S55 AMG very high oil consumpiton hard driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

I started reading BITOG several months ago and I am very impressed of your knowledge and scientific approach of some people. This is definietely very usuful forum.

That's why I'm asking for some help. My 2004 Mercedes s55 amg with 240k kmcon it has some pretty anoying issue. When I am driving really hard, and I mean speeds about 250km/h-300km/h it consumes enourmous amount of engine oil. Also hard also rapid acceleration can cause that. Currently my workshop put 5w30 229.51 what is in my opinion weak diesel oil.
I am considering using 10w60 10w50 or 5w50 oil to provide better protection and reduce conspumption. I am pretty confident about miller's cfs 10w60 nanotechnology or regular 10w60 but in Poland we got.pretty cold winters and also I am worried about hydraulic valve.control system and other possible problems.Can you advice me the safest solution?

Why would you put 10w oil in Poland ?

5w40, 0w40 preferred
5w50, 0w50 preferred

Sorry to say that but thats a little bit to fast for the roads conditions .. unless you visit neighbours in Germany

In regular use oil consumpiton is about 1-1,5l/1000km driving hard I can consume 0,5l in 100km. I have Access to closed roads and tracks also highways in Germany. It is pretty normal to drive such speed there:) 10W seems to be thick enought to reduce consumpiton that is why I am thinking about it.

Last edited:
Most Americans are familiar with the Imperial System as the country proved itself intellectually unable to learn the system in the seventies, unlike every other developed nation.

Hear is your issue in American lingo. Your 175K Mile car consumes 5W30 oil prodigiously when you drive between 150 and 200 MPH.

You should use a more appropriate oil. Beyond thatvthere is nothing to discuss in your question. There is no issue. Be careful at those crazy speeds.

Once had a Benz where the intake manifold failed after 65k, oil leak near firewall. Dealer said that's normal. Luckily I had the extended warranty so got it fixed and sold it a few months later.

Hi,
the oil consumption appears to be around normal IMO and in your circumstance, but you need to use the correct viscosity - Ow-40 or 5W-40 - the 40 viscosity is important!

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Most Americans are familiar with the Imperial System as the country proved itself intellectually unable to learn the system in the seventies, unlike every other developed nation.

Hear is your issue in American lingo. . . .

If you're going to take a pop at people over intellectual ability, you should at least use correct words.

If there is no leak because that might also be an issue, I'd go with Mobil 1 5W-50 Extended life. If that won't be enough then try Mobil 1 10W-60.

My favourite option is Mobil1 5w50 but I am affraid it won't be enough. A I would also love to try Archoil 9100, 9200 or 9300 oil.additives.

Actually, the metric system has been invented after revolution in France so technically imperial system is older and prior to metric. That's why we should respect both sides:D

Your S55 is supercharged and sees relatively high manifold pressure to develop its 493 BHP. At those speeds, you're using most of the car's power, so your consumption is up.

Essentially, you're tracking/racing the car. Not certain to which oils you've got access, but the 5W30 is below the recommended viscosity for your engine, and certainly for your usage. In the US, the Mobil 1 0W40 is a great choice for your engine (and the turbocharged V-12 in my S class).

Don't worry about the 1st number (10W vs. 0W), worry about the second number.

Start here: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

I would recommend an oil like this: http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf

It's a 5W40 synthetic that meets MB 229.5. Because you drive so hard, you might consider a 10W60, not because of the 10W, but because of the 60...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Most Americans are familiar with the Imperial System as the country proved itself intellectually unable to learn the system in the seventies, unlike every other developed nation

Really messed up. You should look into moving to one of these smarter nations so you can be happier.

The problem with imperial system is that is no "user friendly" and all the proportions are messed up that is why it can be hard to switch for some people to the metric system. It has nothing to do with ability to learn or intelectual.capabilities. Don't fight when it is no reason for:)

Have you considered M1 15W-50?
Give it a try and see whether consumption isn't reduced.
Given the way you use your car, you probably do need something with really high HTHSV.

5w30 of any brand is not recommended for any AMG engine. You need at the very minimum Mobil 1 0W40 for your S55 AMG for normal daily drive at much slower than 250-300 km/h. If you drive at that high speed regularly then Mobil 1 5W50 is probably better choice in reduce oil consumption and protect your engine at 300 km/h.

Avoid them, pure and simple.
Try the Miller's 10W-60 if that's what you can get.
I doubt that it will stay a sixty very long, but it's probably worth a try.
You ever try either Syntec 0W-30 or M1 0W-40?
Either of these would likely work better than what you have in there now.

Hi,
Yes, if M1 5W-50 is available in Poland then it is probably a very good choice. It is the alternative to M1 0W-40 in many Porsche models and is a fine product with great cold start properties too

OZ and NZ changed to the Metric system several decades back - no problems!!

I'd be curious what your oil pressure and temp is running deep into these runs. What rpm are you running at? I would suspect 6 or 7K rpm. Looks like that car has a standard oil cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back