Ford Eco-boost vs silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

We are company truck shopping. Chev says their 5.3 engines will exceed 30mpg and tow over 8000 pounds.
Ford says 8500 pounds with the Eco-boost and 30+ mpg unloaded.
I've had great experiences with the 5.3 engine even though I know these new ones are totally different animals than what I've already got.
Chev is offering a way longer warranty and 0 down,0% financing which is almost a no brainer.
We are buying 4 trucks which has the dealers very interested in playing ball here.
I'd rather have the Eco-boost however if the chev really does beat it in real world mileage then chev it is.
What is everyone getting in their trucks as far as mileage and overall experience.

Thanks

This kind of question will start a gang war.

IMO both are EXCELLENT.

however I think the ford 5.0 engine is closer to the chevy 5.3 than the eco-boost.

comparing apples to apples.

A turbo engine will have a much flatter torque curve.. and no altitude penalty.

Last edited:
Just curious but why not considering the ram as an option?
Isn't it the 1st truck to win truck of year 2 yrs in a row?
Has an available 8 speed tranny and the 3l diesel.
Does this truck not get as good MPG, plus I see the 2 Charges in your sig

Well the Eco-boost is an extra 1500 bucks as an option,money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
But ford want 20 grand more,5 grand per truck,which is almost a deal breaker however I like the Eco-boost enough to keep ford in the running.

Basically we want a 4wd,skid plates,tow hitch,vinyl floors,just a basic work truck with power,and fuel efficiency.
Fuel efficiency is gonna be very important as we see 1.50-2.00 a litre fuel.
I'm not interested in the 5.0,I'm interested in the Eco-boost which is why I am comparing the 2.
Chev says their 5.3 gets better mileage. I want to know if its true in the real world.

Where are you getting 30 mpg from?

The Chevy site says 23 hwy mpg for the 2wd 5.3, and 24 hwy mpg for the 4.3.

The "truck industry" is estimating the Ford 2.7 ecoboost will get around 25 hwy mpg.

Find a older one like mine. Gets 20 to 24 mpg proven tech and its a LOT cheaper... Mine only had 9k mile on it when I bought it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Just curious but why not considering the ram as an option?
Isn't it the 1st truck to win truck of year 2 yrs in a row?
Has an available 8 speed tranny and the 3l diesel.
Does this truck not get as good MPG, plus I see the 2 Charges in your sig

We took our numbers into dodge and they don't want to play ball. Both ford and chev are taking 8500 off the sticker price,then another 3000 in either free options or incentives.
I like the hemi engine. I'm on my second,and mds has proven itself to me,but for 4 trucks they want 40000 more than ford,which is insanity in my eyes.

Originally Posted By: stranger706

The "truck industry" is estimating the Ford 2.7 ecoboost will get around 25 hwy mpg.
He is talking about Imperial miles per gallon.

Have you test driven both versions? What brand trucks are in the fleet now? Which brand has a better dealer service dept?

Originally Posted By: stranger706

My brother went in to chev,and their salesman claimed their 5.3 gets better mileage than the Eco-boost.
I've seen Eco-boost trucks getting in excess of 30mpg,so I assumed that's the number chev is claiming to beat.
What's everyone getting on the highway in their Eco-boosts.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Have you test driven both versions? What brand trucks are in the fleet now? Which brand has a better dealer service dept?
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

My personal fleet consists of 3 Chevys,a charger,2 mustangs,a Capri and the wife's windstar.
The company owns 3 full sized vans. A chev with a 5.0,and 450k kms,and 2 fords. One with a 4.9 and the other a 5.8. As far as service I service them since we bought them used.

The past 7 years we've spent the bulk of our money on paying for equipment. We finally got smart 3 years ago and ditched the leases and bought outright however this winter killed us with 30000 in expenses fixing tools and 40000 on our forklift,but we still came out ahead with 300k in the bank after taxes,so we've decided to treat the partners with new trucks since we feel we've earned them.
Which is why I'm asking my questions. I want the best bang for my buck and fuel consumption is important.
I don't care about fuel consumption pulling a load. I want to know real world,unloaded on the highway.

Quote:
I don't care about fuel consumption pulling a load. I want to know real world,unloaded on the highway.
Care to explain this?

I know your OP didn't leave room for debate outside of your selected finalists, but might I ask what the trucks will be used for, since you mention that you "don't care about fuel consumption pulling a load."

My unasked-of opinion, is that you should buy four new Foresters! They have great fuel economy AND their "loaded" fuel consumption isn't much worse!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I know your OP didn't leave room for debate outside of your selected finalists, but might I ask what the trucks will be used for, since you mention that you "don't care about fuel consumption pulling a load."

My unasked-of opinion, is that you should buy four new Foresters! They have great fuel economy AND their "loaded" fuel consumption isn't much worse!

I'm open to any manufacturer that wants to play ball. Dodge excluded themselves so our next move is Toyota to see what they have to offer.

I'm more interested in value for the dollar spent,not what's cheapest.

Hey Clevy,

Good to see a fellow member in the S'toon area. I can't comment about the new GM 5.3 DI motors, as my only experience with one is on a quick test drive.

I can comment on the F150 EBs though, I have one, my brother has one, and my dad has one. All three of us love these trucks but 30MPG is nothing but a distant dream. 18-19MPG (imp gal)combined is about as good as it gets. Maybe 22-23MPG (imp gal) highway if you drive nice (100km/hr). Granted, none of these trucks are set up for maximum fuel mileage (max tow, 3:73 gears, 2 @ 7650gvw, 1 @ 8300gvw).

As others have mentioned, the torque is amazing. I have pulled 10,000lb with mine and it handles it fine.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: gap599
Hey Clevy,

Good to see a fellow member in the S'toon area. I can't comment about the new GM 5.3 DI motors, as my only experience with one is on a quick test drive.

I can comment on the F150 EBs though, I have one, my brother has one, and my dad has one. All three of us love these trucks but 30MPG is nothing but a distant dream. 18-19MPG (imp gal)combined is about as good as it gets. Maybe 22-23MPG (imp gal) highway if you drive nice (100km/hr). Granted, none of these trucks are set up for maximum fuel mileage (max tow, 3:73 gears, 2 @ 7650gvw, 1 @ 8300gvw).

As others have mentioned, the torque is amazing. I have pulled 10,000lb with mine and it handles it fine.

Hope this helps.

It does. A lot.
K. So 23mpg is as good as it gets then,so the chev is in the ball park.
I really,really like the fords.
I was a chev guy forever,except my mustangs, but today I'm not so brand loyal. I'm all about value.
Yeah the fords cost 5 grand more each but I feel we get more truck for the dollar.
Then I think about the 5.3 engines I currently own,and the 6.0 and they are great engines that have given me minimal issues.
Yeah the c3 has an issue right now with the grounds but thanks to Trav I've pretty much got that sorted out.

The trucks will be operated in mud as deep as the doors,pulling fully loaded trailers filled with tools.
I'm not concerned with mileage loaded simply because they only pull a trailer to the site,and it stays until the job is done then is moved to the next site.
I'm more concerned with fuel consumption.

Has chev got the AFE issues sorted out,the oil consumption issues etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back