Sadly, the end is in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995 Chevy Caprice. 4.3L V8. Bought new, loaded out. Family car, raised my three kids in the back seat of it.

Then in 2007, oldest daughter turned 16 and she drove it through her high school years and half of her college. Middle daughter took over and drove it until now, she is getting my truck to go off to college in. Son turns 16 very soon, he will have 2.5 years in it.

Its mechanically sound, but beat to death. My eldest wrecked it badly, but we fixed it up and rolled on. Used for extreme short tripping, just 5 blocks, but across busy highway (so no option to walk). A/C broke, cruise broke, interior torn, numerous parking lot dings. Way too much to fix on a 200,000 mile car.

How would you guys maintain this? I am thinking just oil changes, nothing more. Any automotive end-of-life strategies I should consider? I am really going to miss this ole' car. Tons of memories in it...
frown.gif

Frame-off rotisserie restoration, GM V8 crate motor, 4-speed auto, Ford 9", cop car electrical, heating, cooling, steering, suspension,steel wheels with hubcaps, 4 wheel disc, custom leather, roll bar. That's how to maintain it. Your boy would love it!

Are you emissions exempt due to age? Someone will think it's awesome.

A cabbie for example.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Are you emissions exempt due to age? Someone will think it's awesome.

A cabbie for example.

No emissions in rural TX, no cabs, either. I get lots of looks driving it. I know the Chevy "cop car" style is in high demand right now.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
LT1 swap, LT4 hot cam. 4.10-1s. Do want.

Want a pic? If you are curious, I'll text one to anyone who will personal message your number to me. Its jet black with grey leather interior. Awesome highway ride and 21 mpg.

These things have already bottomed out in price and are on the way back up. If you don't like it, park it on the back forty, better than money in the bank.

Do you want to keep it or what? In Texas, no A/C.....screw that! Fixing the A/C is more than the cars worth.

If you're not worried about that, just keep on keepin on. Fluid maintenance etc. Sounds like my pops 98 Blazer. At 230,000 miles everything was falling apart so I sold it on Craigslist to a tech who could keep it running at minimal cost.

Yeah, just driving it 5 blocks isn't really enough time to get everything cooled by the A/C anyways. Mornings aren't too bad, maybe 80-85 degrees. The evenings are brutal, but son will be coming home from football practice anyways. He can just drive with windows down.

I would love to eventually find someone who would really want this car, and give it the care it deserves. It could be "reborn" with the right owner.

I had a 97 Lumina that filled the same role in my life. It was the first car my wife and I bought together, we brought our newborns home from the hospital in it, etc. It had over 230,000 miles, and was fundamentally sound but developing significant rust. It finally had a serious power train problem (serious meaning $$$) when my wife was driving it home on a long trip. I decided it was not worth sinking further money into, and even if I did it was not worth the worry of my loved ones traveling long distances in an old car. After considering selling it for what amounted to scrap value, we ended up donating it to the Boy Scouts of America for the tax write off.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
. It was the first car my wife and I bought together, we brought our newborns home from the hospital in it, etc.

Me too!
thumbsup2.gif

Since you bought this thing new and know its history, it might not be totally foolish to fix everything that's wrong as you go and keep it.
Lots of sentimental value and parts are not a problem.
Rust would also not have eaten this car alive in your corner of the world, whereas here, it would be held together with duct tape and prayer.
These cars never gained the popularity of the Ford Panthers and so had much shorter production lives.
I can recall a Car&Driver road test from years back where they refered to this car as "Orca, the Caprice".
This was the last generation of GM's big B-body RWD cars.
It is an interesting period piece and would be fun to have as a bit of your past life.

My 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 is still chugging along with over 250K miles. It has survived the brutal heat and unforgiving ice, cold, snow and salt of NYC. All I've done is basic maintenance, tune ups, wires, brakes, belts, battery, Tires, alternator etc...and it has not let me down.

I just remember to keep all of the fluids clean and I change them when needed. I did run 2 full cycles of "Kreen", the dream, a couple of years ago and the oil now runs clean like new. IMO...that Kreen really added better MPG, quieter engine and better operation.

I'm running all synthetic fluids in the T4R now. Mobil 1 for the diffy's, transfer case, ATF, Power Steering fluids. Pennzoil DOT 3 from Big Lots that I loaded up on. I still flush the cooling system every 3 to 4 years and replace the fluid with OEM Toyota Red and distilled water. The Toyota Red is full strength and I picked it up, and stockpiled 10 Gallons, at Car Quest for about $20 a gallon a few years ago.

IMO...keep the fluids changed, basic maintenance and it should last.

Last edited:
Keep up with ALL maintenance, not just oil changes. This could have years of life left in it.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: R80RS
. It was the first car my wife and I bought together, we brought our newborns home from the hospital in it, etc.

Me too!
thumbsup2.gif

It's a cool thing when your kid gets to drive the same car she got her first car ride in as a newborn infant.

There are no shortage of cars on our roads where the engine keeps turning, the transmission keeps shifting, but not another thing works.

Anyway, there are some people who like to turn this model of Caprice into "donks." If you can find a custom shop that makes donks, maybe someone will pay extra since it is a Caprice.

Hopefully when you see it back on the road, you don't recognize that it was once your car. I'm sure you would be nauseated to see what customizes do to such cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back