M1 $24.97; M1 EP $25.17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart drops $0.20 a jug to $24.97 for all M1 but EP, EP stays put at $25.17 a jug.

Price difference between M1 and EP is $1.18/qt for quart bottle, $7.74 vs $8.92.

Unless someone needs 6 quarts for an oil change, buying quart bottles especially M1 EP makes no sense at all.

Let say you need 7 quarts M1 EP, buying 2 jugs costs $50.34 vs 1 jug and 2 quarts at $43, for $7.34 more you would get 3 extra quarts EP for top off or to use on the next oil change.

So which would you use for what is really the same price?
Does EP come with higher wear as a part of the longer oil life equation?
The oil might hold up longer, but could there be a price for that in engine wear, not that it would be enough to matter?
There must be some trade-off, otherwise why would XOM market both for the same price?
Or is it just a matter of the same oil with two different labels?

Add pack must be slightly better in the EP oil. And Wally world might get a lower wholesale price on the original Mobil1.
Those can be complicated questions he asks. Maybe PQIA could help with the answers on oil and add packs.

This jug versus quart thing been discussed before.

The existence of Walmart jug pricing makes the quart pricing obsolete, even at Walmart; the only possible reason for buying a quart is a single quart for topping-off, combined with extreme economic hardship (or stinginess) by someone who does not change their own oil.

Yet Walmart continues to stock, and therefore must sell, high priced quarts; no one is sure why.

What does peanut butter, milk, eggs, spaghetti, cookies, produce, motor oil, and just about every other consumable good have in common?

As quantity goes up, unit price goes down. It is always cheaper to buy in bulk. In the case of motor oil, a jug of 5 quarts equates to a lower per-quart pricing than buying 1 quart of oil. Always has, always will.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
What does peanut butter, milk, eggs, spaghetti, cookies, produce, motor oil, and just about every other consumable good have in common?

As quantity goes up, unit price goes down. It is always cheaper to buy in bulk. In the case of motor oil, a jug of 5 quarts equates to a lower per-quart pricing than buying 1 quart of oil. Always has, always will.

(I fully understand and agree with your point but) check out the peanut butter prices in your supermarket. There's a really good chance that the unit price per volume is actually higher on the larger sizes. Stores know "moms" grab the big containers out of reflex.

I don't care for shopping there, but if I was going to buy jugs there, I would buy 6 jugs. That gets you 30 quarts, which is divisible by 6, so you can send in for 5, $5 Mobil 1 rewards = $25 super certificate.

That jug pricing is really good especially because it's so consistent.

However, if you look out for specials you can get close with individual quarts elsewhere certain times of the year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back