WWII Servicing of Jeeps, Tanks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
The war ended 69 years ago, so anyone working on vehicles would be at least 85 years old. I doubt there are many 85 year olds on the internet, let alone on Bitog. But if there are, I would love to hear some stories.

There are a few at the WWII forum I mod at. There are also some guys here in their late 70's.

As for the OP, I believe the military was fairly diligent about maintenance and had schedules. But of course battlefield necessity got into the way and there wasn't much use in maintaining something that might not be around long.

I believe the Army standardized spin on oil filtration and used mongrades of 10W to 40W weights depending on the season, with 20W and 30W being the most common, IIRC.

Mobil once had a short marketing campaign about being one of the major suppliers of lubricants to the war effort sometime in the 1990's, probably in '94 or the 50th anniversary of D-Day...

A WW2 mechanic told me they could re-engine a jeep in under 2 hours. Officers from the from had to make a run to his rear location, they would drop off the jeep, and they would work it over anyway they could while they were there. It was easier to swap the engine and rebuild it at their leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back