VW Passat- Amsoil does not make a gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smokey422
We have a 2014 VW Passat that I love with the 5 speed manual shift and although Amsoil makes an approved motor oil, they don't have an approved gear lube. ....

As a point of order.

Amsoil may make an oil they "recommend" for it or say is "suitable", however there is no Amsoil product listed on the Official VAG Approved Engine Oils .

I would encourage one to understand the distinction.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
We have a 2014 VW Passat that I love with the 5 speed manual shift and although Amsoil makes an approved motor oil, they don't have an approved gear lube. ....

As a point of order.

Amsoil may make an oil they "recommend" for it or say is "suitable", however there is no Amsoil product listed on the Official VAG Approved Engine Oils .

I would encourage one to understand the distinction.

Just an FYI but AMSOIL has actually started to pursue the official Euro approvals. Their mid-SAPS product, AFL for example, sports the following OEM approvals:

BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

I would expect an official VW approval to be coming up, though as noted, it does not carry one currently.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just an FYI but AMSOIL has actually started to pursue the official Euro approvals. Their mid-SAPS product, AFL for example, sports the following OEM approvals:

BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

I would expect an official VW approval to be coming up, though as noted, it does not carry one currently.
smile.gif

I actually consider that good news... Looking forward to the update...

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Look up the fluids that meet that spec:

"Recommendations" and "suitable for" is not the same as meeting spec or having VW approval. You have to believe their claim that it will work. Good luck with that if your tranny dies under warranty.

All I know is my voa of VW fluid shows the fluid is thick. The Ravenol does not meet GL-5 so I don't know how they can make the claim of meeting spec.

Last edited:
We have a 2014 VW Passat that I love with the 5 speed manual shift and although Amsoil makes an approved motor oil, they don't have an approved gear lube. I like Amsoil gear lubes ever since the first change I put in my 1983 Ford Ranger 4 speed manual pickup. Does anyone know if Amsoil plans on making a gear lube for my Passat?

I'd just stick with the factory recommended VAG manual transmission fluid. I wouldn't call it gear lube as that's for a different application. I've tried RL MT90 on my 2000 Jetta and I liked the OEM MTF better. I'll be switching to it next year.

i use Amsoil oils but Redline gear lubes. put MT-90 in my O2J VW 5 speed, it helped shifting a lot. it took about a thousand miles though, wonder why. put it in mt TT's O2M i believe 6 spd manual as well

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Redline MTL would have been the appropriate fluid, not MT90.

Not if the motor sits longitudinal and uses a spiral bevel gear in the transmission.

Audi/VW use very thin OEM MTF. Usually under 7 cSt at 100C. Redline MTL is much closer to that than MT90.

Then RP Synchromax should be the choice. Same as BMWs. Much better than anything offered by Redline or Amsoil in that category.

many years ago in my 01 jetta O2J 5 speed i had run Amsoil series 2000 in my gearbox-transaxle, after several thousand miles shifting deteriorated, switched to MT-90 + forever happy. using it in my 01 TT 6 speed now, more satisfaction again. i do use Amsoil's REAL synthetic oils though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back