Idemitsu 0W-20, 2138 miles, 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil used was four quarts (1 gallon) of generic Idemitsu 0W-20. The oil was is use for approximately four months, as per the severe maintenance schedule, during which time it accumulated 2,138 miles. Driving consisted mostly of trips ranging between 5 - 20 miles; 50/25/25 city/highway/mountain. Ambient temperatures observed during this time period were between 25 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit. No make-up oil added.

The car is currently on my last jug of Idemtisu plus one quart of M1 (slight overfill). I will run out the OCI to six months this time.

Idemitsu 0W-20 specification sheet: http://www.ilacorp.biz/spec-sheets/idemitsu_ 0w-20_specs.pdf
Idemitsu 0W-20 VOA: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2921163/Idemitsu_0w-20

s0zkg9.png

Code:

OIL Idemitsu 0w20

MILES IN USE 2138

MILES 6652

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/7/14

METALS:

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM
COPPER 4

IRON 5

LEAD
NICKEL
SILVER
TIN 1

TITANIUM
VANADIUM

CONTAMINANTS:

POTASSIUM
SILICON 15

SODIUM

ADDITIVES:

BARIUM
BORON 191

CALCIUM 1860

MAGNESIUM 10

MOLYBDENUM 106

PHOSPHORUS 652

ZINC 728

COOLANT NO

WATER
VISCOSITY 6.6 cSt @ 100ºC

TBN 5.1

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Looks like you dumped it to early. Warranty limit?

You are correct about the warranty. I decided to use the severe service schedule, 4 months/5,000 miles, for the first two changes to flush out break-in metals and also to align this car's OCI with my other vehicles (spring/fall oil changes). The normal maintenance schedule allows for intervals of 6 months/7,500 miles which I will be doing from this point forward unless future analysis indicates otherwise.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Vis of 6.6cst after only 2k?? Looks like there is A LOT of fuel dilution.

I agree. Cool weather, direct injection, and short trips will definitely cause fuel to accumulate in the oil. Unfortunately this analysis kit does not include fuel dilution, nor flashpoint as part of their tests, so there is no way to tell how bad it was.

Based on the viscosity alone, the oil was at the end of its serviceable life, so I'm glad I dumped it when I did. Technically, it no longer met the minimum viscosity requirements for the SAE 0W-20 grade, according to the SAE J300 Viscosity Classification.

I should mention that oil sump wasn't completely full during this interval. Only filled to four quarts of its 4.4 qt capacity. The oil level was right in the middle of the Add and Full marks for the entire run, it never moved. I wonder how much of a difference half a quart would have made?

Viscosity doesn't seem to matter here, you have an engine that is still breaking in and showing better wear numbers than most engines at the middle of their life.

I think this engine likes the lower viscosity and the oil is still serviceable based on wear and TBN. Hopefully you will see good wear on 6 months intervals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back