Best Diesel Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to start a fight but I would really like everyone's opinion on the best Diesel oil out there for pick up sized trucks. I have an old 96 Suburban that I have been running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in for quite some time and wonder what everyone else thinks???? I also have bypass filtering.

I only ran M1 TDT in my Cummins for a few months, and dumped it because oil consumption was higher than I was used to on Premium Blue. Then I put in Rotella T6 and have never looked back.

Originally Posted By: guybb3
I hate to start a fight but I would really like everyone's opinion on the best Diesel oil out there for pick up sized trucks. I have an old 96 Suburban that I have been running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in for quite some time and wonder what everyone else thinks???? I also have bypass filtering.

T6

I hate to start a fight but I would really like everyone's opinion ...

Thanks for that.

Let me clue you in on a little accepted secret:
THERE IS NO "BEST" OIL, OR FILTER, OR GEAR LUBE, ETC.

There are many good products on the market.
To know which is "best" would entail a LARGE investment, and a LONG series of trials, lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. This takes an investment that practically no BITOGer has the patience, cash and dedication to achieve.

But that won't stop them from espousing their favorite lube. Brand loyalty runs strong and deep here. And you asked for opinions, and that's exactly what you'll get. Other than sales hype and marketing rhetoric, you'll not get much in the way of "proof" of what's "best".

OTOH - I offer data that shows most any qualified lube will do a fine job. Read my normalcy article to understand.

BTW - are you greatly extending your OCIs, or just messing with bypass filters because you like to toy around with stuff for no return?

Assuming you have a 6.5 diesel, oil is really the easiest issue. In my experience, injection pumps, cooling system problems including head bolts & gaskets, and even nodular iron crankshafts are far worse. I run whatever 15W40, even straight 30 in the 6.2, both work great.

Hi,
guybb3 - You are already using one of the finest diesel engine oils on the market

I can confirm this after using its stable mate, Delvac 1 5W-40, over many millions of kms in heavy diesels (OTR vehicles) and in petrol engine families from Porsche and Mercedes Benz to a host of Japanese engines

To be cost effective you need to go to the maximum OCI possible in your application

I have grown pretty fond of the Schaeffer HDEO's, both 7000 15w40 semi syn and the 9000 5w40 full syn. Just had to throw another name out there to stir the pot a might. Price is reasonable for me, since I get it shipped free to me and they throw in a few oil sample kits with free postage and analysis to boot.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I hate to start a fight but I would really like everyone's opinion ...

Let me clue you in on a little accepted secret:
THERE IS NO "BEST" OIL, OR FILTER, OR GEAR LUBE, ETC.

Hence the reason for me asking for an opinion.

BTW - are you greatly extending your OCIs, or just messing with bypass filters because you like to toy around with stuff for no return?

20,000 Miles. In addition to the bypass I also run dual remote full flows with Mobil 1 M103 filters.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
T6 is on Rollback at Walmart for $21.?? for a 5-quart jug.

No, Walmart sells RTS in 4 quart containers. Most HDEOs sold at Walmart are sold in 4 quart containers. Walmart's Motorcraft HDEO is the only one I know of that comes in 5 quart containers.

Your year does not have piston squirters so use regular delo or delvac...my year has squirters so I use 10w30...everything is smoother on the 10w30 but my oil pressure can get low at idle at high temps. But on mine it is an aftermarket HV oil pump so it may have nothing to do with the lighter oil.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
guybb3 - You are already using one of the finest diesel engine oils on the market

I can confirm this after using its stable mate, Delvac 1 5W-40, over many millions of kms in heavy diesels (OTR vehicles) and in petrol engine families from Porsche and Mercedes Benz to a host of Japanese engines

To be cost effective you need to go to the maximum OCI possible in your application

With this end the thread.
Doug's experience over many millions of miles says it all.

If it ain't broke

my favorite is mobil delvac1 le 5w30.good pretty much for any vehicule (to be used within the car or truck recommendation)

i have grown especially fond of the Schaeffer diesel oils. Have gotten some of the best UOA's from using them. But, I buy in bulk, so I get a good value in that the oil is very competitively priced, is shipped free to my door, and they include free oil sample kits and analysis with my orders.

I have 2 diesel dump trucks I run hauling asphalt and dirt ect and I have opened up the oil filters after running a year with mystic 15-40 semi syn and love it filters looked clean , low oil use real clean under valve covers been using it about 6 years now and can be had at farm and fleet for I think 30 bucks after rebate for 5 gallons

I used Mystik JT-8 15w40 blend in another heavy diesel I owned and it was a very good oil for that engine. And the pricing was real good. Got it at my local farm and home store. They always seem to have a great low price on the stuff. If I wasn't getting a great deal on the Schaeffer I am using now, I would jump at the Mystik again. That is a real sleeper of an oil. Hardly anyone seem to know much about it outside of the commercial and ag community, but it is a real top performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back