EGR failure on a 2010 Honda Fit, hard to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was driving home last night and at a stop light the car sputtered and died. She was able to get it running long enough to pull into a parking lot. My first guess was that the fuel pump croaked as you good turn it over with your foot on the gas but the minute you let off the gas it dies.

Had AAA bring it to the dealer and they diagnosed that the EGR valve was stuck in the open position and needs to be replaced. Total cost for parts labor and diagnosis is 702 dollars which seems pretty excessive to me.

Is it just a bolt in part I can replace myself? I did a search on You Tube but could only find the replacement on the Accord and it didn't look all that difficult

I'm already into it for 130 bucks with the tow and diagnostic fee so if bringing it to a local shop is only going to save a few dollars it probably isn't worth the hassle but if it is a 200 dollar job vs a 700 dollar one I'm all ears

120k on it

Thanks

BG

Do you know if it's a mechanical failure (something broke) in the egr valve? Or is it stuck in the open position due to carbon buildup? If it's carbon buildup that's caused it to jam open, you can clean it out.
Rock auto has the egr valve for $172, various parts for it like the spring as well..
Hope this helps...

Most of the time it's the ports that are clogged on those, not the valve itself--so you'll just need to clean the ports. I'm sure there's an online tutorial on it somewhere. This is a really common issue on most Hondas. If you clean the EGR ports every 60K or so it solves the issue.

I'm pretty sure the Fit has easy access for the EGR, so I'm not sure why you're getting such an outrageous quote to fix it? It should take you about $5.00 and $30.00 to take care of it. Worst case, you'll have to get an EGR valve for $100.00.

Originally Posted By: Quest
don't replace it yourself! Get the dealer to do it for you.

It's covered under emissions warranty.

Q.

For a car with 120K on it?

I'm at dealer right now and I am going to go in and ask why so much and to give me a breakdown on the cost

Car has 120k on it so past emissions warranty

Price does seem outrageous. I'd need it towed again but if gonna save me a boatload of cash I'll do it

k... 120k is past warranty (why 120k in 4 yrs old car? Do you guys do 30k/yr?)

Research Rock Auto and find out to see if they sell replacement (Bosch makes the original OE ones for Honda fit, if memory serves).

I see airtex/wells and standard on Rock Auto site, around 170CAD each + shipping.

Check Bernardi Honda (east coast) and see what the price is...

Good luck.

Q.

Ok looked and it is a simple bolt in part. I'm already into it for 100 bucks and it's at dealer. Part won't be in until Tuesday. Of course dealer labor is 115 an hour so 300 for part and 230 for labor and diagnostic

520 total

Lesson learned and will be warrantied I guess. I could save 200 doing it myself I guess but sometimes time is money. No guarantee if I install that it all goes smooth so drat

If it was closer I'd drive it home with foot on brake and gas but 10 miles I ain't risking it making it

Man, that's awful. I've had EGRs hang open and the car just sounded like a lobsterboat at idle... eg very "cammy" from the vacuum leak.

I'd probably bring my tools and do it in the dealer parking lot.

thats outrageous. 5 min with a scanner and 15min to replace = 2 hours labor?

Originally Posted By: Rand

Agreed. You can block off the valve with some cardboard and just drive it home... Cleaning the ports and EGR normally resolves the issue, so this is literally a $5.00, 30 minute fix--or worst case a $99.00 EGR from Ebay.

Sorry the Honda stealership got you. Think the egr is two nuts, a gasket (if you want) and disconnect/reconnect electronic clip. And looks like in Fit it's easily accessed.

Honda top retail for new oem EGR is $260, Curry Acura Parts has it for $195 including shipping and tax. Gasket ~$5. And as JOD mentioned, based on internet info cleaning the ports looks to solve many Honda EGR issues, avoiding purchasing new EGR.

Honda stealer wanted ~$735 for new radiator, hoses and a t'stat for daughter's Civic, and rad. was an aftermarket from Advance. Luckily car was able to be driven, so did I it for her for ~$100 parts, and used new parts of my choice.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing. I feel for you.

some states emissions have lifetime warranty,
call others dealers and find out.
the price is too steep for egr valve replacement, happened to me 15 years back in a 4 cyl accord, I used chemtool and it clogged up the system.
anyway, I paid 110$ for part and 1 hour or labor.

That's why we call them stealerships. I guess they round uf the labour to the nearest hour for each item. I would get the part and limp the vehicle home and do it yourself. The only time my wives civic needed a non maintenance item, with the CEL on was the O2 Sensor. Honda charged me well over $250. Needless to say I've never taken it back there.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Agreed. You can block off the valve with some cardboard and just drive it home... Cleaning the ports and EGR normally resolves the issue, so this is literally a $5.00, 30 minute fix--or worst case a $99.00 EGR from Ebay.

You guys have me interested on this now..... I might limp it into the walmart next door and buy the part at advance auto if they have it and swap out. How do I block port to make it run?

What I'm afraid of is if it isn't the EGR valve and it's a fuel pump or something else

Any chance running a can of sea foam thru will clear it up?? I've had the stuff bring a gummed up carb back from the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back