Proposed (draft ) epa rules on the use of funnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before they switched to the new gas cans I bought a couple new 2.5 gallon ones that I always use. Mainly for the replacement plastic flex hose.

Does anyone know where you can get replacement hoses for the older gas cans?

I found replacement nozzle for $6. More than I paid for the whole gas can. And some for over $15 each.
eek.gif

Gas cans aside, who needs a funnel?
lol.gif
I only use a small one for pouring ATF into a dipstick tube. I keep that one in a ziplock bag.

But really, I don't like funnels. I feel their primary purpose is to introduce dust to the machine's delicate parts.

I know this is one of those "life hack" sort of comments, but if you cut the top from almost any plastic bottle you have a cheap funnel.

I bought a set of funnels 20+ years ago and I fully expect them to last the remainder of my earthly existence. I also have a 1991 vintage gas can that I haven't used in years - switched to battery powered lawn care tools. Anyone want to buy it? LOL

For oil top-up (mostly on motorcycle/scooter) I use a bottle with a screw-on spout with a tethered cap.

Think its intended for chilli sauce and the like.

Funnels get dirty and are difficult to clean.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I know this is one of those "life hack" sort of comments, but if you cut the top from almost any plastic bottle you have a cheap funnel.

I bought a set of funnels 20+ years ago and I fully expect them to last the remainder of my earthly existence. I also have a 1991 vintage gas can that I haven't used in years - switched to battery powered lawn care tools. Anyone want to buy it? LOL

Illegal transfer of regulated materials
smile.gif

Like I said a month ago...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If they outlaw soda bottles and box cutters, only criminals will have cheap funnels.

I see a future of people sticking up convenience stores with plastic funnels and coke bottles, and the proprietor will have a roll of Bounty under the counter to defend.

My Car actually Came From the factory with a Small Funnel down in the spare tire kit, specifically for use with gas cans

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I thought the whole point of the no-spill gas cans was to eliminate the need for a funnel. It's a "no spill" can. It's not a "no spill only if you use a funnel" can.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
My Car actually Came From the factory with a Small Funnel down in the spare tire kit, specifically for use with gas cans

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I thought the whole point of the no-spill gas cans was to eliminate the need for a funnel. It's a "no spill" can. It's not a "no spill only if you use a funnel" can.

Do you have the capless filler?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
I saw in the Federal Register a proposal for comment on contracting (letting of contracts) to prepare rulemaking for containment of emissions from funnels. The justification cited is reduction of volatile airborne emissions, and concern on use of funnels by "homeowners" and other untrained persons outside the petrochemical industry. some type of self closing funnel was described, similar to the gas can fuel control system now in use. implementation date was listed as 2016 in california coastal area and NE USA

LINK? SOURCE?

Google it and all you get is this BITOG thread. But lets carry on for more pages about the horrors of the alphabet agencies and the gubm't goons...

(edit) and this is in the "interesting articles" forum? I would think conspiracy/off topic would be a better fit.

Last edited:
Meh...wouldn't think twice about it. there are lots of things that congressman ask agency to look into or crazy bills they try to get added on to other bills. It's all show for the constituents back home.

Wouldn't the ATF be a logical regulator? Alcohol, Tobacco, and Funnels. Get them out of guns and explosives.

Overall we need to do one of two things: Stop making stupid non-functional regulations, or revive the old mental hospitals and confine all the people that think they are helping (anything).

I suppose it would also work to restrict the rule making to people with sufficient intelligence and knowledge, and not reporting in one form or another to a politician owned by some special interest group with more money that one can easily imagine. Naah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back