2007 Focus air filter replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today was the day. After seven years I finally replaced the so-called life time air filter on the Focus. I purchased the Dorman after market filter box. Cost $200, but that's half the cost of a Ford replacement. Also the Dorman has a replaceable slide in normal filter. Bad news it's kind of hard to get to for the replacement. Altogether this was a rather hard job as the drivers side inner finder well had to be pulled along with other stuff that was in the way. Took me three hours to complete. Here is a pic of the new filter box.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...1&ppt=C0023

Last edited:
Wow, never heard of a "lifetime air filter".. I think this "lifetime" stuff which is meant to lower the cost ownership.. is eventually going to cost even more to owners who like to keep their cars, vs cars where these types of things are easily and regularly serviced.. My forte has 'lifetime' transmission fluid, but IDK if i buy that..

How much difference did the new air filter make, if any, to the performance of the vehicle?

My Focus states that the filter should be changed out at about 150K. Any reason you changed it out earlier?

Gasoline engines do not suffer performance or fuel mileage hits from restrictive air filters but they do benefit from the higher efficiency a filter produces as it ages. I can see how a lifetime filter is desirable for those in optimal conditions but eventually it would produce too much restriction.

I can also understand how a BITOGer would want a fresh filter at some point.

The lifetime filter had something to do with the PZEV requirements that some of the Foci had.

In my 7 years of doing parts at Ford, I have only ever sold them to body shops to replace ones that were damaged in accidents.

You could get the exact same filter, Dorman part# 258-519, at Amazon.com for $120 new or $95 used(repackage) from Amazon Warehouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-258-519-Air...eywords=258-519

Some parts like air filter, oil filter, spark plug ... you don't have to have it today or tomorrow, you should plan a head bya week or a month, buying online usually at a much lower price than local store.

PS Can you buy it from Amazon and return it to O'Reilly ? If you still have the box that the filter came with you may like to buy the used one for $95.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
How much difference did the new air filter make, if any, to the performance of the vehicle?

My Focus states that the filter should be changed out at about 150K. Any reason you changed it out earlier?

I just put it in today so I can't tell about performance yet. As for changing it out before 150K. Sometimes I think I am too fussy about my cars. Couldn't stand it any longer. Just had to do it.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So how was the original filter?

I haven't cut it apart yet. I might post some pics when I do.

those had an air restriction gauge built in that worked well.

Unless you live on dirt roads I doubt it would have needed changed before 300000 miles.

Last edited:
My guess is that the only effect will be more dirt in your engine. The original system was the best design on the market in terms of filtration quality, and I don't see the conventional filter in the Dormam coming close. Not saying you're car's going to blow up or anything, but I don't see how you did yourself any favors.

The whitepaper detailing the Visteon system was impressive, and so are the silicone levels on UOA's for cars that use that filter. The only downside is cost, and the fact that it works better than it needed to work for the life cycle of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: JOD
My guess is that the only effect will be more dirt in your engine. The original system was the best design on the market in terms of filtration quality, and I don't see the conventional filter in the Dormam coming close. Not saying you're car's going to blow up or anything, but I don't see how you did yourself any favors.

The whitepaper detailing the Visteon system was impressive, and so are the silicone levels on UOA's for cars that use that filter. The only downside is cost, and the fact that it works better than it needed to work for the life cycle of the vehicle.

Ya'll, I hope my engine doesn't blow up because I changed the air filter.
39.gif

Last edited:
My fusion has a lifetime filter. Still gets same performance and response and still gets high 40's low 50's on the mpg in summer, low 40's in winter. Living in Memphis, just have pollen and stuff to deal with. It will prob never need replacement while I own it.

My parents just got a 2005 Focus with the 2.0 and I was wondering about the lifetime air filter...thanks for the post and info on replacing it. Would love to see the pics of it cut open.

If there's an air filter restriction gauge, there's no need to change until it's exceeded the manufacturers threshold.

Tig, did your application have the gauge? Just curious if it did was it showing anything at all?

Originally Posted By: tig1

PLEASE, Please.....cut it apart and post the pictures as ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: tig1

PLEASE, Please.....cut it apart and post the pictures as ASAP.

I did. It's in the Photo section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back