Old but interesting 'oils ain't oils' article

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing some online research I found a very interesting read on an Australian motoring website.
It contains some fairly extensive and somewhat reliable information done by a guy that seems passionate in the subject.
It may have been posted before as it was posted in 2004 and note that obviously a lot of oils have changed in the last decade.

http://www.boostcruising.com.au/advice/43857-Oils-Aint-Oils.html

If the link doesn't work for some people I'll just copy and paste it

"Pennzoil GT Performance 20w 50 in most of the V8's I work on, but conflicting product data sheet test results have lead me away from it."

Some things never change!

I agree with everything in that article. I am still a fan of 10w30. I am not a fan of long oil changes even with synthetics. Although oils have gotten better. Newer engines dump more pollution into the motor and less out the tailpipe.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Oil Changer, Not trying to start trouble. I just wanted to know Why the hate for Valvoline/Ashland products?

You had to ask didn't you?

My guess is that he's run out of Maxlife ATF and none of the chain locations near him carry it.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Oil Changer, Not trying to start trouble. I just wanted to know Why the hate for Valvoline/Ashland products?

He's upset because he thinks Maxlife ruined his transmission and Valvoline wouldn't warrant the issue because a uoa showed an ingredient that isn't found in Maxlife but was in his FF of Dexron 3.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I agree with everything in that article. I am still a fan of 10w30. I am not a fan of long oil changes even with synthetics. Although oils have gotten better. Newer engines dump more pollution into the motor and less out the tailpipe.

I agree with it too and also only use 10w30/40
I will also be changing my OCI from about 10,000kms to around 7,500 with the odd 2,000 OCI every year or so.
At the end of the day all the contaminants are still there no matter how good your long drain synthetic is! It handles and controls them better but I'd much rather have them drained and filled with fresh oil!
I'll report back on what this does to the slight layer of varnish in my engine as well.
Above all this I get to feel that warm fuzzy feeling more often that I get after an oil change!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back