Redline 10w30/ 20w50 2006 VFR800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline report , the moly is about half of the car oil type. It actually did better than expected flash wise. This was over a several month period all tight track, 30 to 100 mph corners. 2 quarts of 10w30 and 1 quart 20w50

oilrepo.jpg

The first report on the far right was 1100 mile on rotella 5w40 and the second report was 1900 mile on 15w40 Amsoil.

Ofcourse I was seeing a serious oil dgrade in the first 10,000 mile. I was doing oil changes about every 1100 miles with 5w40 rotella, after the first 300 mile breakin dump.

That's why I went to the Amsoil, tired of the 1100 mile changes. But after 10 or 15,000 mile the oil looked much better. And then I standardized around 2500 mile intervals.

But you can see atleast with the redline, I could extend.

But to me with the wear, it looks like a 300,000 mile motor easily.

Normally I don't like a 30 weight in a motorcycle or 5w40 pao's, which are nearly the same. Ive seen the lobe wear with sustained high rpm use.

I would have preferred the 10w40, but they only had 10w30 and 20w50, so I used 1 quart 20w50 and 2 quart 10w30. Looking at the VIS, the 20w50 aided the 10w30 holding up, it was still a 30 weight after the fact. I think done over I might try two 20w50 and one 10w30. For a much longer change interval.

BTW this bike has never seen a valve check or had the valve cover off in 105,000 miles.

clearly the track time (which track? cota?) burnt of the fuel issue you had been having in your uoa's

very interesting that with track time the alum went down.
yet copper came up and iron stayed the same.

does the RL use si as an antifoamer?

and that magnesium value really jumped, way different brew there.

c12 huh. try ms103 next time. wont hurt the cats. and doesnt leave the orangeish globs of lead behind in the cylinder head and piston crown. how much c12 did you run through it? 1 tank?

Orange globs(ms103), what fuel you been running? fuel without the lead, does me no good, I run it for the lubrication and decarburization.

C12 is outstanding, no deposits and the lead oxides eats carbon like crazy. I've ran it In a few bikes for a few hundred thousand miles. But I run a low mixture, just enough to do what I need it to do.

You did notice there was 100,000 miles between this uoa and the last, and no fuel worth mentioning this round.

I think Redline tends to show some weird elements, and some of these elements could be from residual oil(previous). But for Redline, this looks very very nice.

Last edited:
lead will leave the orange globs.
i asked the guy at VP and he told me it was lead.
hmmmm, been a long time. maybe that was c12 or it was howell 002 that occured for me.

yes i did notice the miles, in the total and for just that uoa.

that's a lotta seat time.

Last edited:
Ive never seen globs at all, or Even a little contaminant or I wouldn't run it, I run it for the exact opposite reason, prestine conditioning.

I've heard and read about Lead deposits and such, but Ive never seen that issue at all with c12 with the mixture I routinely run. The only other fuel ive run was Sunoco 112 leaded, I noticed the tail pipe lead oxide was not a clean as c12.

But you know there are so many formulas out there from Pump leaded of the past, to aviation lead, to various race fuels, Im sure some of it produce issues or else where would they all come up with these lead negativites.

I must be a lead Myth buster LOL!!

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Why not at least check the valves? That may be reckless

This bike is not notoriously a valve eater, and I have company at these mileage levels with no check, In addition not being dependant on unleaded fuel wear, and being to lazy to wash the bike, I wouldn't want to open the valve cover, without its first washing.

That's the great thing about a full faired bike, just baby wipe the fairings and its good enough. Ive never actually washed the bike with a hose, sometimes I get in a real heavy clean rain on the interstate, and that helps. I do baby wipe stuff here and there.

I learned back in my offoad days, riding for 2 hours and washing for 2 really sucks, just let the mud dry and the next time you ride it all falls off. So As I aged about the only time I put a hose to a bike, was when I was going to tear into the motor.

But yeah it could be wreckless, like going to the dentist till you have good reason, or a symptom.

Back when you were running full race lead, what did your uoa's show, about 700 to 800 ppm of lead?

That's a lot of lead, and probably on 10 gallon or less of fuel. Imagine how much lead ppm would be if over a few thousand miles at full strength. Id say the ppm would be in the several thousands ppm wise( definitely that level could have deposit issues. But on a low routine mixture Ive seen very nice results providing excellent decarbonization with some lubrication benefit.

highest is 651
most uoas in the 300-400 range.

try on 2-3gal of fuel

yes i totally agree that lead is fantastic for the valves...maybe not so much for me sniffing the tailpipe, but its all good!

yes when i ran c12 or howell 002 (i had a 35gal drum) i ran it 100%
no mix.

Do these still have gear driven cams? I recall some saying the older VFR models (80s) were some of the fastest to shear their oil out of grade. Is that the reasoning for selecting ester-based Redline (likely without VII's), because it won't shear?

And I agree on the wear levels - just outstanding for a hard-ridden tracked bike with that kind of mileage.

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650
Do these still have gear driven cams? I recall some saying the older VFR models (80s) were some of the fastest to shear their oil out of grade. Is that the reasoning for selecting ester-based Redline (likely without VII's), because it won't shear?

And I agree on the wear levels - just outstanding for a hard-ridden tracked bike with that kind of mileage.

Chains from '02 on with the VTEC...I do miss the gear whine
frown.gif

Thanks for posting the uoa. I hope my new (to me) 2003 vfr800 wears that well. I've got her filled with t6 and 2 ozs of redline break in additive, and a wix filter.

It brings up the zddp levels, makes for much smoother shifting as well as for added protection. A 16oz bottle will last for quite some time. I wouldn't use it in a bike that burns oil, because of added cylinder deposits, but mine doesn't burn any, so no problems there.

If you look at some of the better more expensive bike specific oils they usually have anywhere from 1700 ppm(mobil1) to 22-2400 ppm zinc levels(redline). I typically shoot for 1500-1700 ppm. works great.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Thanks for posting the uoa. I hope my new (to me) 2003 vfr800 wears that well. I've got her filled with t6 and 2 ozs of redline break in additive, and a wix filter.

Does the bike still have a cat? Although there is no downstream o2 sensor like cars, I would be concerned about its health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back