Inexpensive headlight housing replacement score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was browsing rockauto for random replacement parts for my 2002 Buick Century and come across the entire headlight housing for both sides listed as various manufacturing for about $7 each. I sort of jumped on them incase it was a pricing error but wondering what people think about this if it's a score or going to be Chinese junk?

Normal replacements for my model are $60+ which leads me a believe maybe someone missed a digit somewhere?

I don't expect them to be CAPA certified but hoping they are better than my oem yellowed housings.

VARIOUS MFR GM2503182
VARIOUS MFR GM2502182

If I go back to rockauto the same items are now listed as about $43 each. When I ordered my parts they were listed as regular inventory FYI. So no wholesaler closeout 50 years old parts I hope.

I think you may have made a great score. (Hopefully) they will be decent replacements for the originals. I think you have a good chance they will be nice parts, especially since they were listed under regular inventory. For $7.oo each? Heck yeah, I would have jumped on that. That has got to be a pricing error - we have found some 'unreal' pricing errors at Macy's & others on-line. Quite a few at Macy's.

I have never, ever liked these new clear plastic headlight housings on cars. I know they are aerodynamic & you can shape them in many different ways to fit the body & yada yada yada but they just seem so cheap AND they yellow. Hope these turn out to be a warm & fuzzy deal

I buy a lot of stuff on close out from Rock. Sometimes you score an incredible deal.
Axxis metal master pads made in Australia for the VW $6 and Bendix Rotors for $8ea how do you beat that.

Last summer, I hit a deer with my F250 and had headlight, grille and clearance light damage. I got all the parts from RockAuto and they still look great. For larger parts, just make sure the shipping doesn't eat up all of your savings.

Originally Posted By: domer10
when waxing car wax headlights, or put some form of uv protectant on it.

Exactly, thank you.
I've been using turtle wax express shine on the cars after washing. It's doing a great job, beads up nicely in the rain. Have been paying particular attention to the headlights on both cars. The Benz has heavy composite lenses, they have held up well over almost 15 years.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Thanks, The ones on my Ranger are getting bad. $20 each with a new bulb included.

The housings came with all four bulbs installed already, high, low, parking, cornering lamps. I was pretty impressed it was so complete with the bulbs all dust covers even the little vent tube.

Link to pics.

pictures of housing and night shot of beams

Bought aftermarket headlight housings for a Chrysler minivan as could not buff out cloudy original housings well enough. Eagle Eye brand. Included 9004 bulb. Installation easy enough. Beam seemed a bit irregular and left and right beams were not symmetrical or reverse symmetrical and less even than the originals. Still much brighter than original housings so still better than dirty originals. Read article about aftermarket housings for Taurus. Not surprisingly, aftermarket had poor beam pattern compared to original. Do not remember who wrote article. Maybe they were selling something. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back