Bugatti required oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case you ever wondered about the "required" oil for $1.5 to $3.0 million Bugatti.

Bug_oil.jpg

A band aid for engine design problems?
That's why BMW recommended this oil for some M5s.
I wonder how it would do on a 0W-20 in the hands of a Florida plastic surgeon we don't hear much from anymore?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Highly unlikely. This engine produces so much heat that the first time they ran the prototype on the test stand at full power (1001 HP) it nearly burned the building down. The building's ventilation and exhaust system could not handle the heat and the ductwork started melting. VW probably spec'd this oil as an extra measure of protection.

I wonder how it would do on a 0W-20 in the hands of a Florida plastic surgeon we don't hear much from anymore?

Erm.

You do realise this is one of the most advanced cars ever produced.

And if a car with 1000 bhp has design problems do you really think a thicker oil will fix it?

Simply put.

It is a highly tuned quad turbo engine.

Why would they spec anything but the best oil which will give the best protection.

oh come on guys,,, it's purely marketing. With so many Veyron oil changes taking place around the globe, Castrol is making a killing from the sale of this liquid band-aid. We all know that Castrol isn't even a oil company but just a 'blender' who mixes together stuff that they buy from other companies.

Heck, I bet Castrol pays Bugatti to put that sticker on there and gives the factory free product. And if any modern designer doesn't use 0W-20 then they're just not building a good engine. Heck, my Honda Civic thrives on 0W-20... if my Bugatti Veyron can't do the same then it shows that Honda is just a superior engine builder.

Yeah,, liquid band-aid.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
oh come on guys,,, it's purely marketing. With so many Veyron oil changes taking place around the globe, Castrol is making a killing from the sale of this liquid band-aid. We all know that Castrol isn't even a oil company but just a 'blender' who mixes together stuff that they buy from other companies.

Heck, I bet Castrol pays Bugatti to put that sticker on there and gives the factory free product. And if any modern designer doesn't use 0W-20 then they're just not building a good engine. Heck, my Honda Civic thrives on 0W-20... if my Bugatti Veyron can't do the same then it shows that Honda is just a superior engine builder.

Yeah,, liquid band-aid.

Wow. Just...wow.

That's to funny, I'm glad someone on here has a sense of humor.

Like everything for that car I'd figure it's a custom blend, with a price to match!

I'm still more of a Pagani fan though.

Last edited:

They do run hot with all those turbos and there's a lot of torque going through those bearings, I wouldn't want to run a 0w20 that's for sure!

They recommend Castrol because VW own Bugatti, it's a VW engine and Castrol are the oil supplier to VAG.

Heck, my Honda Civic thrives on 0W-20... if my Bugatti Veyron can't do the same then it shows that Honda is just a superior engine builder.

A Honda Civic is a lightly loaded granny wagon producing about 100hp

A Bugatti Veyron is a highly stressed, quad turbo W16 producing 1000hp

Notice the extra zero.

Yeah like number of horses you have under the hood has something to do with the viscosity of the oil.

Each engine of Boeing 777 has 110 000 hp and it's using oil that is 5 cSt at 100c as per D50TF1, class B.

buahhahhaha,, A GE90/100 or RR Trent 1000 does NOT produce 110,000 hp.. they produce a range of thrust between 90,000 - 110,000 lbs. This is NOT horsepower.

Jet turbine oil need not apply for a job in the Bugatti. haha...

I read somewhere that this car needs to have it's oil changed at the factory - in France. Yes, you do not change oil at the dealer or at the mansion. You crate it to France and they change the oil for you among other things. Correct me if I'm wrong to any Veyron owners out there.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I read somewhere that this car needs to have it's oil changed at the factory - in France. Yes, you do not change oil at the dealer or at the mansion. You crate it to France and they change the oil for you among other things. Correct me if I'm wrong to any Veyron owners out there.

I thought they flew a technician out from France.

Bugatti of North America has several dealerships in the U.S. and routine maintenance can be done at any of the service centers.

Originally Posted By: Mathson
Yeah like number of horses you have under the hood has something to do with the viscosity of the oil.

Each engine of Boeing 777 has 110 000 hp and it's using oil that is 5 cSt at 100c as per D50TF1, class B.

There is a rather massive difference in terms of architecture between a turbine, which has no parts going up and down as the shaft goes 'roundy-round, and a piston engine, which has many parts doing the hokey-pokey as it spins the crank about.

I still belive it would run nicely on rotella...
but if going by factory oci it would mean that you would dump
perfectly fine oil at the changes.

The Veyron uses special Michelin PAX tires found on no other car. They were designed specifically for the Bugatti's capabilities and can only be removed from the wheels in France, a process that costs $70,000. The tires themselves cost $17,000 per set.

Quoted from Jalopnik.

This was also quoted back in 2010. I am sure bugatti North America does theioil changes. Maybe the tires too by now who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back