Where to find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Walmarts anywhere near me in 3 different states don't have the 0w-40. Of the auto parts stores, I've only seen it in one Autozone and it is in quart bottles and nearly $10 a quart.
Anyone know where to find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 in the 5 quart jugs? I'm in Huntington, WV.

In the past, Pennzoil 0w-40 grade has never been available in jugs. You might want to contact SOPUS and ask if they're planning to have it available in jugs anytime soon.

I'm positive every single WM you went to had M1 0W-40, the most certified oil on the planet, on the shelf for $25. Why the need for ultra unobtainium?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I'm positive every single WM you went to had M1 0W-40, the most certified oil on the planet, on the shelf for $25. Why the need for ultra unobtainium?

Agreed. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 is nothing special. Noack of 13% - meh. As you said, one can do much better with either M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40.

If you want a good price on that oil, you will have to wait for a "Buy 5 quarts, get a filter" sale. You could then expect $32-$36 for the combination. Usually the filter is a premium grade filter.

What's the application? Unless you have an SRT vehicle, this is probably not the appropriate lubricant.

Well... It would end up costing me $6 and some change for 5 quarts after the $20 in free gas I would get from Shell Fuel Rewards.
I can't imagine a better oil for the price I'd have in it for my 1988 5.0L Mustang.

...and could someone give me a brief synopsis of what "NOACK" is? Quattro Pete has said this 0w-40 PUP is "13%."
Can someone explain it to this layman?

READ THIS STICKY first then start a new thread asking for opinions and answer all of the questions listed in the sticky. Most likely, you will not want/need the oil you are searching for; especially if the primary factor is the fuel rewards. How much gas have you wasted driving around searching for Ultra?

There is a lot of discussion about Pennzoil's NOACK. Read any Pennzoil thread and it will be discussed. Going only by ealyre's link, Ultra is going to cost far more than $6. Besides, in the 0W-40 grade, M1 is king but I doubt that is what you want in an '88 Mustang. You'll never know unless you post more facts.

Originally Posted By: Lurgi
I can't imagine a better oil for the price I'd have in it for my 1988 5.0L Mustang.

Quote:
1988 FORD MUSTANG 5.0L 8-cyl Engine Code [E] HO
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS: Lookup Another Vehicle
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)
All TEMPS......5W-30

Ford specifies 5W-30 for your Mustang. What made you decide on a 40 weight ?

Just stumbled upon another thread you started. You have, "an old 5.0L Mustang with 166,000 mi". Sounds like you'd be better off with PYB or Pennzoil's HM, both in 10W-30. If you HAVE to do the fuel rewards, buy PP in 5/10W-30 and be done with it. That could be bad advice too but we'll never know until you post more facts.

As was noted earlier, M1 0w-40 is a better oil and it only costs $5/qt at Walmart - every day price.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

As was noted earlier, M1 0w-40 is a better oil and it only costs $5/qt at Walmart - every day price.

This. And is my go-to oil for pushrod 5.0L Ford's
thumbsup2.gif

Hey guys, I'm poor and looking for cheap oil. I'm not an oil nerd. This oil would cost me $1.25 a quart! There is nothing available cheaper. Its an old car that uses oil. Ford recommended 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40 in the original owner's manual. Why wouldn't a 0w-40 be acceptable?
Right now I'm using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and I got $20 in free gas through Fuel Rewards, so it cost me about $1.25 a quart, tax and all!
How is the 0w-40 I'm looking for a bad choice for $1.25 a quart? Is there a better choice?

I would like an oil that will allow me to accelerate briskly while the engine is not up to operating temperature without worrying about being hard on the internals. The car will be primarily used for short trips because I can't afford to keep $4.00 a gallon gas in it. I'll use our Hyundai Accent for any trips longer than 10 miles. If it matters, I will be running the [censored] out of this car at every possible opportunity.

Last edited:
Why not just stick to a conventional 5W-30 or 10W-30? Both grades will be more than sufficient for your Mustang as long as it hasn't been extensively modified. If it leaks and/or smokes, you might look into something like Quaker State Defy or Valvoline Maxlife, in the same grades as the aforementioned grades. Of course, if you're dead set on a 0W-40 synthetic, it seems that M1 is the unanimous choice. I personally have no experience with the oil.

The problem you're having is that you're NOT getting the Ultra 0W-40 for that price. If you're buying it for the fuel rewards, stick with PP in 5/10W-30. That oil is available everywhere and you will get it for the price you need.

But I can get the GTL Pennzoils for $1.25 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back