Physical fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now what does that mean,physical fitness?

Can you walk 2 miles in 30 minutes?

Can you do 10 push ups in 10 minutes?

Can you do 5 pull ups using the 1,2,3 count to the bar and back down slowly?

Can you take an Ax and cut a 6" diameter log in half in 5 minutes, can you do 5 of them in 15 minutes?

Now see, physical fitness means different things to many folks.

The above is just something to think about. I have tried the log cutting one,,,go ahead, do that one first, PS no rotten logs can be used,lol. I am going back to the chain saw as soon as my shoulders, lower back and hands heal....but try the log cutting one first. If your over 50 , you are excused..

Push-ups, easy. Pull-ups, maybe; been meaning to put in a pull-up bar. I'm guessing no on the ax.

Too busy to stay in shape, too many days don't have an hour open until almost 9pm. And I'm toast by then.

Physical fitness to me is recovery.

For example, it's not how fast you can run a mile, it's how long it takes your heart to come back to a resting pulse after running said mile.

Similar with muscles. Can you function on those muscles after exertion? How fast do they recover? Minutes? Hours? Days?

There's a wide range of criteria for that term.

Few more years, thing change. Kids can take care of themselves without me hounding them. Or even stay home alone while I run out for a jog or a ride.

The desire is there, but not the time.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Can you take an Ax and cut a 6" diameter log in half in 5 minutes, can you do 5 of them in 15 minutes?

Now see, physical fitness means different things to many folks.

The above is just something to think about. I have tried the log cutting one,,,go ahead, do that one first, PS no rotten logs can be used,lol. I am going back to the chain saw as soon as my shoulders, lower back and hands heal....but try the log cutting one first. If your over 50 , you are excused..

I ran a 5 miler in 32 minutes once. There were a lot of hills. I was passed by a thin woman pushing a runner baby stroller. These days I'm good for a 7 1/2 minute mile.

10 push ups in 10 minutes? I just did bench press sets the other day with my brother @ 315 lbs. I warm up with 155, go to 225 and then either do sets with 3 plates or max for fun.

5 pull ups, no problem

A 6" log should only take several seconds with a sharp axe.

Why be excused if you're over 50?

Being fit matters just as much over 50, though the effort required to be fit goes up considerably...

I am right at fighting weight now.

Too fat to run....gotta fight.
04.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Being fit matters just as much over 50, though the effort required to be fit goes up considerably...

Agreed. I am 51. Workouts, and the effort required, has become something of a hurdle. Back pain...joint pain...tired....occasional lack of motivation...all increased as I've aged. Do I then stop? No way. I play a game with myself. Tiredness and lack of motivation, I pretend in my head, is the shadow of death creeping up on me. To give in to it means my eventual demise....sooner rather than if I fight, to make it later. That works for me. Sure, any real injury or pain and I must tend to it. But will I ever stop working out? No. In my mind that equals death.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

04.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Agreed. I am 51. Workouts, and the effort required, has become something of a hurdle. Back pain...joint pain...tired....occasional lack of motivation...all increased as I've aged. Do I then stop? No way. I play a game with myself. Tiredness and lack of motivation, I pretend in my head, is the shadow of death creeping up on me. To give in to it means my eventual demise....sooner rather than if I fight, to make it later. That works for me. Sure, any real injury or pain and I must tend to it. But will I ever stop working out? No. In my mind that equals death.

These two comments:
thumbsup2.gif

Unless you are in an organization that requires a certain level of fitness, your fitness level is a competition with yourself to do better, and to decide the level you need.

I keep fit so that in 10 years (or more) I can still do the same things I can do today.

And to answer OP:
smile.gif

Yes, yes, no, and depends on the wood!

Last edited:
My Dad just sat down in his mid 80's and quit walking which was not good. He got stubborn, would not walk,,then he got to where he shuffled with a cane and died at 90 five years later,,unless you are disabled, try just to walk and leave the macho stuff for the younger ones if you can. But if you can still lift weights and run , go for it..................

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

04.gif

Thats awesome! I have to remember that!!

I was pushing 260 lbs at my highest a year or so ago. Last July I was 247 lbs. Now I'm down to 192 lbs and feel great. I don't go to a gym. Mostly walking on days off. I do 25 pushups a day, all at once. Eating sardines in mustard for lunch and another can for a snack. Little by little I'm getting there.

I know what 40 lbs of cat litter feels like when lifting it. Hopefully, get down to 170 lbs. Much more ladies looking my way now.
smile.gif

I try to stay fit within the limits of my body. At almost 49, I'm a 20 year cancer survivor and have cut my BP med dose by 75% in the past couple of years.

But I don't run a 6:30 mile anymore. More like 2x that. I might be able to maintain a 10 min/mile pace if I'm running on my own. Running with my daughter, it's closer to 13:00/mile. We did the Color Run 5k last weekend. With stops at the 4 color stations, we did it in under 40 min start to finish.

I rode my bicycle 23.3 miles yesterday, averaging 17MPH. Brief stop at 10 miles to take off my jacket and for the guy I rode with to take a bio break. We then rode the remaining ~13 non-stop. He rode another 13 on top of that. I didn't as this was my first ride with him this year. He's been out with the group several times already. I've been on more leisurely rides with my wife, but not my 30+ miles rides we normally do. I probably could have pushed myself and done the other 13, but decided caution was the better than a macho display and then not being able to function the next day.

The goal this year at the very least is a metric century, 100km in a day if not 100miles. Just depends on how the summer goes.

But I look around me at my peers around my age and see few who take the time to even try to stay in shape.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: andrewg

These two comments:
thumbsup2.gif

Unless you are in an organization that requires a certain level of fitness, your fitness level is a competition with yourself to do better, and to decide the level you need.

I keep fit so that in 10 years (or more) I can still do the same things I can do today.

And to answer OP:
smile.gif

Yes, yes, no, and depends on the wood!

I think you are right

Seems like many of you are in shape, just dont overdo it..Hips and shoulders can go fast and knees,,,many a guy has overdone stuff and now walks thru surgery.........

Easily. That's just 4 miles/hour which is a nice brisk walk.

Anyone should be able to do 10 push ups in 10 minutes.

I can do pull ups, but I've never tried your method. I'm sure I could.

Sure. Without breaking a sweat.

If your over 50 , you are excused..

Why should someone that young be excused? Physical fitness is a lifelong objective. It's even more important to push yourself harder when you start to age-otherwise you'll sit around and wither away.

Physical fitness, combined with a quality, wholesome diet can mean the difference between getting older and getting old.

The cost of a gym membership (and actually using it) is money well spent. What price tag do you attach to your continued good health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back