Amsoil ASM 0W20 30100 mile UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 98 Lexus GS400
Miles at time of oil change: 205k
Oil: Amsoil ASM 0W20 Signature Series oil
Filter: Amsoil EAO15 (large one equiv size to FL1A/PF8A)
Miles: 30100
Time: 13 months
Total add: 1/2 quart around 10k miles.
Lab: Polaris in Indianapolis

I included a VOA from Blackstone that I found here on BITOG for my own comparison. It is not from this actual sample. If there is a blank, then it was not tested

Code:
Amsoil ASM VOA Amsoil ASM Lexus 1UZFE

Iron 0 38

Chromium 0 0

Nickel 0 1

Aluminum 0 5

Copper 0 6

Lead 0 12

Tin 0 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 4 29

Sodium 3 92

Potassium 0 2

Titanium 0 3

Molybdenum 146 108

Antimony 0

Manganese 0 0

Lithium 0

Boron 264 31

Magnesium 14 25

Calcium 3779 2938

Barium 0 0

Phosphorus 714 554

Zinc 822 654

TBN 12.6 1.62

Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 8.8 11.3

Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 46.7 Not Tested

I have 11k on Castrol Edge with Titanium 5W20 and Purolator Pure One filter in the car now that will be drained here in the next week or so and sent in.

Last edited:
Excellent oil but, Oil = toast. Try 20K next time
smile.gif

There is no better extended drain UOA with only 1/2 quart top off. If your driving condition doesn't change you should keep using Amsoil Signature Series 0W20 and keep on driving.

It sure is fun to see a UOA like this one. The thickening is what jumps out at me too but not surprising for those miles!

I will be interested to see your Castrol Edge analysis at 11k miles. That might be the ideal choice if it comes back nice?

What do you plan to put in when you drain the edge?

Quite a bit of thickening.
It's to be expected as the oil used is a 25,000mile OCI normal usage oil, 15,000mile for severe.
The 98 GS400 is specced for 5w30, 5w20 and you are using 0w20 and going 5,000 miles past it's specced normal usage.
OMG,,,,,!!!!
cry.gif

But seriously now, nothing wrong with using 0w20, I'd just advise sticking to the specced mile usage of the oil.

Last edited:
It wasn't by choice going to 30100 miles on this oil change, with the brutal winter up here it was very hard to get a chance to change it when I needed to. And I drive around 80 miles min a day to work and back, so the miles keep racking up.

The reason I went with 0W20 is the bearing clearances on the 1UZFE in 1998 where significantly tighter than the 1UR-FSE (4.6L in the LS460), and the 1UR-FSE was spec'd at 0W20.

I know now for sure not to exceed 25k miles, and going down to 20k-22k might not be a bad idea.

Would the bypass filter actually help the LIFE of the oil in this case? I have it, but not installed (hard to install on this tight engine compartment)

I already picked up the 0W20 ASM again, I have pondered going with the 5W30 HDD instead. Maybe I will, I need to get oil for my wife's RX she just bought, so maybe she will get the 0W20....

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
It sure is fun to see a UOA like this one. The thickening is what jumps out at me too but not surprising for those miles!

I will be interested to see your Castrol Edge analysis at 11k miles. That might be the ideal choice if it comes back nice?

What do you plan to put in when you drain the edge?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder
It wasn't by choice going to 30100 miles on this oil change, with the brutal winter up here it was very hard to get a chance to change it when I needed to. And I drive around 80 miles min a day to work and back, so the miles keep racking up.

The reason I went with 0W20 is the bearing clearances on the 1UZFE in 1998 where significantly tighter than the 1UR-FSE (4.6L in the LS460), and the 1UR-FSE was spec'd at 0W20.

I know now for sure not to exceed 25k miles, and going down to 20k-22k might not be a bad idea.

Would the bypass filter actually help the LIFE of the oil in this case? I have it, but not installed (hard to install on this tight engine compartment)

The oil did well. I would love to see side by side results with the bypass filter installed. I wonder what impact if any it would have on the oil thickening? That's a topic I really don't know too much about but would love to learn more about.

One thing is for certain, you are the reigning king of OCI on BITOG!

No one has a comment about the sodium? I said, "yikes" when I seen that number.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The sodium without potassium is indication of a previous fill with sodium based additive package.

Thanks for the answer. My next question is what brand uses that much sodium and why?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The sodium without potassium is indication of a previous fill with sodium based additive package.

Thanks for the answer. My next question is what brand uses that much sodium and why?

Various. Valvoline conventional, Mobil Super, Super tech, and ect. Sodium is a additive for detergent/dispersant.

I know it is an additive. All the ones I have seen have been single digit ppm.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Various. Valvoline conventional, Mobil Super, Super tech, and ect. Sodium is a additive for detergent/dispersant.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I know it is an additive. All the ones I have seen have been single digit ppm.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Check out VOA's and the PQIA website. The mentioned PCMO's have a quite of bit more sodium than 9 PPM.

Question - am I looking at this wrong? The oil thickened, sure, but it thickened into a 30 weight range, which is ok for this vehicle. Good, or am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: EyesofThunder

The oil did well. I would love to see side by side results with the bypass filter installed. I wonder what impact if any it would have on the oil thickening? That's a topic I really don't know too much about but would love to learn more about.

It's better if an oil shears a little than to thicken(oxidize). When an oil ozidizes it begins to form varnish, perhaps ring coking, and or sludge deposites can begin. I'm a 10K OCI guy, but you might consider a 15K OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back