PP 5w30, 7,537km, 2013 F150 EB, 16,221km Total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the third UOA for my '13 F150 ecoboost. It looks like it is breaking in nicely. I plan to start extending my drain intervals to 9,000-10,000km now and see how it goes. It was refilled with PP and a motorcraft filter again.

Let me know your thoughts.

13F150-041714_zps2e668b62.jpg

Those EcoBoost engines are really hard on oil. Even 10k km on a quality synthetic might be pushing it. The poor guy who uses conventional oil and doesn't pay attention to maintenance is going to be on a 1st name basis with his Ford dealer service department manager. Blackstone needs to send you a Christmas card.

Those numbers seem kinda high, Here is my UOA on my 2012 silverado. 5500k on Pennzoil. Glad I stuck with the old iron block engine...

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 10
COPPER 2
LEAD 2
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 59
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 2
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 49
SILICON 15
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 2156
MAGNESIUM 31
PHOSPHORUS 724
ZINC 822
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 420
SUS VIS 210ºF 58.7
cSt @ 212ºF 9.84

Miller,
How many miles on the truck though?
this is a twin Turbo, direct ingection with only 16k miles, its a 3.5 V6 putting out 365hp & 420lb*ft while getting up to 21mpg on the highway.
looks okay to me, wear # coming down nicely

I dont think you can really compare wear numbers for 5.3 GMC to a 3.5EB Ford, apples to oranges isnt it?

I expect the numbers to drop a little more seeing as how the truck only has 16k km (10k mi) on it).

I hope the truck last you a long time but a twin Turbo, direct injection v6 would concern me for the long haul.

My wear #'s where lower than this duing my breakin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
I hope the truck last you a long time but a twin Turbo, direct injection v6 would concern me for the long haul.

My wear #'s where lower than this duing my breakin.

because they're completely different engines.

So the new style engines should have more wear? I thought the newer innovations would bring lower cost and durability.

So the new style engines should have more wear? I thought the newer innovations would bring lower cost and durability.

You cannot determine rate of wear from a UOA.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Miller,
this is a twin Turbo, direct ingection with only 16k miles, its a 3.5 V6 putting out 365hp & 420lb*ft while getting up to 21mpg on the highway.

Not impressed with the new MPG numbers. I am getting 20 mpg city and 24 hwy.

Awesome, I was just pointing out the huge difference between engines, and I don't real life know EB mpg, as I don't own one, yet anyway

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Miller,

Not impressed with the new MPG numbers. I am getting 20 mpg city and 24 hwy.

that is a lot better than the 5.3 in the service truck I used to drive
thumbsup2.gif

I didnt post this UOA to start an argument over whose truck is better. Lets keep the discusion related to the UOA. Thanks.

Not saying mine is better. Just maybe mine is more stable because its proven technology.

No more comments....

thanks

How is the Eco-boost unproven?
They look bulletproof thus far,in real life. Just like the LS engines have proven to be.

Not enough time or miles on Eco-boost yet. Old style has been around 20 years. Take a least 3 or 4 years and hundreds of miles to see long term problems.

Not enough time or miles on Eco-boost yet. Old style has been around 20 years. Take a least 3 or 4 years and hundreds of miles to see long term problems.

I guess you missed the one they tortured and tore down.
Looked pretty good to me.

And hasn't it been 4 years since they came out. If there were problems I'm sure we'd have heard about them.

Last edited:
To the OP, thank you so much for posting this!! I too have a 2013 Ecoboost with about 13K miles on it. I haven't done a UOA yet but I do have a slight fuel smell on the dipstick all the time. Have always been a bit of an over maintainer since I work at a Ford dealer. I've been doing 3-4K changes on MC full synthetic 5W30 and have no problems. I do love this engine and truck, the low end torque is ADDICTING! All the naysayers just need to drive one....you'll see
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back