New Mazda-Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found a sweet 2001 B2300 Mazda with a 5 speed and only 81k original miles! Cold AC and in pretty decent shape. Truly excellent deal, very pleased with the little trucklet.

Now I need the Ford Ranger club to give me their input. What should I do after the inevitable [censored] of fluid changing? Any specific fluids recommended from Ranger owners?

This truck also looks like it would really benefit from some thoughtful mods as well, maybe an intake?

My middle daughter needed a car and this popped up. Timing is everything...

Let's see some pictures.
smile.gif

The Duratec is great engine. You can get high 20s-low 30s highway MPG. It has a timing chain, so no belt to worry about changing. the manual trans uses Mercon ATF. I don't really have any specific recommendations. I use whatever oil is on sale.

Intakes don't do anything for these trucks, don't waste your money.

That model doesn't come with an intake!? You should let Mazda know about this, post haste!

In all seriousness, I'd leave it as-is, though you could probably take the intake off and have it still last forever. IMO, there are no thoughtful intakes that aren't tuned for or fix a badly designed, restrictive unit.

Last edited:
Sounds like you found a nice bargain, congrats. If it was me, I'd skip any mods. Change out the fluids, give it a good wash & wax, & let your daughter know that ol' Dad's keepin' an eye on this one!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The Duratec is great engine. You can get high 20s-low 30s highway MPG. It has a timing chain, so no belt to worry about changing. the manual trans uses Mercon ATF. I don't really have any specific recommendations. I use whatever oil is on sale.

The 3.0 in the ranger/b series was the Vulcan, not the duratec.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

right but he got the b2300 which has the 2.3L duratec

Originally Posted By: ranger wiki

The 23NS is built in Dearborn, Michigan for the Ford Ranger and North American market Mazda B-Series. These engines are tuned for torque-bias making them suitable for light-truck use and are not equipped with iVCT or VICS. Output is 143 hp (107 kW) at 5250 rpm with 154 lb·ft (209 N·m) of torque at 3750 rpm.

Last edited:
Hopefully they fixed the rubber plug/seal issue on the 5spd. There are plugs or some sort of rubber fitting on the top of the transmissions that dry out/shrink/crack or fail over time. I cooked a transmission in my mid 90's Ranger due to failed rubber bit letting fluid escape. I dont think this was uncommon. Other than that it was a good truck. I had the 3.0.

You probably need shocks. Every older ranger I've driven or rode in did. They are cheap.

Fuzzy Dice. You need to install Fuzzy Dice.

My signature vehicle (03' Focus) has the Duratec 2.3 in it. Its been a great engine for me over the last 7 years, and is easy on oil.

As you can see, I'm using M-1 0w20 AFE and a Fram ULTRA filter for 8k to 10k OCI's. The engine seems to thrive on the M-1 and filter combination. My last OCI was 13 months at 9,200.

Now that M-1 has the 0w20 in EP, I'm seriously thinking of switching and doing 13k to 14k OCI's. That would get full use of the Fram ULTRA which is guaranteed uo to 15K.

it looks like a great buy for your daughter. Hope it works out.

Where did the OP say anything about a 3.0? He said he has a B2300, which has the 2.3 Duratec.

And I already knew the 3.0 is the Vulcan.

Where did the OP say anything about a 3.0? He said he has a B2300, which has the 2.3 Duratec.

And I already knew the 3.0 is the Vulcan.

sorry, my bad, fully forgot there were Duratecs other than the 3.0& 3.5..

All an intake system allows is to sound louder and allow more dirt into your engine. The stock air box allows more air in than your engine could never consume.
I would recommend putting money toward all the fluids and maintenance. These are great trucks my friends has over 280,000looks and runs still close to new condition. Needed a clutch at 240,000 that's all its ever needed.

Thanks for your input fellas. I'll get some pics up soon.

Heading out to buy the vital juices today, still can't believe how tight and smooth this little thing is.

Thanks for the tip about the rubber plugs and this thing DEFINITELY needs shocks. But other than that she is one sweet little truck...

Keep an eye on the lower ball joint boots, and sway bar end links too. Once the boots tear, start thinking about replacement. The OEM sway bar end links are plastic, so they will fail with little to no warning. Not that big a deal, but it will have a little more body roll when cornering. They are easy to replace.

Nice find! They are great little trucks. My buddy had a 2001 Ranger and he sold it with 200k miles on it still running great. They are easy to work on and parts are easy to find.

As far as oil, we ran 5w30 in it, but he also had the 4.0 SOHC V6. If yours is the 2.3 it probably recommends a 5w20.

Nice find. Aside from '93-'94, '01-'03s are my favorites.

Engine...any 5W20 is fine in the Duratec 2.3. Not a picky engine.

Trans...stick to ATF, or manual trans fluids intended to replace ATF. Not a super picky trans, but gear oil is a no-no. I just used plain Pennzoil Dex/Merc in mine.

