larger replacement filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recommended filters now are usually smaller than what was standard years ago. Is there some cross-reference anyone knows of that would let me know what longer or larger filter will replace any other filter?

Just have to look around to find a similar filter then go on the filter websites to compare the specs. Wix's site is the only one I know of that also gives gasket dimensions.

Hey, what filters are you trying to upgrade in size. List them and the vehicles, engines, years, and folks will be tossing all kinds of oversized filter numbers your way.

The filtration is done by the holes in the media. If there are more holes in smaller media due to modern manufacturing, then the filtration is the same.

In the unlikely case of oil filter failure causing engine damage, and you don't use the recommended filter, the filter maker is not liable for the cost of repairs.

Ken

I have no issues with very logically and methodically choosing a larger filter.

As Tall Paul says, let folks know what you have.....nothing beats experience - some engines in some models have been using larger filters for many years with no issues.

It's easy to find out the thread size and gasket diameter and you should be able to see what fits...(be very careful here - engines move!)

ADBV and Bypass stuff can be looked up as well.

Just don't go experimenting at random.

Mainly I like the increased oil volume - I guess that's why I have a dual remote mount with two FL-1A's....
grin.gif

quote:

let folks know what you have

I picked up a new used 98 Civic LX, non VTEC D16Y7.

I'm not expecting any real problems with the standard filter, but I do feel better with the bigger filter. And trying to make sure, thread size, gasket size, ADBV, etc. all match seems difficult to find all the data in one nice place.

Just lazy I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back