Anyone from Cape Cod Mass. - Local Attractions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF and I are considering a mini vacation to Cape Cod either around Memorial Day or over the summer. 2 to 5 days in total. I have fond memories from when I was a kid but it's been a while since I've been.

Trying to come up with some ideas of what we would want to do if we go. Any must sees or unique things that are not so touristy ideas?

Would likely be staying around Sandwich, MA.

TIA.

Sandwich has a maritime museum that I think was free, and next door was a fish market if you'll be able to cook where you're staying. It's a pretty small place so I'm not sure much else is right there besides restaurants and some small shops.

Hyanis (maybe spelled wrong) is pretty close if you need a larger city for a good meal or you can't find a charter fishing trip or cruise in Sandwich.

All i can tell you is stay away from Provincetown, that maybe a little too unique.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
All i can tell you is stay away from Provincetown, that maybe a little too unique.
lol.gif

Have you personally met 99Saturn? If not, *she* and her girlfriend might enjoy that town :)

I lived/traveled around the Cape for years

Personally my suggestion is NOT to even consider it, go somewhere else!

1. There are two bridges to the Cape. The traffic will be crazy Memorial day weekend.
2. The "attractions" are poor. Very few restaurants have quality food. You can get better at your local Denny's. It all comes out of a Sysco food service truck just like at home.
3. The water will be too cold to do more than put your foot in.
4. The prices are crazy. Unlike year round tourist sites they only have 3 months to rip you off.
5. Route 28 is the main road through Hyannis. I guarantee it is NOT going to be what you remember. It's mostly chain restaurants, a mall, a couple of rotaries, and a McDonald's.

If you're interested in real-life crime scenes, there's always the bridge at Chappaquiddick...

Originally Posted By: css9450
If you're interested in real-life crime scenes, there's always the bridge at Chappaquiddick...

Nope, that's on Martha's Vineyard, technically not Cape Cod. An even worse tourist trap. It requires two ferry's to get to. One to get to Martha's Vineyard itself and then the ferry to Chappy.

Last edited:
If going up 95 thru CT, it is a giant parking lot every Saturday northbound during the summer (its already started). If you can get away early, thursday, friday morning, do that.

For NY'ers its not really a get-a-way; everyone you are trying to get-a-way from will be there too.

The Sandwich Glass museum has about a jillion azaleas and rhododendrons. Every town has a museum of local history. Plus there are day boats to take you fishing or whale watching.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
I lived/traveled around the Cape for years

Personally my suggestion is NOT to even consider it, go somewhere else!

1....5. Route 28 is the main road through Hyannis. I guarantee it is NOT going to be what you remember. It's mostly chain restaurants, a mall, a couple of rotaries, and a McDonald's.

As a native of Cape Cod (Dennis) who left the area because of the gist of these reasons, I wholeheartedly agree to avoid it during the summer. Unless you have nerves of steel and a way to fly in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back