,well power first because we pull various trailers and I've been known to pull my forklift out of the mud with em too.
How's your overall experience with the truck.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
We are looking at these 2014s right now for company trucks and mileage is my primary concern,well power first because we pull various trailers and I've been known to pull my forklift out of the mud with em too.

Thanks.

Truck has been good overall. Rides nice and gets better MPG's compared to 2010 Tundra that I traded. Tank mileage was averaging 16 over the winter but has been picking up to 18-20 now that we are finally warming up. 22 MPG is achievable on flat roads at 65-70MPH and no wind. Power is good and plenty to pull my 19ft aluminum fishing boat.

Originally Posted By: Jocephus

Yes...a dexos 0w20 at that in the new 2014's

My dealer doesn't even stock it (small town dealer that doesn't have the sales volume yet) He only orders it when you set up your appointment.

Yea and up from 6qts to 8.5qts now.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Thanks.

I'm getting 22-23 on the highway in mine but I run only 100% gas...no ethanol. I've been happy so far. I've had a couple issues on the build quality (had an air leak which caused a whistle on the passenger side weather stripping in the door and the dash had a rattle...both fixed under warranty no problems.

As far as towing...I tow a bunch. I have a ranger z520 boat, a 2 axel dump trailer and a flatbed I pull my tractor on (a Montana 40hp 4wd). I'm really happy with the hill start assist and the engine braking and power hasn't been an issue whatsoever.

I'd buy it again if I had to do all over...then again, there's really no going wrong with any of the new trucks out there today.

The 14+ 5.3 and 6.2 use 0w20. It is now also approved to be used in anything previously calling for Dexos 5w20 (Impala/malibu/ATS 2.5, and Spark I4). The 4.3 and 6.0 still use dexos 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back