How does Fram CH10075 compare with Mann Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I found that some Canadian Tire have oil filters for BMWs too.

For my E90 328, The Fram Extra Guard PN is CH10075, at 13$.

I was wondering how it compares to the BMW's oil filter, which is the Mann HU962/5z, which can only be bought online or at the dealer?

Does anyone have experience with both on them?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Hi,

I found that some Canadian Tire have oil filters for BMWs too.

I was wondering how it compares to the BMW's oil filter, which is the Mann HU962/5z, which can only be bought online or at the dealer?

Does anyone have experience with both on them?

Thanks in advance.

Many do not like FRAM Extra Gaurd oil filter... but the Filter your talking about is cartridge Correct?

I have seen that filter before and it looks fine.

However I know this.. MANN makes a very HIGH QUALITY Oil Filter.

However FRAM filter for your car is good also.

It would depend on price.

Personally I would get MANN if I had a BMW

but I would feel fine with useing a FRAM

Also here is the FRAM

3798d058-83c7-4240-ad23-8b3c7644171b.jpg

here is the MANN

28chj02.jpg

Look at this Filter made by BMW

autoscope_dsc_500x375.jpg

oil-filter-layer.jpg

pic3.jpg

Again... FRAM looks good.... but if MANN is only a a few $ more Id get the MANN... but again FRAM looks good also so its really up to you.

what do you think now that you seen pics?

the MANN sorta looks more like the OEM BMW Filter...

Originally Posted By: David1

MANN probably makes the OEM BMW filter. They make the OEM filter for my Audi, but I can buy the MANN filter from Amzaon for 1/2 what the OEM filter costs at the dealership.

71faBM41a9L._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

MANN probably makes the OEM BMW filter. They make the OEM filter for my Audi, but I can buy the MANN filter from Amzaon for 1/2 what the OEM filter costs at the dealership.

71faBM41a9L._SL1500_.jpg

MANN IS GOOD. Watch the videos.

Now this is a very good video b/c he takes oil filters that look exactly the same as OEM and MANN and cuts them open and compares them to MANN oil filters that he cuts open and compares the ADBV to the bypass vavle and the base plate and the Filter media... He shows how some filters really skimp out on filter media.

check it out.

Look at this Filter made by BMW

autoscope_dsc_500x375.jpg

Again... FRAM looks good.... but if MANN is only a a few $ more Id get the MANN... but again FRAM looks good also so its really up to you.

what do you think now that you seen pics?

This is not the filter problem, this is sludge for too long OCI and no filter can do anything when sludged up like this.

I don't know the quality of Fram cartridge filter for BMW. I tried Fram cartridge filter for MB E430 and didn't like it. The media quality is not as good as Mann, the fit was loose didn't stay on the filter holder like Mann.

In general, German brand cartridge oil filters such as Mann, Malhe, Hengst, Bosch ... are better than any other for not much more.

Be very careful with USA made Mann filters. I inspected two Mann cartridge filters for a Toyota recently at an autoparts store and I do not know how they passed QA inspection. The pleat spacing was very poor and the epoxy on the endcaps were dripping down the filter media in places. I do not know who actually made it for Mann but they both exhibited the same quality issues. I put them back on the shelf and moved on to Fram Ultra.

If it is a low demand application it is likely Fram did not make the Fram filter anyway. If they did it'd be a lot less than 13 bucks. The Fram made Fram cartridge's at Wally's are 5-6 bucks, the outsourced ones are more like 10.
frown.gif

That said I didn't see anything concerning with the Fram you pictured and if it's less than the other it'd be worth trying IMO.

Also here is the FRAM

Checkout that cherry pleat spacing and V-spread. You can look right through the clear material used for the end caps and see the end of every pleat.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Also here is the FRAM

Checkout that cherry pleat spacing and V-spread. You can look right through the clear material used for the end caps and see the end of every pleat.
19.gif

yea but its very strong and does the job very well.

Hi,

I bought the FRAM filter, so I will take pictures of it for information.

I may keep it as a back up filter if needed or return it to the store if I can easily find Mann filters at about the same price (up to 20-25$ a piece).

Garak, since we have CT here, we don't have Partsource stores. Do you think NAPA will have Mann filters? What other brands of car parts stores do we have in Canada that can have parts for BMW cars?

I was just surprised that some CTs have oil filters for BMWs. I just wanted to share my findings and get your opinion on this filter. I will upload the pics soon.

Hi,

Isn't Mann HU816x the correct part number for your car?

Anyway, out here these Mann filters are actually less expensive than Fram, so it's a no-brainer to use them. I get mine from Amazon with free shipping, but I suppose shipping would be a deal breaker for you in Canada.

Garak, since we have CT here, we don't have Partsource stores. Do you think NAPA will have Mann filters? What other brands of car parts stores do we have in Canada that can have parts for BMW cars?

That's strange. We have three CT stores and two Partsource stores. Napa would be a place to check, but their pricing might be out to lunch. Check the Canadian version of the Autopartsway website. They will be extremely hard to beat if you cannot access a Partsource. The prices on OEM German filters are much the same between Partsource and Autopartsway.

Hi,

Here is the pic of the filter:

As you can see, I am not that lucky as it seems this filter has been made by a sub tier for FRAM.

What do you think of it anyway?

QP, you are right, the PN for the N52 engine is the HU816x.
I will see if I can get it from Amazon as they don't ship everything to Canada.

Hopefully, I will get an air filter from Mann too.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That's strange. We have three CT stores and two Partsource stores. Napa would be a place to check, but their pricing might be out to lunch. Check the Canadian version of the Autopartsway website. They will be extremely hard to beat if you cannot access a Partsource. The prices on OEM German filters are much the same between Partsource and Autopartsway.

Thanks for the info, Garak, that is very nice of you.

Yes, Napa is usually quite expensive, but at least, we can order almost everything from them.

I will try autopartsway and amazon and see what I can get from them.
From what I understand, I will have to buy online and not locally.

Not a problem at all. When I had my Audi, I bought just about everything from Autopartsway. They had all kinds of OEM stuff and at good prices, not to mention the filters. They keep some pretty good stock, and only a few times did I have to order from the States. Autopartsway will send you discount codes by email periodically if you sign up or purchase from them. They're usually not huge, around 5%, but that saves the GST at least.
wink.gif

Use a NAPA Gold 7327 part number. Better than Mann filters or Frams, having more surface area and glass-fibers blended into the cellulose media for better filtering.

Hi,

Here is the pic of the filter:

As you can see, I am not that lucky as it seems this filter has been made by a sub tier for FRAM.

What do you think of it anyway?..

OK, so is the made in Korea CH10075 pictured on page one the new design or now superseded by one shown made in China? Imo, based on the website catalog, I'm thinking the latter. Or maybe they are made in both places still, but I doubt it.

The Fram catalog shows the one above. http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=CH10075

As for being "made by a sub tier for Fram" I'm not certain of that. According to the link below, Fram has a manufacturing plant in Shanghai, China. I know some of the Fram rigid frame air filters are made in China because I've used them on a Civic. I believe the linked source to be accurate though because the other two manufacturing plants mentioned in link, Albion, Illinois and York, South Carolina are accurate. Albion is the home of Champ now under the Fram name.

As for which is better, no opinion as I've used neither/none in this application. I have found Wix/Napa Gold cartridges to be excellent quality in Hyundai/Kia applications but they are a slightly different application design (have an inner nylon cage) from the CH10075.

http://www.petroclear.com/corporate/history.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back