Diff...not picky. I have run 80W90, 75W90, 75W140 and could never tell a difference. I have always sealed these with RTV Ultra Black and never had a leak. It has the old Ford 7.5. I have never had to do anything to a Ford 7.5, even the fluid changes were probably unnecessary.

Coolant...G-05, John Deere CoolgardII are preferable, but again, it's not picky. An '01 may have come with green, but I doubt it on the 2.3L, it was probably G-05. My '01 2.5 Lima came with green.

Plugs...NGK or Denso should work great in that engine. Again though, not picky trucks. It's due for a tuneup in the next 20K miles.

The shift rail plugs are an easy fix. There are three of them at the top of the trans. You can get them from the dealer for a few bucks. If replacing with original rubber plugs, all you need is a screwdriver. Just pop the old ones out and push the new ones in with a little ATF on them to make pushing them in easier. Some people opt to replace them with metal freeze plugs for a permanent fix if they have the trans dropped for a clutch/slave cylinder. There is no way to get metal freeze plugs in without dropping the trans.

Some people remove the factory resonator box thing on the air intake pipe on 2.3s. IIRC, Tallpaul on this board did it with one of those Dorman rubber freeze plugs. Ford eliminated the resonator box sometime later on, so you could just get a later air intake pipe if you can find one. Probably won't see significant gains doing that though. The A/F is the same one used on the V6s, so it flows plenty of air, but there is no shortage of aftermarket intakes for Duratec 2.3s. Name a company and they have one.

If you want to upgrade the exhaust, Dynomax is the way to go. Walker/Dynomax direct fit stuff is really direct fit on Rangers. Other companies make exhaust kits for these trucks, but you really can't go wrong with Dynomax/Walker, especially in FL where it won't rust out. I had a bad experience with a Magnaflow y-pipe on my truck (simply would not fit an automatic trans truck, no way, no how). Dynomax/Walker stuff always seems to fit like a glove on these trucks. Had a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back kit on my old 2.5L Ranger, and a Walker y-pipe on my current one. Totally hassle free installs with perfect fit in both cases.

With shocks, just don't get cheap Monroes. They were leaking oil on my truck in a matter of days. Anything else is fine, including better Monroes (Sensa-Trac on up). I am running Motorcrafts in the front and KYB Excel-Gs in the rear on mine currently and have no complaints.

You really shouldn't encounter many problems at all on a low mileage 2.3L manual trans Southern truck. The only one that comes to mind would be the clutch slave cylinder. It is a pain to replace because you have to drop the trans, but it doesn't always go out. On some trucks the slave cyl goes at 40K miles, on others never. It never had an issue on my '01. Regardless, whenever the clutch is done, the slave cylinder should be replaced as insurance while the trans is out. Other than that, I wouldn't expect much at those miles. 80K is nothing on one of these. They don't have many age related issues...aside from the shift rail plugs, the rubber parts are really durable, and even those are not all that common of a failure. Electrical issues tend to be very minor...switches sticking and the like. Being an '01, it should be a reg cab as you could only get Super Cabs with a V6 that year, so things like the door ajar light staying on won't be an issue. The switch for the parking brake light in mine has started to stick, but it doesn't bother me enough to replace it. The light doesn't always illuminate when I set the brake.

Ball joints may be an issue later on. On mine the boots cracked almost all at the same time around 125K miles. I proactively replaced them as they are sealed from the factory, but the joints were still good. I went with Raybestos Pro replacements and have been very happy with them. I personally haven't seen a Ranger with less than 150K miles that actually had bad ball joints, but I have heard of them going bad before then. The noise will alert you long before they are dangerous. At 80K, they should be fine. Even if the boots are cracked, they probably have a lot of life left. My OCD with my truck's mechanicals just couldn't deal with cracked boots, so they had to go.

It should be an excellent daily driver. If mine were to be wrecked beyond repair tomorrow, I'd have another in the driveway by the end of the day.

I have used pennzoil synchromesh instead of ATF in the manual trans. The shifting was improved over the factory fluid.

Prolly one of Ford's better vehicles. The sages on the 2 Ranger forums I go to agree that the stock intake is fine. The Rat is a long cab 4x4 with a 4.0 on a 5spd. Check or change the fluids, limber up the spare tire gear. In daily driving in these parts, if you see a 25 yr old Ford , its a Ranger

I agree on the intake, it was just my first impression when I opened the hood and saw not one but TWO resonance chambers cluttering up an already busy engine bay! Not too many horses available in only 2300 cc any hoo.

Update: changed the oil, filter, trans ATF, rear end, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, etc. Still have to do the rack and the clutch and brake master cylinder. Brakes checked out beautiful, she has new sway bar end links, a new fuel filter, a new O2 sensor, and other signs of regular maintenance.

Thanks to all for the input. Deeply appreciate the well thought out suggestions. Hasn't been driven enough to get a mileage reading. I'll get some photos up later today with any luck after I'm done playin'...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back