Audi FSi and TFSi owners chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accent GDI engine turns the engine oil black within a few hundred miles. Perfectly normal, google it. Just use top quality oil. I wouldn't do the 10,000 mile oil change interval though if I were you. Just stick with 5,000 to 7,500 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
My Accent GDI engine turns the engine oil black within a few hundred miles. Perfectly normal, google it. Just use top quality oil. I wouldn't do the 10,000 mile oil change interval though if I were you. Just stick with 5,000 to 7,500 mile OCI.

I typically put around 5000 miles a year on my car, so I will probably change the oil and filter at 1-year intervals.

As a side note, using LC20 and FP+ I'm already seeing a significant reduction in tail pipe soot.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I read an article last summer about DI engines and particulate emissions. It indicated that we will see more hybrid Port / DI designs in the future in an effort to curb particulate emissions. we'll see.
I do notice more soot on the tailpipes of my GTI than what I'm used to, especially after I tromp it, which I try to do regularly.
As far as oil, I have a 5K oil change coming up soon. Right now I have liquimoly 5W-40 low-saps in the crankcase. I'll post a UOA.

What Liqui-Moly is that?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Couple of points:

The EA888 "Gen 3" is already sold in the United states in 2.0T and 1.8T used across the line. These are built in Silao MX for VW branded products, I am not sure whether they will supply Audi's for the US market. 2014 year model US EA888.3 engines do not have the port injection, only DI. It was widely reported early on that the US Mark 7 GTI would sport the port fuel injection in addition to the DI, however that does not appear to be the case, I suppose we will know for sure when the first cars arrive.

Now the Audi version is not the same engine as it has increased output and "Audi Valve Lift".

Point being this: VAG feels there is some significant issue that can be solved by implementation of multi injection but for the US market there is some reason that are not including it - I don't know why.

It will be interesting to see if the Audi version actually uses it.

Also interested to hear further discussion of how different oil might impact the "blackness" of the oil.

I've got the EA888 gen 3 2.0T in my 2013.5 GLI; this info is true. It appears VW is not going to send that engine to the states, at least not wearing a VW badge. Even the mk7 GTIs aren't getting it. Possibly some EPA related thing, maybe they don't have the quirks worked out the way they want... who knows.

I've been wondering if an oil that meets VW 502 and MB 229.51 (low SAPs I think) would be best in my car (especially since I change the oil at 5k mile intervals) to help combat intake valve deposits. I bought the car in Sept 2013, and already have almost 12k miles on it. I'd like to keep everything in the best shape possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nolesfan
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Couple of points:

The EA888 "Gen 3" is already sold in the United states in 2.0T and 1.8T used across the line. These are built in Silao MX for VW branded products, I am not sure whether they will supply Audi's for the US market. 2014 year model US EA888.3 engines do not have the port injection, only DI. It was widely reported early on that the US Mark 7 GTI would sport the port fuel injection in addition to the DI, however that does not appear to be the case, I suppose we will know for sure when the first cars arrive.

Now the Audi version is not the same engine as it has increased output and "Audi Valve Lift".

Point being this: VAG feels there is some significant issue that can be solved by implementation of multi injection but for the US market there is some reason that are not including it - I don't know why.

It will be interesting to see if the Audi version actually uses it.

Also interested to hear further discussion of how different oil might impact the "blackness" of the oil.

I've got the EA888 gen 3 2.0T in my 2013.5 GLI; this info is true. It appears VW is not going to send that engine to the states, at least not wearing a VW badge. Even the mk7 GTIs aren't getting it. Possibly some EPA related thing, maybe they don't have the quirks worked out the way they want... who knows.

I've been wondering if an oil that meets VW 502 and MB 229.51 (low SAPs I think) would be best in my car (especially since I change the oil at 5k mile intervals) to help combat intake valve deposits. I bought the car in Sept 2013, and already have almost 12k miles on it. I'd like to keep everything in the best shape possible.

If it is VW 502.00 and MB 229.51 then it is Mid-SAPS.
MB229.51 is not that strict on some additive levels as VW 504.00/507.00.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

As a side note, using LC20 and FP+ I'm already seeing a significant reduction in tail pipe soot.

Do you add FP+ at every fill up?

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Do you add FP+ at every fill up?

Yes.

Hi - My audi a4 2.0-TFSI Turns ANY oil black in a few hundred miles. I know its crazy - I have been using rotella t5w-40 diesel- is a low SAPS oil-
Great oil at a great price.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
Hi - My audi a4 2.0-TFSI Turns ANY oil black in a few hundred miles. I know its crazy - I have been using rotella t5w-40 diesel- is a low SAPS oil-

RT6 is good oil, but it is not low SAPS.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: nicholas

-Dennis

the SAPS level in RT6 is 1.0%

sure, it's not as low as say... VW 504/507, which is .8% max.

It's basically low SAPS by the definitions given for the ACEA E specs it (and its competitors) meet. Of course, it's not "low SAPS" in the same way some ACEA C spec oils would be.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Yes. Every DI engine turns oil black fairly instantly.

Not true. My DI Fiesta ST and Focus oil looks like new at 5000 miles OCI's.

Cool - you are quite lucky.

Everyone else I know with DI - has the early black oil- its not bad - just strange to get used too.

if i remember correctly it was stated that all petroleum oils, fake synthetic group III included turn darker faster due to their makeup. i would not buy a DI only engined car at this point + time but would be running a REAL group IV-V oil as i do in everything i own + not any of the watery ?-20 oils

Originally Posted By: benjy
if i remember correctly it was stated that all petroleum oils, fake synthetic group III included turn darker faster due to their makeup. i would not buy a DI only engined car at this point + time but would be running a REAL group IV-V oil as i do in everything i own + not any of the watery ?-20 oils
What is ?-20 oils?
M1 0W40 for example is not only GrIII oil, but it is blend of several base stocks.
I know one thing, every UOA I saw of M1 0W40 (and I think M1 is def. not the best oil in market) was better then UOA of Motul X-Cess 5W40 which is PAO based oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back