what is the value of a quart of used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to update.8/22/13 we were paid $1.15/gallon. At one time my former boss was paying to have it removed. Then found a guy that would take it for free, he used a waste oil heater in his shop. He was a PITA and wanted us to separate out mineral spirits and synthetics. That wasn't going to happen. The Recycler I found likes to have 200+ gallons to make it worth the trip anything less and he pays less/gallon.

I've always wondered what they did with the filters, I guess I assumed they burned em out and scrapped the steel left over. You could probably heat a building on used filters if ya wanted to.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I've always wondered what they did with the filters, I guess I assumed they burned em out and scrapped the steel left over. You could probably heat a building on used filters if ya wanted to.
That is what happens. Here is a video of an oil filter recycling factory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NplprEGyFKw

Originally Posted By: theaveng
It's worth ~ $4 when the gallons of used oil displaces a gallon of diesel in my car's tank.

No just kidding.

I'm not. I've been running my Dodge on the occasional blend of 6-10% waste oil for years. I only use stuff that I generate from my own cars, or where I absolutely trust the source. I filter it before pouring it in. Don't try this on a common rail engine or one that has aftertreatment.

Giving away used oil is like giving away money. It represents an energy BTU and as we all know energy costs us all. With proper filtration systems and even with out them, it can be used. Like the mention of shop heaters they use a pretty simple filtration system and the pump seems to last for years and burner nozzle doesn't get plugged.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm not. I've been running my Dodge on the occasional blend of 6-10% waste oil for years. I only use stuff that I generate from my own cars, or where I absolutely trust the source. I filter it before pouring it in. Don't try this on a common rail engine or one that has aftertreatment.

What do you use to filter the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back