Mobil 1 5W/20 EP, 9980 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Please try to stay on topic, the topic is THIS oil. The topic is NOT waste, ROI, any other oil, opinions about maintenance plans or anything other than this oil in this report.***

05_CIVIC_VP_119572.jpg

Usage essentially unchanged, little more of it but the same mix (very little highway, predominately around town use). It was as low as 1 degree and as hot as 95-100 during this OCI.

Filter was A01

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Kinda high acids. Any unusual driving?

city driving in the winter?

That seems like a lot of wear metals for a Honda engine. What oils have you been using since ownership? I`d try a run of PYB 10W30 to see what the uoa would look like.

I agree, this seems like the wear is a little higher than normal for a Honda engine. And those acids are up there. If you are going to use THIS oil, I would recommend toning the OCI down a little bit, as THIS oil over the course of this OCI didnt seem to do the best job, adequate though. Maybe try something different next time.

Once again, topic is not any other oil. There will not be any change of brand or viscosity.

All other runs were the same oil although one or two early on might not have been EP. Save for a few oil changes in the first 30-40000 miles it has always been M1. All of the other UOA's are here.

When I say around town, I mean suburban town, it is 8-10 miles to town from the house on a state highway. This car almost never just gets on the interstate and goes.

I find it somewhat interesting that the TBN was so much higher than the last run, when I would have guessed that the weather would have made this a "harder" run.

Considering the length of time this oil was in short trip service, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about at all. I think I'm probably going to end up doing once a year Mobil 1 changes in the Firebird as well. Granted, it won't be driven nearly as much.

You mention not wanting to try any other oil,BUT,something is causing too much wear in your Honda,which usually show no wear metals at all. If you`re wanting to stay loyal to the M1 brand,try their 10w30 (regular,not the EP version). But if it were my car,I`d go with PYB 10w30,do a uoa,and compare results.

Nice report. No shearing, metals all show WAYYY below the acceptable limits for each. Overall, metals have stayed constant, but the silicon is up slightly(if you can trust the report). Of course a longer run would be easy on the engine even though most of the miles are local, but I am a 10K OCI guy myself so I get it. Also very impressed with the FF of 420 which shows no real fuel .

Last edited:
Since iron typically tracks with usage, I think there's zero concern here. For all the naysayers, this oil is doing solid. Look at the first UOA on the sheet; since then, the oil has been run longer and yet all wear metals are lower on a per mile basis. I'm surprised Blackstone even called it out; they usually say what I just said (for iron anyway).

I'd personally run it out even more, maybe to 12,500 since the oil itself is doing great.

I'm totally not concerned about it, on the first run of ~7400 miles Blackstone had this to say:

Quote:
Comments from Blackstone:

Our universal averages show what typical wear from this engine type looks like after a normal oil run of about 5,300 miles. You ran your oil a little longer, so it wouldn't be unusual to see wear a little higher than average. To be specific, iron should have read about 10-15 ppm.

With the universal average being 9ppm @ ~ 5300 I don't see the issue with 18 @ ~10,000 (close to double miles for double iron)

We seem to have a difference of opinion about TAN, blackstone says it seems "pretty normal for motor oil" but it was said in this thread to be "kinda high acids".

If that were my car I would try something different for comparison. I'm not on here that often, isn't it common to not see impressive results with Mobil products in Honda's?

Originally Posted By: Shark
I'm not on here that often, isn't it common to not see impressive results with Mobil products in Honda's?

Is this not the tail wagging the dog? You don't choose lubricants to get a certain UOA result or to compare lubricants (aside, perhaps, from OCI length and staying in grade). This is another UOA with absolutely nothing wrong with the metals.

Great UOA IMO. With TBN at 2.6 you could easily go longer. Probably should just change it once a year and don't even worry about the miles, just keep it topped off. M1 EP is good stuff.

The BITOGer in my says "whoa! High Iron!"
The realist in me says, great engine, you'll never experience an oil-related failure and the engine will outlast the rest of the car. Good luck

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d try a run of PYB 10W30 to see what the uoa would look like.

The wear numbers would be WAY LOWER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back