2007 Focus air filter Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the pics of the lifetime air filter from the Focus. I replaced this one with a Dorman air box that has a replaceable standard air filter. As you can see it has a series of foam rubber pads. Glad I changed it out as the box had a lot of dirt and some leaves in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
How was the restriction gauge at when it was changed?

Fine.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's the $400 PZEV filter?

I have justa air box on mine. Filters are still pretty expensive.

I think the 2007 was the last year for this type of filter. After that Ford went back to a standard type replaceable filter.

Thats really interesting. I wonder why Ford only used this setup in this particular application. This engine is in countless other cars and they all have normal air filters.

Those crazy engineers...

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Thats really interesting. I wonder why Ford only used this setup in this particular application. This engine is in countless other cars and they all have normal air filters.

Those crazy engineers...

I agree. Often engineers out tech themselves. Probably younger guys without much experience and never gave much thought to what happens when this type of filter has to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I wonder why filters for mine are $50. I really should replace the regular filter in my Focus.

Have you checked for after market filters?

It was in the Fusion for a while too. According to visteon, one advantage is that the automaker can put the filter box in an unaccessible area if they want too for packaging reasons...
Considering I've maybe spent $40 in filters for the Tracker, lifetime, I would rather see a smaller paper filter that needs replacing more often.

I've only got 50k miles on the Focus so I'm worrying about it yet, maybe in a few years I should start looking at the wreckers for a dorman setup.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
It was in the Fusion for a while too. According to visteon, one advantage is that the automaker can put the filter box in an unaccessible area if they want too for packaging reasons...
Considering I've maybe spent $40 in filters for the Tracker, lifetime, I would rather see a smaller paper filter that needs replacing more often.

I've only got 50k miles on the Focus so I'm worrying about it yet, maybe in a few years I should start looking at the wreckers for a dorman setup.

I'm not an ASE mechanic, but I do have mechanical skills. With that said, changing to the Dorman air box is not for the novice. The inner plastic finder well had to come out along with other stuff that was in the way.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: stranger706

Those crazy engineers...

I agree. Often engineers out tech themselves. Probably younger guys without much experience and never gave much thought to what happens when this type of filter has to be replaced.

Your filter didn't need to be replaced? You replaced it because you wanted to replace it not because it needed it. It's cool that you did that--your choice. But it's exceedingly rare that these filters *need* replacement.

The system offers better filtration and is essentially maintenance-free. The only downsides are the initial cost (which was quite high compared to a standard air box) and the lost feeling some get from "maintaining" their car.

I think the engineers in question gave plenty of thought to the system. Some owners have given it a little less thought!

JOD,
As I already mentioned, there was a handfull of dirt that came out of the old box. If I had known that was there I would have changed it out long ago. Just the thought of all that stuff in the air intake box makes my Auto Maintenance OCD click in.

Your filter didn't need to be replaced? You replaced it because you wanted to replace it not because it needed it. It's cool that you did that--your choice. But it's exceedingly rare that these filters *need* replacement.

The system offers better filtration and is essentially maintenance-free. The only downsides are the initial cost (which was quite high compared to a standard air box) and the lost feeling some get from "maintaining" their car.

I think the engineers in question gave plenty of thought to the system. Some owners have given it a little less thought! [/quote]
Agreed, that filtration system is a good set up. Not very popular with the DIY crowd though. It's just as hard for some people to leave an air filter in until the restriction gauge reading changes as it is for others to leave oil in for over 3k miles. Of course those are usually the same people I would want to buy a preowned car off of!

Changing an air filter according to the restriction gauge is sort of like adding oil to your engine when the OP gauge begines to show a drop in pressure.
31.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: tig1
Changing an air filter according to the restriction gauge is sort of like adding oil to your engine when the OP gauge begines to show a drop in pressure.
31.gif

You're very wrong on that one...

Well, I realize that there's no air filter in the sump.

09.gif

Last edited:
Its more like using UOA to extend your OCI. Except it was built into your car for free.

Sorry, BITOG isn't on your change early side on this one!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Its more like using UOA to extend your OCI. Except it was built into your car for free.

Sorry, BITOG isn't on your change early side on this one!

If you would have seen the handful of dirt and leaves that came from the old air box you might have a differant opinion. That's the problem and engineer flaw with sealing up an air box. You can't inspect the darn thing. I guess that's just one reason Ford droped this idea and went back to a conviential air filter. Also 7 years and 123K on one air filter out performs most everyone else here at BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back