what damage is causing this noise (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi..

I wanted to know what kind of damage is causing this sound..
The noise has grown over time and it comes most of the times now.
If i drive on a uneven gravel road, its very loud even if i am going straight.
If i move the steering in parking, then also it makes sound.
Noise is coming from the right side (somewhere from the right wheel).

Now it's grown so much that if I stand next to the right tire and push the car back and forth.. I can hear this sound from outside also.

Ignore the key chain sound and battery low sound and listen at high volume...
Video https://www.dropbox.com/s/95xvcao94abx9qk/Video2.mp4

Is this damage serious?

You've got a loose suspension part. It could be a dangerous situation. Impossible to tell what. Check the A-arm mounts, shock mounts, etc.

It sounds like the steering shaft is worn out to me. My Malibu had this problem. It was fine on smooth roads, but in a parking lot or on a rough road it would be scary.
There is likely a couple of cross joints in the steering shaft that have packed up. I would say it's getting to the point of being dangerous, I would fix it.

Could be steering shaft as posted above, also sway bar could be really loose or a broken bolt. That thing needs to get on a lift fast. Don't drive it until its checked out.

Either the steering shaft or the steering rack under the car.

Take it to a frame and wheel shop for a diagnosis.

A frame and wheel shop is a shop that specializes in alignments, suspension, and frame straightening.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You've got a loose suspension part. It could be a dangerous situation. Impossible to tell what. Check the A-arm mounts, shock mounts

That's my guess.

Last edited:
Not a bump, but update

I went to a garage, and he replaced the shock absorber mounting (insulator strut) and link rod (also known as Rodassyconsstab).
Noise was "reduced" for 2 days but it's the same now.
The cars ability to absorb shocks felt improved....
Much improved.

Also i felt that there is some improvement in stopping distance, and the car is not nose-diving. (not sure if it was actually happening or it was psychological).

Also when he removed the assembly to change the part, he mentioned that the shock absorber has become weak.

Then he demonstrated the shock absorber to me, first he pressed it down by hand, it was going down slowly, then it came up slowly after leaving it.
After that he pulled the shock absorber up, again it went up slowly, but when he left the shock absorber, instead of staying there, it started coming down slowly (which shouldnt have happened according to the mechanic).

However he advised me, its ok, the shock absorber doesnt cause such sound, and you can still use the same shock absorber - telling me not to spend money on the shocks.

Can someone over here further diagnose the problem, which is this sound coming as shown in the video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/95xvcao94abx9qk/Video2.mp4

Or suggest me what parts to check.

The mechanic told the suspension, lower arm, bushes etc look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back