is it me or does Liqui Moly have too many options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at LL04 oils and I can hardly make out differences between oils of same weight.

They have four 5w30's to choose from.

I agree that their motor oil lineup is odd and confusing. They also have some oils that meet only outdated specifications.

I looked at their website, and what I found was that the 4 engine oils that met BMW LL04 5w30 met different specs from other auto manufacturers.
For example, some would meet VW 502, 505, and 505.1, some would meet VW 504 and 507. Another one met VW 503 and 506.

I guess the #1 focus was on VW engines, and any VW approved oil that was close to BMW LL04 would get a BMW certification.

It is my understanding that VW is the most common manufacturer in Europe, and because of that, it would be important for an oil manufacturer to have everything for every VW.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I'm looking at LL04 oils and I can hardly make out differences between oils of same weight.

IF you think they are bad (as far as TOO MANY choices within one viscosity range), take a look at either Motul, or Elf!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

IF you think they are bad (as far as TOO MANY choices within one viscosity range), take a look at either Motul, or Elf!!!
crazy2.gif

Ha!. For Motul I see three 5w30's and two 5w40 under LL04. LOL

Last edited:

I agree. Their lineup is very unappealing and a lot of the oils are using old formulations.

The only thing that's even remotely appealing is the Synthoil Energy 0w40. Their gear lubes are pretty good, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I agree. Their lineup is very unappealing and a lot of the oils are using old formulations.

The only thing that's even remotely appealing is the Synthoil Energy 0w40. Their gear lubes are pretty good, in my opinion.

The 0w-40 meets the Porsche spec and is equal to m1 0w-40 as far as the specs it meets.
I used it I'm my charger and thus far has been my favorite.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dparm

The 0w-40 meets the Porsche spec and is equal to m1 0w-40 as far as the specs it meets.
I used it I'm my charger and thus far has been my favorite.

It meets older MB and BMW specifications than M1 0W-40. See here: http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/1360%20synthoil%20energy%20SAE%200w-40_EN.pdf/$file/1360%20synthoil%20energy%20SAE%200w-40_EN.pdf
MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01 are the newer specs.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

crazy2.gif

Ha!. For Motul I see three 5w30's and two 5w40 under LL04. LOL

Yes, you are correct (for the LL04 spec oils).

I was considering how many different oils they have in each and every viscosity range (including their 300V line), regardless of Euro spec.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back